Support VWWC

Page 649 of 651 FirstFirst ... 149549599639647648649650651 LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,490 of 6510

Thread: Golf R Observations and Questions

Question in relation to MK 6 Golf R launch control in manual cars.

I've driven one before that was stage 2 and at idle if you flatten the gas, it would build revs to I think 4k.

Our Golf R is stage 2+ and doesn't seem to do this at all.

Does anyone know the circumstances for the launch control on the manual models? What it's supposed to do? Did the stage 2+ tune remove mine?

Also, it's still on the stock clutch, what's a good upgrade for these and who would I take it to in SE QLD?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Does anyone know the circumstances for the launch control on the manual models?
    Launch control is a feature of the DSG transmission; manual Golf Rs do not have LC.

The other car you've driven may have had a feature added via ECU programming to limit revs to a predefined limit when stationary or under certain other conditions, but it's not standard behaviour.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    A lot of the manuals have a limiter on free-revving around 4000-5000rpm - it's not launch control though
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

It's a form of launch control; to limit the revs. I know it doesn't build boost or anything, but I kinda wasn't asking about the semantics of a phrase, I'm more interested to know why some cars have it and some cars don't.

Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    It's a form of launch control; to limit the revs. I know it doesn't build boost or anything, but I kinda wasn't asking about the semantics of a phrase, I'm more interested to know why some cars have it and some cars don't.
    Any high-rev limiter has nothing to do with getting a better launch (or anything else attributed to "launch control"), and all about preventing drivers from side-stepping the clutch on the limiter and destroying the clutch, gearbox, or other driveline components. This is particularly important for high-powered cars with a lot of mechanical grip, where big-rev launches can be very brutal with little or no benefit to acceleration figures.

Some cars have it because their manufacturers have decided it's warranted on a particular model (could be due to hardware specifics/characteristics, the nature of buyers in the market, etc etc).
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Just a general question to throw out there - how are all the R's going? Any new niggles after a few years? Or have you already moved on like Adam?

(Basically, what's the 2nd hand market for these going to be like?)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Just a general question to throw out there - how are all the R's going? Any new niggles after a few years? Or have you already moved on like Adam?

(Basically, what's the 2nd hand market for these going to be like?)
    i would say the engine is very solid (old design and has been thru many revisions) and tested tried abused worldwide and can do 10s on the 1/4m with stock internals and APR Stg3 kit reliably.

fuel consumption not the best if compared to newer engines (that run hotter and leaner).
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Any high-rev limiter has nothing to do with getting a better launch (or anything else attributed to "launch control"), and all about preventing drivers from side-stepping the clutch on the limiter and destroying the clutch, gearbox, or other driveline components. This is particularly important for high-powered cars with a lot of mechanical grip, where big-rev launches can be very brutal with little or no benefit to acceleration figures.

Some cars have it because their manufacturers have decided it's warranted on a particular model (could be due to hardware specifics/characteristics, the nature of buyers in the market, etc etc).
    Still doesn't answer my question.

I asked on a different board and had my question answered.

Thanks.

I just purchased a 2011 Golf R and the brakes are all pretty much due for replacement. I read through the Golf 6 thread and i think the last entry was about October last year. I intend to follow up on a couple of the links supplied there. Does anyone have any more recent suggestions as to which are the most cost effective rotors and pads and where to buy same?
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    I just purchased a 2011 Golf R and the brakes are all pretty much due for replacement. I read through the Golf 6 thread and i think the last entry was about October last year. I intend to follow up on a couple of the links supplied there. Does anyone have any more recent suggestions as to which are the most cost effective rotors and pads and where to buy same?
    Hit up forum sponsors GSL Rallysport / Brakes Direct and they can offer you several choices for pads and rotors. Bendix or DBA rotors are a popular replacement matched to a ceramic or low dust pad.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 649 of 651 FirstFirst ... 149549599639647648649650651 LastLast