Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: MK6 GTI or R & Manual or DSG

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Randwick
    Posts
    3
    Users Country Flag

    MK6 GTI or R & Manual or DSG

    Hey there,

    Looking for opinions from MK6 owners when choosing between a MK6 GTI or R and whether you would go Manual or DSG?

    Car would be driven max 120ks / week and will be driven start stop in traffic. This wont be the families primary transport but need a hatch to fit a road bike with the seats folded down and ability to fit a car seat for a toddler.

    Ive had a 2016 S3 with a res delete previously and loved the DSG farts, so I am sort of favoring a DSG. But purely from a reliability, cost of ownership and potential resale perspective, what would you choose and why?

    Would you pay extra for the R over the GTI?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    belgrave victoria
    Posts
    908
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tops View Post
    Hey there,

    Looking for opinions from MK6 owners when choosing between a MK6 GTI or R and whether you would go Manual or DSG?

    Car would be driven max 120ks / week and will be driven start stop in traffic. This wont be the families primary transport but need a hatch to fit a road bike with the seats folded down and ability to fit a car seat for a toddler.

    Ive had a 2016 S3 with a res delete previously and loved the DSG farts, so I am sort of favoring a DSG. But purely from a reliability, cost of ownership and potential resale perspective, what would you choose and why?

    Would you pay extra for the R over the GTI?

    Thanks in advance.

    I have driven both the R and GTI (in 7.5 guise tho) back to back and the R is by far the best more power more traction
    more fun end of story!
    My preference is for the dsg tho the 6 speed you have in the the mark 6 will benefit majorly with a DSG tune the stock mapping is terrible Drive changes up way to quick for economy and sport just hangs onto gears far to long irrelevant of the throttle position a DSG tune will make it 100% better
    If your buying a used manual budget for a new clutch as the one in it will most likely have been put though the wringer
    Whatever you buy enjoy
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,984
    Users Country Flag
    I owned both a Mk6 R manual and also a Mk6 GTI manual.

    I'd argue that a manual would be easier to sell as there are far fewer of them available on Carsales etc - DSG equipped cars are in abundance. I sold both of my cars quickly to other car enthusiasts without an issue.

    If you drive in stop/start traffic you may quickly get sick of a manual car - i live in a city where traffic is minimal so i was able to enjoy a manual and it was rarely a chore to drive.

    Golf R
    Good Points:
    - Good grip
    - Feels quicker in a straight line (due to the grip on takeoff and the extra torque) but my 0-100kph tests confirmed there was hardly any difference between them. The additional weight of the R over the GTI comes into play.
    - Much more reliable engine than the Mk6 GTI
    - The engine/turbo in the R sounded better than the GTI (both cars were modified)

    Bad Points:
    - Feels heavy compared to the GTI
    - Under steers when pushed
    - More expensive/complex to service with rear diff/haldex system.
    - Worse on fuel than the GTI
    - Average person has no idea what the Golf R is.

    Golf GTI
    Good Points
    - Feels noticeably more nimble than the R (feels more responsive to change direction, accelerate and brake, less heavy, corners better)
    - People actually know what a GTI is.
    - Better on fuel than the R (around 2-3Litres per 100km difference on average)
    - Less traction in the fwd GTI actually makes the car more exciting to drive day-to-day in my opinion.

    Bad Points
    - Engine reliability issues (timing chain stretch, timing chain tensioner issue, water pump, inlet manifold)
    - Hard to find a nicely optioned GTI (needs the optional xenon headlights otherwise they look very plain)
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Randwick
    Posts
    3
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replies guys.. All great points for me to consider...

    I can spend up to around 20k. There are a few MK6 R's within that budget as well as some higher km MK7 GTI's. Price between the R's and MK6 GTI's is negligible, maybe 3 - 4k difference.

    I'm really in two minds what to choose.. What would you guys choose?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,984
    Users Country Flag
    Mk6's are starting to get old now - if the budget allows you to get into a Mk7 GTI then i would be going for that personally. Newer car, newer chassis, newer engine, etc.

    If you decide to go with a Mk6 GTI, get a 2012 or newer as these had the revised timing chain and tensioner fitted from factory and will be much less likely to give you expensive mechanical issues (compared to the earlier 2010-2012 models).

    The Mk6 R pretty much didn't change over the years apart from standard Bluetooth in 2012 on-wards models. There were no revisions to engine components that i am aware of (unlike the Mk6 GTI).

    I think you should drive both the Mk6 GTI and R and see if you prefer one over the other.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    69
    Users Country Flag
    Might not be helpful advice - but a $20k budget would almost get you into an Edition 35 GTI, which has the FSI engine from the Mk6 R with the GTI's lighter FWD drivetrain. Could be a great compromise if you're torn between the two!

    Of course, you could also get a *really* nice Mk5, including one of the late-run Pirelli editions, with plenty of cash to spare. Having driven both Mk5 and Mk6 GTIs, I don't think there's that much difference in how they feel to drive, although the Mk6 feels appreciably newer on the inside. If you're considering Mk7s I doubt you're in the market for something that old, but they're all still great cars

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    6
    GDay,
    I have a Mk6 GTI, Mk7 R and previously owned a Mk5 GTI...all manuals
    I think if you are looking at Golf Mk6 then GTI is better than the R. In stock form, I found the Mk6 R to be slow, heavy and uninspiring. The GTI is just as quick in real life, with a more nimble playful feel. The EA888 engine also seems smoother. Get a 2012 model onwards as less chance of timing chain tensioner issues. My Mk6 GTI has a conservative Bluefin Stg 1 flash and is nearly as quick as my Mk7 R.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Concord, NSW
    Posts
    188
    Users Country Flag
    I've got a manual 3dr MK6 GTI and I wouldn't have it any other way. Owned a MK5 GTI with a DSG, manual blows it away in terms of feel.
    Just keep in mind, if you tune it, the stock clutch doesn't hold up, so you'll need to budget in an upgraded clutch.

    Cheers,
    James

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Keysborough, Victoria
    Posts
    7
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    I have driven both the R and GTI (in 7.5 guise tho) back to back and the R is by far the best more power more traction
    more fun end of story!
    My preference is for the dsg tho the 6 speed you have in the the mark 6 will benefit majorly with a DSG tune the stock mapping is terrible Drive changes up way to quick for economy and sport just hangs onto gears far to long irrelevant of the throttle position a DSG tune will make it 100% better
    If your buying a used manual budget for a new clutch as the one in it will most likely have been put though the wringer
    Whatever you buy enjoy
    I drive a mk6 GTI, could you recommend me where I could get a DSG tune?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,984
    Users Country Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Quoc11 View Post
    I drive a mk6 GTI, could you recommend me where I could get a DSG tune?
    Underground Performance in Morabbin or Services – V-tech Australia | Engineered Performance in Tullamarine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |