Page 2 of 651 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R Observations and Questions

Users Country Flag

What on earth would you need to over-ride the S mode and shift down for? It already revs high enough! lol

...and yeah, I have thought maybe you want to shift up to shut it up a bit, but then I'd assume that once you hold the right paddle to give the gearbox control back, it'd just shift back to the lower gear giving more revs again...

Users Country Flag
    I wouldnt be shifting down lol...

But as you say in your second para, it will start dropping gears once back in S.
    2019 BMW M3 CS

Interesting observations, sounds like you're happy with it overall.

I think you just have to learn how to use DSG and change your diving style to suit. D mode is designed for economy and I'd usually use this as I agree S mode shifts too high and sounds like you're over revving it.

Re: ACC, if anything Sport mode makes the steering heavier, so are you sure it wasn't set on this mode when you were parking? The normal and comfort mode the steering is quite light. I don't think ACC is that necessary.

Guest1306 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
    I didn't actually know you could touch/hold to get it back into D mode. I assume it's the same for Sport?
    No, Not with Sport mode. Shifting the gear lever into Sport or into Tiptronic overrides the action of the paddles. The car will take its primary instructions from the location of the shift lever.

Quote Originally Posted by HPSOV View Post
    But drive and sport mode let it down.
    LOL the reasons you mentioned are why I like it so much! Want to cruise in my "boring peoples car" golf*....stick it in D. Quiet, calm and relaxed. Don't care if it's lazy, I'm in no hurry. Change to S and the thing is alive. You're not gonna cruise around in this mode so who cares where the tacho goes. It knows what it's doing and I dpn't have time to be looking at the tacho

Oh and I don't see a big issue with the launch control. It's not that savage, it eases off, most likely to spare the driveline some pain. Other cars I've driven with "launch mode" have come with nasty bangs and clunks and still not been as effective as the R.

* as described by an idiot at work who drive a camry no less

Quote Originally Posted by HPSOV View Post
    Did 150km on my R today and have a few questions. I've read the owners manual front to back but it hasn't answered all my questions.

-I've seen people talking about V3 maps for the RNS510, how do I know what version I have?
    -I didn't get any DVD of the maps with the car, should I have?
    -Am I right in thinking voice control isn't fitted to my car? Does it come with the Bluetooth option or something?
    -The 'workaround' I found on youtube to allow DVD's to be played while the car is moving (press voice control button followed by tone button) doesn't work on my car. Is there any other workaround that will allow me to have the DVD running while driving? (for the passenger of course).
    -I have seen people mention new firmware versions for the MDI and RNS, should I be doing this?
    -Every online review says it has a 55L fuel tank, the manual says 60L, can anyone confirm?
    -I think I read that the DSG clutched are designed to last the life of the engine and shouldn't need replacing. Does this mean you can use launch control as much as you like without wearing anything out?

Now for my observations...

Overall awesome. Comparing to my previous cars, an MY03 and MY08 WRX.
    Handling of the Golf is far superior. ACC is the best option ever, the comfort option makes it very 'relaxed' to drive round town, while sport mode is great for when you want to attack a few corners, nowhere near as much body roll as the WRX and far more grip. To anyone considering the R I wouldn't bother getting it without ACC if you're serious about your driving.
    The steering is quite heavy and is taking some getting used to. There have been a few occasions when I have used my 'muscle memory' from the WRX to turn into a familiar corner and ended up not turning in anywhere near enough. I live in a highrise and my parking is 7 levels underground, my arms are tired by the time I get out of the carpark with all the turning involved. No doubt I will get used to it.
    The DSG is both the best and worst feature of the car. In manual mode it is incredible, gear changes are just so smooth and quick, I still get blown away going up through the gears from a standing start (haven't used launch control yet, running it in a bit first). But drive and sport mode let it down.
    Drive mode changes up way too early, 6th gear at 45kmh? really? It feels like the engine is laboring the whole time. If you actually want to accelerate you have to put your foot down a long long way. On the other hand I was impressed with D when I was going down a long downhill in an 80 zone. I dabbed the brake and it dropped to 5th, still going too fast I braked again and it dropped to 4th, it then held 4th even after I took my foot off the brake which gave me the engine braking I wanted, I had thought it would go back to 6th after I stopped braking.
    Sport mode is the total opposite of Drive... It just never changed up gear!! It wont go from 3rd to 4th until 65-70kmh, at which point it in doing near 4000rpm. It will only go to 4th if you're not touching either pedal, as soon as you touch either the brake or accelerator it drops back to 3rd!!
    Basically I want a mode inbetween the two!! I want something that doesn't sound like I'm revving the engine the entire time, but will actually give me some power when I want it. I want 4th gear in a 50 zone and 5th gear in a 60 zone, unfortunately the only options the auto modes give you are 6th or 3rd in both.
    Voice control works on all Nav cars fitted after week46 last year.. As long as its a factory fitted option. Blutooth need not be installed to work as mic is already there in all Nav Fitted week 46 cars. (Golf , Passat , Eos , Tiguan , Jetta) . Does not allow for voice entered street directions because here in aus are maps are not as well programmed (whereis software) as say europe. Version 3 is availble now and its list price is 490 ish plus gst. All cars in the last 4 weeks should have had Version 3 put into. Please see your dealer for your disk if it is not in your glove box. Hope this helps all cheers.
    Phillip Fairhall
    Brand Manager
    Rolfe Renault / Audi Centre Canberra
    Melrose Drive Phillip ACT

Users Country Flag
    hmm.. I picked up my GTI 20th May - no CD in the glove box - no idea what version its running.

2010 built GTI obviously. I wonder if I should have V3 included or provided to me at this stage.
    2019 BMW M3 CS

Users Country Flag
    With the R32s it was normal to have the front about 2PSI higher than the rear due to the nose heavy nature of them. With the R being much less so I'd be inclined to having the same PSI all the way around.
    Cheers,
    Trent

2010 Renault Clio RenaultSPORT 200 Cup 20th Anniversary Edition - #19 of 30 - The French Connection...
    2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 MkIV - #044 of 200 - Gone But Not Forgotten...
    "Racing is life; Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen -=-=- "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Unknown

The little placard says 39 psi all round for normal weights. Up to 42/43 for a fully laden car. Just checked and mine are 36.5 all round as received from the dealer.
    2010 MY10 Golf R (Sold) - 5 Door, DSG, Rising Blue, Leather, ACC, Satnav, Dynadio, Sunroof, MDI, Electric Seat.
    2015 MY16 Golf GTI - 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Grey, Leather, Sunroof, DAP.

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the info on PSI's Treza and HPSOV

Page 2 of 651 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast