Support VWWC

Thread: Headunit upgrade and reverse camera

Users Country Flag

Headunit upgrade and reverse camera

Hi all,

I posted this in the EOS forum but got no response so I thought I'd try here since its based on the MK6 Golf.

I've just bought a 2012 TDi Eos here in NSW. I've previously had 2 when living in London and love this car.
    But I want to make a couple upgrades and hopefully someone will have advice.

Currently there is no rear parking camera which I'd like to install and only have the RCD510 but do have front and rear parking sensors (Park Assist 2).

Is there a headunit that will work with a retro fit reverse camera (with dynamic lines, but can live with the static lines)?
    Is there an option to have CarPlay? (not worried about Android Auto)
    And with CarPlay I don't want to have to have a USB cable attached in the front head unit but only have an odd connection media in plug in the arm rest. Ideally would like to connect a wireless CarPlay adapter that is hidden.
    I don't want to lose any steering wheel functionality.

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    The short answer for most people is the RCD330+ or the newer RCD340 like this one:
    VW 6.5" Original MIB RCD340 Android Auto CarPlay Stereo 6RD 035 187 B - Version B

Direct fit with minimal effort and you can use a camera. There are other cheaper options for the same unit (or the one that doesn't do Android Auto) from Aliexpress if you want to go down that path.

Personally I'm currently looking at replacing the headunit in our Multivan (which is the same RNS/RCD as the rest of the VWs) with a headunit capable of wireless carplay as an upgrade from the current one that does wired carplay. We have had a couple of different Pioneer headunits and I'm looking at another Pioneer. You need a mounting kit and a wiring harness (if you don't want to cut up the stock wires) but it's almost as easy to install as the stock radios.

EDIT: This is the one I'm looking at for the Van: DMH-Z6350BT - Pioneer

When it comes to cameras, just make sure whatever you buy has the same connection as whatever head unit you get and it's all good.

Now if/when I upgrade the Van I might pass down that wired CarPlay unit to my Golf, although I will need a wiring harness, mounting kit and camera converter but on the upside I would also be getting a new Bluetooth connection rather than the stock one which is very much showing it's age at this point...

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks @The_Hawk

I've just received a quote for $700 for parts and installation of a head unit and reverse camera (static).
    Android 10 9 inch Wireless Carplay Android Auto Navigation for VW Volkswagen Golf Tiguan Amarok Multivan Caddy Skoda | GTZONE
    volkswagen vw logo flap camera | GTZONE

I didn't realise but it appears all head units have their own mic (including RCD330 / 340) and don't use the car's inbuilt mic.
    Doesn't look like any aftermarket cameras support dynamic lines.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by paros_fan View Post
    Thanks @The_Hawk

I've just received a quote for $700 for parts and installation of a head unit and reverse camera (static).
    Android 10 9 inch Wireless Carplay Android Auto Navigation for VW Volkswagen Golf Tiguan Amarok Multivan Caddy Skoda | GTZONE
    volkswagen vw logo flap camera | GTZONE

I didn't realise but it appears all head units have their own mic (including RCD330 / 340) and don't use the car's inbuilt mic.
    Doesn't look like any aftermarket cameras support dynamic lines.
    My Pioneer HU's have all had a mic input. Is it any better than one built into the front of the unit?? Who knows (they all seem pretty ****).
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 17-11-2021 at 05:44 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've just realised, will I lose the parking sensor view like the picture?
    Ideally I'd still like to be able to see this view on a new headunit, not just hear the beeps. Plus, adding in the rear camera, I'd like to see the camera view with the car sensor overview at the same time like the second picture.

Feels like I'm back to the start!
    Has anyone installed a retro reverse camera with dynamic lines with any headunit and not lost any functionality?

Headunit upgrade and reverse camera-img_0841-jpg

Headunit upgrade and reverse camera-vw_tiguan_2016_rvc_installed-jpg

Users Country Flag
    FYI. I bought RCD360 to replace caddy stock radio to have maps via Android Auto. The RCD360 will display reverse sensors. And it will display camera feed (static lines in my case). But it will not display both at the same time (as per you last photo from a golf I assume). You will need to press the screen option box to switch between the two.

Users Country Flag

With the RNS510 I know you could have a side by side view or switch between sensors and camera, but not overlaid. Not sure with the newer units.

Our Multivan didn't have any screen to begin with, so it's all about the beeps, something you get really used to anyway. In reality, the solid tone still leaves a decent gap so you're looking to the camera to edge in closer anyway.

The Cabriolet on the other hand doesn't have sensors at all, only a camera and I while the beeps can be handy I don't miss them too much.