Support VWWC

Thread: Help Please Cavd to Cthd Swap

Help Please Cavd to Cthd Swap

Hi guys and girls

I am after information regarding swapping out a blown CAVD to a CTHD engine will the CTHD bolt up to my 7 speed Auto?
    my intention is to swap all bolt ons to the later engine if possible, would this allow me to use existing ECU etc
    has this been done previously any info would be much appreciated thanks.

Any Info would be appreciated thanks The engine I'm looking at is from a wrecker, he sells his engines bare my intention was always to use all bolt ons from my CAVD engine though the wrecker believes i may need the inlet manifold from the later engine,
    Has anyone done this change over any help would be much appreciated thanks
    Last edited by WIDGY; 21-04-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Well Im commited purchased a 2014 cdht code engine 70000ks
    Going to change coolant pump and timing belt before instaling

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Well the engine turned up, only took 5 days from Sydney to my workplace in Tassie very happy with the way the engine was packed and shipped.
    Engine came with Super charger and associated plumbing fitted also had the wiring harness more than I expected as the seller suggested he sell's his engines bare, the turbo and exhaust were removed.
    I checked the flywheel assembly it is identical to 1 on the old engine no need to change.on close inspection I discovered the wiring harness to the ECU connection was in a different location so i removed the harness from my new engine and replaced it with the harness from the original engine also discovered the electrical connections on the injectors are different so I swapped these over as well.
    Once I pulled the front cover off the engine I discovered the CDHT still runs a timing chain contrary to information I have been given.
    didn't bother replacing as the engine has only done 70k replaced the water pump before installing after several attempts got the engine in
    sorted all the wiring out without 2 much trouble.
    once I started the engine took a little while to get running properly I think initially it may have been a fuel pressure issue or air block in the rail, once I got the engine running I plugged in my scan gauge (just a cheapy) cleared the codes.
    took for a couple of short runs and no issues.
    at the weekend took it for a 150k trip no issues
    last night went for a short run and the check engine light came on and engine wouldn't rev over 3000rpm I'm guessing limp mode
    also since I've had the car running the thermo fans don't seem be to running, the windscreen washer is not working and the interior fan is currently not working either.
    has anyone got any thought's before I take it to a VW dealer