Support VWWC

Thread: How to sell GTI that doesn't run

Users Country Flag

How to sell GTI that doesn't run

My 2010 Mk6 Golf GTI manual packed it in, last week, drove home fine then a few days later it just wouldn't start. Took it to local independent VW mechanic and looks like it will cost almost as much what it is worth to repair it. I already have a new car was already planning on selling it. Timing chain issue has meant full engine rebuild and then extras to get it roadworthy. It seems a shame just to sell it for scrap and don't need the money urgently. Anybody had any experience with this? Interior is in very good condition for age, exterior minor car park scrapes.

Located in Brisbane, Queensland
    Mk6 Golf GTI | Carbon Steel Grey | Single Clutch Human Controlled 6 speed transmission | 5DR

Users Country Flag
    Part it out
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Worn parts from a 2010 GTI sells for practically nothing and the hassle of pulling parts off is not worth it. It would be better to sell the whole car.

A wrecker might give you a couple of thousand $ if you are lucky. A private buyer may be interested too but even then it won't be for much. its a bit of a dilema ...

How many kms as that has a big impact too.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Worn parts from a 2010 GTI sells for practically nothing and the hassle of pulling parts off is not worth it. It would be better to sell the whole car.

A wrecker might give you a couple of thousand $ if you are lucky. A private buyer may be interested too but even then it won't be for much. its a bit of a dilema ...

How many kms as that has a big impact too.
    It's a 5k job to repair with a new head and chain kit, if there's nothing else wrong with it. No one in the trade is going to a give few grand, for one with a bad engine. There's plenty available for less unfortunately. We know from parting out Polos that the parts hang around for ages and ages.