Thread: Noise/rubbing on idle

Noise/rubbing on idle

I have a mk6 gti and and only recently I have heard this ticking/rubbing noise, seems to coming from underneath my valve cover, I have done my timing chain 30,000 kms ago and it currently has 140,000 on the clock, has anyone experienced this sound or issue and is it a easy cheap fix?

Users Country Flag
    Can you post up a video of the noise? Or post the video to Youtube and link to the video?

Does it sound like its on one side of the engine perhaps? Im wondering if it could be the high pressure fuel pump (right hand side of the valve cover). Otherwise are you sure its not your accessory belt and/or tensioner on the left hand side of the engine?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for writing back, I’ll send through a video shortly but it does sound like it’s coming from the centre of engine

Here’s a quick video of the noise, I don’t think you can hear it through the camera

4 February 2022 - YouTube

Users Country Flag
    Aside from the injectors ticking, it seems rather noisy in general to me. Can't really help you there.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenMk6gti View Post
    Here’s a quick video of the noise, I don’t think you can hear it through the camera

4 February 2022 - YouTube
    I cant really hear anything that sounds obviously wrong in the video. The direct injection TSI engines are quite noisy at idle so most of the noise I can hear is the injectors.

If you feel something isn't right then it might be time to get your mechanic to look it over.

Does it still run ok?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler