Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gremlins of some description

Users Country Flag

On the Mk6 GTI, the hard black plastic pipe that runs along the back of the engine bay (the straight piece you have highlighted in blue in your image above) has a connection underneath it for a PCV pipe. I know on a lot of the aftermarket pipes this is known to leak which could cause the symptoms you are having. It might be worth checking this connection is not leaking on your car (or even put some silicone sealant around the connection).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

A Ross-Tech VCDS cable is definately on my Christmas list, and at this stage unfortunately it will more than likely be Christmas before I'll be able to splurge that much on myself/car. But they are definately worth it from what I have heard and read.
    Which is why I have been considering some of those cheap dongles off Ebay or an OBDEleven. Fairly inexpensive but will get the job done for the meantime and hopefully keep me out of trouble.
    I've managed to narrow down my spark plug options, I'm planning to get some NGK iridium's with the standard 0.8mm gap (the APR guy says they usually gap them at 0.55mm but that's usually for cars running stage 2 with 25psi+ boost. Which I'm pretty sure I'm not running. A friend with a mk6 golf is getting new gauges in the next couple of weeks so I plan to borrow his old one to see just how much boost I am running. But standard gapped plugs should do me and the car a world of good.

As for that pipe circled in blue. I'm fairly certain that it is the original OEM one from factory. I could be wrong how ever I shall try to investigate that when I change my plugs over this week/weekend. I am also thinking my PCV may be on it's way out.
    'Apparently' there is not suppose to be any air escaping out the top of the PCV (according to the APR guy) I am yet to ask VW this question, probably a job for tomorrow. Only a very slight amount of air but it does seem strange. Next on my to do list is watch some videos and do some research into checking the PCV is working correctly, and if not hopefully that is covered by my warranty
    Please keep in mind that before purchasing my lovely Euro beast, I drove predominantly Jap, so similar workings but there is definitely a difference in machines and their temperamental issues. I seem to be learning all over again. Which I must say I am actually enjoying

MY12.5 Golf GTI - limited mods

Users Country Flag
    I had a scary experience where the mechanic didn't fully engage the spring clip on the hose from the intake manifold to the PCV and it popped off when I gave it some gas. Car started to idle extremely rough, threw engine light and would try to stall on me (DSG model) - when all along it was just the unmetered air.

Have a check for any sort of leak in this area if you haven't already.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    ^^ I had a similar experience to this when a plug from my catch can system (on my Mk5) sprung off the intake manifold - which I had originally installed because my PCV valve failed. Since then I've seen a lot of these posts and always assumed it could have something to do with the PCV valve or piping leaking... All the plastic pipes and clips on these systems are pretty rubbish - I've ended up replacing almost all the vacuum lines on the cold side of my engine with a mix of fuel lines with AN fittings, and garden hose with metal clamps. Seems to work alright!

Users Country Flag
    On that thought - in the photos on the previous page: what's going on with the rubber hose connected to your intake manifold (the one that runs under the engine cover)? If that hose doesn't have a good seal, it's going to throw all your boost readings off, and could make it run really rough (ask me how I know...)

Do you mean this house circled in green? That runs directly to the PCV. Green part is the hose and the blue part is some foam type cover, I guess this is their way of protecting the hose from heat. I'm sure high grade insulated hose would do a much better job hahah.

As for all the hoses and lines and possible leaks - I have had a slight investigation and all seem to have a good seal with no leaks. VW has also investigated and played with these hoses and said there is no problem...... on that note, I will check them again hahahah
    I'll get some soapy water and see if I get any air bubbles. VW said to spray some brake cleaner on them and see if the engine revs increase. Not sure which idea i like less, brake cleaner or soapy water. I suppose water would be fine for positive pressure, but any hose that has negative or vacuum should be tested with something not too harmful and actually combustible so it burns away if it gets inside.

I will definately check that PCV line and make sure it's not leaking and causing my codes. (Code and engine light popped up again lay night, was idling a bit rough, very slightly, barely noticeable, but when I put fuel in and started it up, bingo, theres the check engine light lol)

How do you know this maltbbe? Hahaha I'm guessing this is what happened you

And I think I will be buying some high quality vacuum lines and things and slowly but surely replacing all the factory hoses. Also planning to get some good quality hose clamps for the intercooler and intake piping. Metal spring clamps just dont fill me with confidence anymore hahah
    I'm thinking some nice red lines would look good with the GTI grille.... add an extra 5kw of bling power hahaha Gremlins of some description

Oh and I would love to install a catch can aswell, but currently they are out of budget unless I can fabricate my own at work, which I may be able to do and install shortly

I will definately be checking all my lines and hoses.... again.
    New spark plugs,
    New PCV - vw said that aftermarket replacement ones are fine and being about $250 cheaper I'm willing to risk it lol - even for the short term.
    And check and replace some air and vacuum lines and hope that fixes the issue.
    And a cheap version if Vag-Com will be ordered shortly to help in the meantime until I can afford a proper one

So I'm biting the bullet. The miss on idle is getting progressively worse and last night it was popping on deceleration.... back firing I believe. Dont get me wrong it sounded kinda cool, but not when it's not supposed to do that hahah
    So I dont have a new PCV valve yet, I'm trying to find a cheaper one than VW online. However tomorrow I will be buying platinum plugs to go in (the same as what is currently in the car) I'll get new iridium plugs once the pcv has been sorted as I need to order them in.

The other week I did find how much to torque them down to, but i honestly have no idea where that was. Does anyone know off the top of their head what torque spec they should be? In the past I've just gone until they are tight. But being a VW I thought I should do things properly. The way the germans would do it hahah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12