Thread: MK6 118TSI no compression in cylinder 4

MK6 118TSI no compression in cylinder 4

Hi all,

My 2012 Mk6 118tsi Golf with 77,000 km has been idling rough the past few weeks. I took it to a mechanic yesterday who found there was no compression in cylinder 4. After reviewing a few threads here it sounds like its a very common issue.

I have reached out to VW Australia who directed me to the dealer I purchased the car from. I'm waiting for the dealer to inspect before VW Australia will comment on the issue. I have been quoted a few things from the mechanic and also the dealer (see below). I'm really looking for recommendations on where to go from here and how others have addressed the issue

- The mechanic suggested replacing the engine for roughly $7k, not a quote but if I was interested they would give me a quote

- VW dealer has said they will run diagnostics on it, if the find loss of compression in cylinder 4 (which they will find), then they have said $1100 - $1300 to tear the engine down and find the cause. Once they have done that they will pass on findings to VW

Users Country Flag
    Hi ChrisBM -
    I have been thru this issue TWICE...VW did a goodwill repair once and the 2nd time I did it myself.
    There are few considerations here.
    1) This is a known issue and literally thousands of these 118 TSI have had an engine rebuild and its unfortunate that VW didnt do a recall
    2) You can get a 2nd hand engine and replace it (but how long will it last)
    3) If you spend the $1300 to tear it down and if VW does a good will repair then its a good outcome (but if they dont do a good will repair then you will be up for ~$7K to put it back together again).
    4) if you are mechanically minded you can do this yourself (obviously if you have space, tools etc.)...I can provide guidance with manuals, part numbers, where to buy it etc.
    You can PM me if you want to discuss in more detail...Good luck.

Hi, I’m dealing with this same problem at the moment and saw this thread. I’m in need of manuals as I am doing it all myself. I have all the parts but just need some manuals to help. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBM View Post
    Hi all,

My 2012 Mk6 118tsi Golf with 77,000 km has been idling rough the past few weeks. I took it to a mechanic yesterday who found there was no compression in cylinder 4. After reviewing a few threads here it sounds like its a very common issue.

I have reached out to VW Australia who directed me to the dealer I purchased the car from. I'm waiting for the dealer to inspect before VW Australia will comment on the issue. I have been quoted a few things from the mechanic and also the dealer (see below). I'm really looking for recommendations on where to go from here and how others have addressed the issue

- The mechanic suggested replacing the engine for roughly $7k, not a quote but if I was interested they would give me a quote

- VW dealer has said they will run diagnostics on it, if the find loss of compression in cylinder 4 (which they will find), then they have said $1100 - $1300 to tear the engine down and find the cause. Once they have done that they will pass on findings to VW
    Hi Chris
    I dont know if this solution will help or not....but since the cost is relatively low compared to complete engine replacement (or even compared to a just piston rings replacement)....you might want to consider this.
    It helps normalize low compression cyl4 120psi Passat to almost normal.
    Just search youtube for Deutchautoparts bg engine cleaner (can you fix an burning oil for $20)
    Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk