Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The MK6 Fuel Consumption (Most / Least per Tank) Thread

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)

Quote Originally Posted by golfmk6 View Post
    wow you guys are getting some great km's here.. I have the new TDI Golf with 8023km on the clock and I have to say I'm not getting the best km's out of the car. my average is 6.1 l/100km for a DSG and that's not driving it hard.

On the highway I get about 5.2 l/100km with no cruise control and 5.6 l/100km with cruise control.. I have spoken to VW about the usage and they said this is in the normal range so no need to worry

So it seems the Petrol is a lot better than the Diesel.. well have to wait for the lease to run out before I can swap..

at least Diesel is cheaper than ULP at the moment..
    Might be worth doing a manual calculation as the MFD may be out as mentioned.
    I have always got great fuel consumption but noticed improvement when I approached the 17,000 k mark.
    My overall average todate is 4.7L/100 with 95% freeway driving and definitely no aircon.

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    I have always got great fuel consumption but noticed improvement when I approached the 17,000 k mark.
    My overall average todate is 4.7L/100 with 95% freeway driving and definitely no aircon.
    Thats staggerring fuel economy. That equates to 60mpg! So by my calcs you should be getting 1170 KM per tank.

Out of interest are you putting a particular brand of fuel in it or just any 98Ron that you can get hold of?
    I assume the car has a low fuel light. Has anyone got around to crossechecking at which fuel level it is supposed to come on as compared to when it actually comes on?
    BTW I dont have a MK6 just yet but expect to have one very soon.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    Out of interest are you putting a particular brand of fuel in it or just any 98Ron that you can get hold of?
    I'd be thinking he has a diesel - nothing in this thread suggests petrol exclusivity.
    I assume the car has a low fuel light. Has anyone got around to crossechecking at which fuel level it is supposed to come on as compared to when it actually comes on?
    If they are like a MkV. The MFD starts having a hissy fit at just under the quarter tank where the red line starts. Can't remember if there's anything as primitive as an actual "warning light" - I just go by the MFD.

In my 1.8TSI 118kw Octavia, if I really lightfooted around & kept the speed down around 80kmh I'd probably average 5.8L/100km on the MFD (6.1L/100km actual).
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'd be thinking he has a diesel - nothing in this thread suggests petrol exclusivity.

If they are like a MkV. The MFD starts having a hissy fit at just under the quarter tank where the red line starts. Can't remember if there's anything as primitive as an actual "warning light" - I just go by the MFD.

In my 1.8TSI 118kw Octavia, if I really lightfooted around & kept the speed down around 80kmh I'd probably average 5.8L/100km on the MFD (6.1L/100km actual).
    Aha.. that makes a lot more sense, thanks. What you can get on the Octavia with benzine sounds good. Although I S'Pose like you say, I expect you can readily get good economy if you drive simply drive uber conservatively. Most of us don't do that of course other than to prove it can be done

Quote Originally Posted by golfmk6 View Post
    wow you guys are getting some great km's here.. I have the new TDI Golf with 8023km on the clock and I have to say I'm not getting the best km's out of the car. my average is 6.1 l/100km for a DSG and that's not driving it hard.

On the highway I get about 5.2 l/100km with no cruise control and 5.6 l/100km with cruise control.. I have spoken to VW about the usage and they said this is in the normal range so no need to worry

So it seems the Petrol is a lot better than the Diesel.. well have to wait for the lease to run out before I can swap..

at least Diesel is cheaper than ULP at the moment..
    Hey Guys,

well last time I posted the above I'm now getting even worse.. my new average is 6.2 l/100km for a DSG and that's not driving it hard. I'm really driving like an old lady some times people blow the horn at me... arhhhhhhh

On the highway I get about 5.4 l/100km with no cruise control and 5.8 l/100km with cruise control.... whats going on I'm using BP diesel I have done 12,356km and I do not drive it hard....

It has been back to VW but the service dept say there is nothing they can do to fix the fuel issues on the cars.....

Operating in the real world.

Hi golfmk6,
    I think you need to be realistic about your expectations, and be a bit sceptical of what others are claiming. I have just clocked over 11,000km on my Manual 103TDI and have averaged 5.84L/100km. This is not from the trip computer, but a measured average based on the fuel I put into the car and the odometer (The odo. is 0.5% out so that corrects the figure to 5.86L/100km). The trip computer reading is a measured 5.6% optimistic, and would show 5.34L/100km if it didn't reset every 100 hours. This figure is better than I got from my Mk5 Golf 103 TDI Manual, which averaged 6.1L/100km over its 78,000km stay with me. I live in Wodonga, where 6 cars at a Stop sign is considered as a traffic jam, and have done quite a few longish country trips and I don't drive hard any more. My driving can therefore only be considered as pretty easy on fuel.
    Your average of 6.2L/100km with the DSG seems therefore about spot on for similarly easy driving.
    I can't comment on what sort of driving others are doing, or whether they are using the optimistic factory computer for their readings rather than a tank by tank calculation. One can always pick a good run as well. Last weekend I drove to Phillip Island, and got a strong tailwind assist (which can make a huge gain). The trip computer read 4.2L/100km (actual 4.4L/100km) over 560km (which included going through Melbourne) so you can get a brilliant run and brag about it.
    Also, remember that driving on a wet road can add as much as 20% to your consumption, dependant on how wet it is. In the wet you are powering 4 water pumps (your tyres) each capable of shifting a hundred litres of water a minute, so if things have been wet in your area your readings will be higher.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about a figure of 6.2L/100km. To put that into perspective, my friend's wife has a petrol Astra auto. She is averaging 9.2L/100km whilst his VE SS is getting 14L/100km. We also have the much vaunted Prius as a fleet car, and it gets around 5.5L/100km on country trips, although round town it is lower reflecting the hybrid benefits.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I drive mainly in very hilly parts of Sydney & don't get a lot of freeway driving. The car has done about 6,700km's on the odo.

I think it's useful to do a comparison of 2 vehicles with the same driver with the same driving pattern & driving routes. So, for comparison:-

Long term average (predominantly city driving)
    Manual MarkV 2.0 FSI - 8.3 L/100km (verified by petrol fills)
    DSG MarkVI 1.4 118 TSI - 7.7 L/100km (also verified by petrol fills)

If I do trips out of sydney & predominantly freeway driving
    Manual MarkV 2.0 FSI - 7.3 L/100km (verified by petrol fills)
    DSG MarkVI 1.4 118 TSI - 6.7 L/100km (also verified by petrol fills)

The 118 TSI long term average may improve as I approach 10,000km on the clock. For example, during the first 1,500km I was averaging 8.3L/100km between fills.

I'm not really an economical driver - I have my moments where I like using moderate to heavy throttle from the lights.

People driving in flatter parts of sydney & where there are more freeways may get better numbers for a 118TSI
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Its good to Hear that the 118TSI is good on the fuel economy as I am considering getting one.

I currently have a GolfMK4 1.6 Litre and do 100Km round trip every day. Its about 60% Freeway and 40% suburban stop start. My long term average is 6.1 L/100 (did 5.6L/100 today due to Fridays lighter traffic) so Its good to know I can get that economy + have more performance with the 118TSI!

Users Country Flag

118TSI - Fuel Consumption / Milage Thread

I don't know if it is happening to you guys also, but I noticed the fuel consumption of my 118TSI increase by about 2 litre/100km in the 30 plus degree hot days we have been having these last couple of weeks. During my daily commute to work I get around 7.3litre/100km and it jumped to 9.2 with the hot weather and A/C running. I don't think A/C should bump the fuel consumption up that much.

Cheers,
    Al

seems air con is the only reason...

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast