Page 1 of 238 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: How to track the car you have ordered?

How to track the car you have ordered?

Welcome to the "How to track the car you have ordered" thread

Is the car in the country or is it in transit from overseas? If it's in transit you can track it with the VIN number here:

https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/
    (note that this website works in IE, doesn't work in Chrome)

Enter the VIN number in the "Cargo ID" field and click on the "Track" button. This will tell you where the ship is.

Once you've found the name of the ship / vessel, you may be able to get more accurate updates on the ship's location at the following URL by searching for it in the "Vessel's Name" box.

Current Vessels in Range - AIS Marine Traffic

(Thanks to hooba for the updated information.)

DO NOT PANIC if you can't immediately find your car once you have your VIN. The car will not appear on the tracking site until it has been loaded onto the vesel and possibly even a few days after that once the shipping manifest has been updated.

Also note that ships can "disappear" from the tracking if they are out of the 74km to 111km range of a coastal shipping port's tracking services. This will occur several times and for "days at a time" during the voyage.

(Thanks to coreying for this updated information)

So how do you get your VIN number, and what is a "COMM Number"?

A VIN number will only be allocated when the car is handed to production. It should be available to your detail at "Checkpoint 8" which is Step 15 of the list below.

This is done in a VW system called NADCON.
    You can request that your dealer sends you a screenshot of the "ETA Data" page from NADCON which shows you this information along with the dates of each step:
    1. Customer Contract Date
    2. Order Entry Dealer System
    3. Order Entry NADIN
    4. Order Registration IFA
    5. Buildability Check
    6. SGW Rebooking
    7. Current SGW Determination
    8. Allocation of Production Plant
    9. Handover to Production
    10. Start Body Shell Shop
    11. End Body Shell Shop
    12. Start Paint Shop
    13. End Paint Shop
    14. Start Final Assembly
    15. Checkpoint 8 Handover to Sales
    16. Start Service Shop
    17. End Service Shop
    18. Exit Production Plant
    19. Arrival Port of Shipment
    20. Departure Port of Shipment
    21. Departure Last Port of Transit
    22. Arrival at Port of Destination
    23. Departure from Port of Destination
    24. Arrival at Final Destination
    25. Departure From Final Destination
    26. Arrival at Dealer
    27. Delivery to Customer

Note that I'm not exactly sure what every one of these steps means. Also some steps can occur on the same day, and some can occur out of order.

You could also request a screenshot of the "Order > Order Details > Car Configurator" page to ensure that the car which is to be built is definitely what you have ordered. Although be aware that it isn't simply a list of the model and the options you've selected. It is a series of 3 to 7 digit codes, some items of which are the options you've select, some options which are in multiple items, and some items which are "standard specifications" for Australia, but which still need to be entered for the configuration! So in other words, if you need to ask a question to the dealer in relation to this screenshot, be nice, because what may seem like a mistake is actually required!

Please note that the Car Configurator page is long and may require several screenshots.

The dealer can find the VIN number on the "Order > Order Details > Car Configurator" page of NADCON, on the "Extended Information" table - which is towards the bottom of the page. The VIN is referred to as the "Chassis Number".

A "COMM Number" is the "commission number" that VW / the factory / the dealer uses to track the car's order from the dealer inputting the customer's car configuration, through production, through to delivery to the customer at the dealer location.

(Thanks to coreying for this updated information. If you have corrections or more information, please PM coreying or a moderator.)

Original Post from ox518.
    Hi all, I have ordered my mk6 two weeks ago. After reading saveferris's thread, I thought I should call the dealer make sure everything is on the track. The guy was quite nice actually, but he just keep telling me how busy they were and he will call me back after confirm with their ordering manager. That doesn't sound right to me. I mean as a sales man you have your way to find out where is the car and how is everything going. As a customer I have right to know everything about my order, right?

So, what should I do now? Keep calling him? Or just wait until the car arrives here? It should be landed in Australia 23/07. I am really worried about such delay as I have already sold my old car.

By the way, have you guys heard about anything from dealer before the pick up day? Anything like confirmation or updates? I mean, at least you have to know the rego in order to buy the insurance........
    Last edited by Corey_R; 28-02-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Updated information in relation to VIN details

Users Country Flag
    They won't know the rego plate number until they actually screw em on, you can organise your insurance with a VIN number only and then inform them of all the rest of the info when you get the car. GIO was quite happy doing it this way.

Is the car in the country or is it in transit from OS? If it's in transit you can track it with the VIN number here:

Enter the VIN number in the "Cargo ID" field and click on the "Track" button. This will tell you where the ship is.

They really don't know much about the delivery date until the car actually arrives at the dealer to be honest, there can be all sorts of hold ups with the docks and transporting etc. I wouldn't be too worried.
    2008 VRS Wagon. Yellow, very yellow!
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullstarter View Post
    They won't know the rego plate number until they actually screw em on, you can organise your insurance with a VIN number only and then inform them of all the rest of the info when you get the car. GIO was quite happy doing it this way.

Is the car in the country or is it in transit from OS? If it's in transit you can track it with the VIN number here:

They really don't know much about the delivery date until the car actually arrives at the dealer to be honest, there can be all sorts of hold ups with the docks and transporting etc. I wouldn't be too worried.
    ox518, Pullstarter is correct; that's the best way to track the ship.
    I tracked my MarkVI from Germany to Brisbane the same way.
    Apparently once landed, it takes approx 2 weeks thru customs, plus approx 1 week for pre-delivery via the dealer.
    That timefarme worked out to be correct for mine.

Once it's landed, you can't track it, except if your dealer is able to keep you updated.
    MY09 Silver Leaf 118TSI DSG, & MY09 Candy White 103TDI DSG

thanks guys, but actually I don't have my vin no. yet. From the order contract there is a blank below the vin No. Is there any problem? Maybe I should call the dealer to get the vin?

cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ox518 View Post
    thanks guys, but actually I don't have my vin no. yet. From the order contract there is a blank below the vin No. Is there any problem? Maybe I should call the dealer to get the vin?

cheers
    Hi mate,

You should call your dealer to see if he has the Vin No. I take it you have managed to get a MkVI that was already built and on a ship over here. My own experience was being given a batch number from the dealer and a build week. Once it was built I contacted the dealer and got the Vin from them. I am now tracking mine using the website listed above. Mine arrives in South Africa on 16/7 and then docks at Port Kembla on7/8.

GTI MY16.5 PURE WHITE | LAKIN PLATE HOLDER | TINTS |

Quote Originally Posted by Ozram View Post
    Hi mate,

You should call your dealer to see if he has the Vin No. I take it you have managed to get a MkVI that was already built and on a ship over here. My own experience was being given a batch number from the dealer and a build week. Once it was built I contacted the dealer and got the Vin from them. I am now tracking mine using the website listed above. Mine arrives in South Africa on 16/7 and then docks at Port Kembla on7/8.
    Thanks mate, mine should be already built and on its way. I just don't feel good that the dealer treated me so differently before and after signed contract.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't be too worried Ox, it took me about 3 phone calls to get the Vin out of them, I think it's just slack assedness on their part. Keep at them though, they eventually get sick of you asking and will get it, not the way it should be of course but a lot of dealers are like this. Jason is spot on with the post arrival time, between 2 and 3 weeks is normal from arrival to delivery.
    2008 VRS Wagon. Yellow, very yellow!
    Forever blowing bubbles.

The dealer will definitely have a VIN for you.
    I didn't have any drama in geting my VIN out of the Brisbane dealer I'd ordered through.
    Keep at 'em!
    MY09 Silver Leaf 118TSI DSG, & MY09 Candy White 103TDI DSG

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pullstarter View Post

I just checked mine! Arrives Melbourne on the 8th of Jan...... Exciting! Thanks for the tip!
    ~Nic~
    Deep Black Mark VI Comfortline 118 tsi - manual/sports pack, MDI

Quote Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
    The dealer will definitely have a VIN for you.
    I didn't have any drama in geting my VIN out of the Brisbane dealer I'd ordered through.
    Keep at 'em!
    Hey mate, what dealer in Brisbane did u order thru?? I havnt heard anything from my dealer, although everyone is saying delayed until April.. I was initially told Feb delivered - Im not willing to wait until April

Page 1 of 238 1231151101 ... LastLast