Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The MK6 Fuel Consumption (Most / Least per Tank) Thread

Users Country Flag

The figures quoted whether they be in a brochure, or on the yellow label on the windscreen, are not real-world figures. They are for comparison only.

But, as you're comparing the difference between the manual and the DSG, I feel, given the marginal difference between them, it would really come down to which one you'd prefer to drive.

Red face VW has now (Quietly) fixed the figures

The original VW 118 Man/DSG were incorrect, both on the web site and in the brochures. The CO2 readings were stupid, with the DSG using more fuel but making less CO2. Not only was this illogical, but it was also in contradiction of the fuel figures in the UK where the DSG was always slightly better than the Manual. Even though the Oz figures are different, the relativity should have remained.
    What happened was that the CO2 figures were in fact correct, but they had swapped over (by mistake) the fuel figures. I rang them several times about it and whilst I won't claim that they listened to me, they must have realised the error eventually. The correct results are now on their site, showing the DSG using less fuel and producing less CO2.
    I wonder what the legal situation is where somebody decided on the Manual solely based on the incorrect figures? From what I see in the local dealer, there are still some cars with the incorrect stickers, whilst all the latest deliveries have the amended ones...
    Cheers

I picked up my 118TSI with DSG from the dealer on Friday and I am in love (with the car, not the dealer, but he was nice if you like that sort of thing!). Anyway, on my first trip to work via freeway and a bit of city driving over 23km I got avg consumption down to as low as 4.8l/100km, with an overall avg of 5.1l/100km. Not bad. I emailed the dealer to ask where the engine was, because I thought they forgot to give me one... bloody quiet!

wow you guys are getting some great km's here.. I have the new TDI Golf with 8023km on the clock and I have to say I'm not getting the best km's out of the car. my average is 6.1 l/100km for a DSG and that's not driving it hard.

On the highway I get about 5.2 l/100km with no cruise control and 5.6 l/100km with cruise control.. I have spoken to VW about the usage and they said this is in the normal range so no need to worry

So it seems the Petrol is a lot better than the Diesel.. well have to wait for the lease to run out before I can swap..

at least Diesel is cheaper than ULP at the moment..

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmk6 View Post
    wow you guys are getting some great km's here.. I have the new TDI Golf with 8023km on the clock

So it seems the Petrol is a lot better than the Diesel.. well have to wait for the lease to run out before I can swap..
    I don't think your diesel is run in yet.

Expect your consumption to keep reducing until about the 25,000km mark.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

my 118tsi dsg sits around 6.5l per 100 on average

My 118TSI DSG (Sports pack) is getting some fairly bad figures compared to what everyone else has posted so far.

Long term average is 8.4 L/100km at the moment. With short distant drives of 15 minutes (<10 km) averaging around 9L/100km. Total kms traveled on the car so far is approximately 2800 km. Have also driven on pure highway once or twice for an hour or so, which has resulted in a trip average of approximately 6.4L/100km.

And I'm not really driving the car hard either. Any suggestions on why fuel consumption is so terrible?

Users Country Flag
    2800km the engine isn't run in yet. Your consumption will gradually improve right through to 25,000km.

Short trips = engine isn't up to temperature = poor fuel consumpton.

I get exceptional economy because 90% of my driving is on the motorway between 70-110kmh. If I was doing similar kilometres between (for instance) Hurstville to homebush in peak hour traffic then i know my consumption would be more like 10L/100km.
    Also if my wife was using the car (lots of short trips) - same consumption 9-10L/100km.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmk6 View Post
    wow you guys are getting some great km's here.. I have the new TDI Golf with 8023km on the clock and I have to say I'm not getting the best km's out of the car. my average is 6.1 l/100km for a DSG and that's not driving it hard.

On the highway I get about 5.2 l/100km with no cruise control and 5.6 l/100km with cruise control.. I have spoken to VW about the usage and they said this is in the normal range so no need to worry

at least Diesel is cheaper than ULP at the moment..
    Diesel can take 50-100 k's to "settle in" depending on who you talk to, but I didn't start getting lower economy till about 20k's. Also the TSI and TDI are so close in published economy, that in the real world they will always be close. Remember though, the notoriously optimistic VW MFD fuel figures are a factor.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 10-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

I gotta say I've always had amazing figures in my 103TDI.
    I think the average figure has settled now to the claimed combined figures of 5.3 ltrs per 100 km and that's after driving over 3,000 km.
    My driving is always surburban, although driving into the city of Adelaide at 6:15am isn't all that taxing.

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast