Thread: MK 6 Golf GTI Towbar

Users Country Flag

MK 6 Golf GTI Towbar

Hi new to the forum I am looking at a mk5 or 6 Golf GTI I am leaning more towards the mk6. I have contacted the local VW dealership and a few towbar joints no one seems to be able to get a mk6 gti towbar does anyone know where I could purchase one in Western Austalia or has anyone had any experience with this one ? Thanks.

Golf Hatchback (MK5 & MK6) 3 and 5 doors, Including GTI | Towbars Australia
    Last edited by Gezza; 21-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.

There were enough people who had them installed when they bought the car new that there should be some used cars on the market with one already. The local VW Australia towbar made by Best Bars is the option to look for.

Surprised the VW dealer can't locate you one. As a price guide, fully fitted you should be looking around $1500-1600 for the VW option for the Mk6 including dedicated trailer control module electrics. Aftermarket from Hayman Reese or similar with bypass electrics will be around $800-1000.

Retrofitting yourself is possible but a little bit of a pain. When I had my Mk6 GTI I searched Gumtree, Facebook classifieds and wreckers to get the Best Bars towbar to fit on to mine.

I spent around $300 for one including the VW trailer control module. The physical towbar installation was easy enough, the electrics were a little more painful due to needing to make the CANBUS connection up near the OBDII port above the accelerator. The Mk6's come pre-wired in Australia from rear left of car where the trailer control module is installed to that wiring I mentioned above.

Pic is when I was fitting my bar, good fun!

MK 6 Golf GTI Towbar-img_20170603_155027_798-jpg
    Last edited by Dan_3MPS; 23-11-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Here's a Best Bars one, I reckon you could negotiate that price well down and ensure it comes with the trailer control module plus wiring to the towbar plug.

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF TOWBAR GEN 6, HATCH, 02/09-04/13 | eBay

This is what the trailer control module and rear wiring looks like

Vw golf tow bar wiring and module | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Banyule Area - Watsonia | 1201851542

Note you'll need to cut the rear valance for most (perhaps all) towbar installations on the Mk6 GTI. There's a good thread here in the Mk6 area on towbars and all the options, you should find part numbers you can take to your local dealer for them to look up.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the reply's it seems that one on ebay is not for gti bt now I know what im looking for I shouldn't be too hard.

I can't confirm 100% but I'm pretty sure the Best Bars towbar that was the VW Australia dealer option fits all the 5 door hatches at least. You'll just need to make a cut out in the rear valance.

See my pic above, the towbar gets inserted into the two rectangular holes that are visible.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezza View Post
    Thanks for the reply's it seems that one on ebay is not for gti bt now I know what im looking for I shouldn't be too hard.
    They are not specific to GTI and non-GTI. I bought a 2010 Mk6 GTI with a genuine towbar and removed it (as i had no need for it) and sold it to a guy with a 118TSI. I did the removal from my car and installed it onto his car...took about 4hrs in total.

Here are some pics of the 118TSI i installed the towbar onto.

And here it is on my GTI when i first bought the car (2nd hand)

Last edited by Lucas_R; 26-11-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for that, my options have opened up drastically now. so i bought a 2010 manual MK6 GTI on Sunday once the towbar is fitted ill look at some fun bits.

Users Country Flag
    Congrats on the new car! And good on you for getting the proper gearbox choice.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Congrats on the new car! And good on you for getting the proper gearbox choice.
    Thanks, iv had it a few weeks now and love it.