Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlights won't turn off

Headlights won't turn off

Hi all I have a 2010 gti mk6 with the factory xenon option and even with the headlights set to the "O" position they will not turn off. Always on whenever the car is running. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Not the DRLs?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Not the DRLs?
    Nope the main low beam headlights (and tail lights).

Users Country Flag
    Has it always been this way? If so, it could be the way the BCM has been coded. You won't know unless someone runs a scan on it with VCDS/VAS-PC and knows what they're looking for in the coding.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Has it always been this way? If so, it could be the way the BCM has been coded. You won't know unless someone runs a scan on it with VCDS/VAS-PC and knows what they're looking for in the coding.
    Hmm bought the car only last week

Quote Originally Posted by merlin6014 View Post
    Hi all I have a 2010 gti mk6 with the factory xenon option and even with the headlights set to the "O" position they will not turn off. Always on whenever the car is running. Any suggestions?

The light sensor in front of the interior rear view mirror is not blanked out by a vinyl sun visor strip across the windscreen by any chance? Headlights won't turn offHeadlights won't turn off

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Quote Originally Posted by weonarok View Post
    The light sensor in front of the interior rear view mirror is not blanked out by a vinyl sun visor strip across the windscreen by any chance? Headlights won't turn offHeadlights won't turn off
    It won't be that; the lights are turned off when the switch is in the 0 position, regardless of the light sensor.

I second Umai Naa!! - it'll be a BCM coding issue. Should be easy enough to fix with VCDS.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like this might be coded in the BCM:

Daytime Running Lights - The systems are coded differently depending on the market:

"Daytime Running Lights (Scandinavia) active" should result in ALL exterior lights running
    "Daytime Running Lights (North America)" should result in headlights Only lights running

Problem with the PQ BCM coding is it's 'masked' in byte 18. Byte 18 will just show 00.
    So my guess is someone has changed the masked coding to 'Scandinavian mode' (perhaps byte 18 coded to 3C).

Do you have LED DRLs, and/or LED tail lights?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    It won't be that; the lights are turned off when the switch is in the 0 position, regardless of the light sensor.

I second Umai Naa!! - it'll be a BCM coding issue. Should be easy enough to fix with VCDS.
    Yep that makes sense. Over looked the 'off' bit. Doh

Cheers dave

My issue is a little opposite in that my 'auto' lights stopped working. Sensor still works for 'leaving home' but not 'coming home'. All coded correctly, VW techie tested sensor and no problem. But I now have to manually turn my headlights on.
    I have tapped into low beam to detect when the DRLs are on and thought it may be getting a feed back so I fitted diodes to no avail.

Ah, all these first world problems. Haha

Cheers dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast