Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark VI GTI appearance

Mark VI GTI appearance

I'm going to order a GTI soon but there's two things I'd like to modify immediately:-

(a) What is that big black plastic number plate holder doing on the front bumper bar? It spoils the look of the front bumper IMHO. I want to buy a white car and put 6-digit black/white number plates on it, but I'd rather not have it surrounded by the big black plastic thing. Has anyone found a better way to mount 6-digit number plates?

(b) Has anyone removed the GTI badges? I'm guessing the front grille badge is pretty easy to remove, but what about the rear one. Is it a DIY job or do I need an expert to do it?

Users Country Flag
    Rear badge just needs some fishing line behind it and runnig the line left to right, also apparently helps to have a hairdryer or similar blowing warm air at it.

You could maybe remove the plastic plate holder however i think it would be bolted into the front bumper.

If ordering the car from the factory you could request to have it debadged and not have the front number plate surround put on.

This would only be possible on a pre ordered car though.
    Volkswagen Sales Advisor
    Central Coast Volkswagen
    Gosford, NSW 2250
    david.crofton@ccmg.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave8878 View Post
    If ordering the car from the factory you could request to have it debadged and not have the front number plate surround put on.

This would only be possible on a pre ordered car though.
    That would be a worthwhile option. I have slimline plates on a GTI (reflex silver) and while its doesn't look that bad, it certainly would look better at the front, if the line of the bumper wasn't ruined by the black number plate surround.

The small plate at the back looks good, though as its unobtrusive. .

cheers

Users Country Flag
    When placing the order for my MKVI GTI, we discussed the whole plates issue.

The guys told me I really should stick with Euro plates as the typical white slimline will look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
    When placing the order for my MKVI GTI, we discussed the whole plates issue.

The guys told me I really should stick with Euro plates as the typical white slimline will look silly.
    Translation, they CBF to deal with the plate mount delete for you.

MY10 S3 3dr

Users Country Flag
    lol. I didn't bring it up - they did.

Doesn't concern me as I am going with Euro white.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah - I personally hate that plate holder too! Thanks Dave8878 for letting us know that we can have it deleted on pre-ordered cars, because I'll be definitely doing that when I order my Golf R

I don't know why VW put it on there as standard for Australian delivered cars, since only a single plate actually fits it, and the other 30+ (for NSW) don't fit it properly. I'm sure it's the same case in other states too.

Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    Rear badge just needs some fishing line behind it and runnig the line left to right, also apparently helps to have a hairdryer or similar blowing warm air at it.
    Easiest thing to do is boil a jug of water and pour this on the badge. Give it a minute then use fishing wire behind the badge to work through the glue (which melts in the heat). 99% of the glue will then be easy to pick off with your fingers... anything left you can polish off.

Boiling water sounds risky but it works a treat. I de-badged my S15 Silvia in this fashion a couple of years ago no worries.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Axis View Post
    Easiest thing to do is boil a jug of water and pour this on the badge. Give it a minute then use fishing wire behind the badge to work through the glue (which melts in the heat). 99% of the glue will then be easy to pick off with your fingers... anything left you can polish off.

Boiling water sounds risky but it works a treat. I de-badged my S15 Silvia in this fashion a couple of years ago no worries.
    I thought boiling water might hurt the car as well however it works a treat for getting gum tree sap off your car.

Might try this with the Tig when i pick her up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast