Had a mild panic attack yesterday. Car had been running fine and I gassed it a bit in traffic to change lanes. Nothing outlandish, and as I came off the accelerator pedal it started running horribly, the CEL started flashing, and the EPC came on. Eventually the CEL stopped flashing and stayed on, and the car was misfiring badly. Could hardly drive, had no power, was shaking with any amount of throttle, and changing gears really badly (DSG would hold 1st for ages, then change to 2nd, 3rd and 4th really quickly - was a bit more manageable in manual mode but would still hold 1st until 3000 rpm or more). After a bit of a google search I was thinking it was a coil pack so I bought an SP Tools SP61150 ($119 from Autobarn) and diagnosed a misfire in cylinder 4. Cleared the codes, swapped coil packs between cylinders 3 and 4, and started the motor again. Was still misfiring and after a few min of idle the CEL was flashing again. Stopped motor, read codes, and there was now a misfire in cylinder 3. Bought a Bosch coil pack from HSY ($84) and solved my short term nightmare for about $200 (plus now I have a scan tool). Got to love the easy fixes.