Page 650 of 651 FirstFirst ... 150550600640648649650651 LastLast
Results 6,491 to 6,500 of 6510

Thread: Golf R Observations and Questions

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    I just purchased a 2011 Golf R and the brakes are all pretty much due for replacement. I read through the Golf 6 thread and i think the last entry was about October last year. I intend to follow up on a couple of the links supplied there. Does anyone have any more recent suggestions as to which are the most cost effective rotors and pads and where to buy same?
    Most cost effective would be plain face Fremax or DBA rotors and Remsa or QFM pads.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Golf R Mach 6 fan noise

Hi everyone, my R mach 6 has started to make a loud fan noise. It sounds like the fan's kicking in to cool the car, but it happens almost immediately when turning the engine on. When turning the engine off, after going for a drive, the fan runs for an extra 20 seconds then winds down and shuts off.

We've had a VW service centre assess it and they have said their tests indicate there are no faults. Clearly something isn't working as it should be as this the car hasn't done this before.

Has anyone encountered or heard of this issue before?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    2011 Golf R and the brakes are all pretty much due for replacement.
    I just did my R front brakes, got these DBA bits from Automotive Superstore-

DBA2808S rotors (Street series T2 slotted)
    DB2402SP pads (Street performance)
    Price was not too bad (~$500), so far dust seems reduced and I like the look of the slotted rotors.
    But if you go for the basic flat rotor DBA2808E or the TRW cheapie and say Bendix DB2402-EURO+ pads, would save a reasonable amount.
    Last edited by tonymy01; 11-01-2022 at 10:59 PM.
    ---
    Manual MY12 RB Golf R | Bluefin Stg2 | Milltek turbo-back

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by checksout View Post
    . It sounds like the fan's kicking in to cool the car, but it happens almost immediately when turning the engine on. When turning the engine off, after going for a drive, the fan runs for an extra 20 seconds then winds down and shuts off.
    Sounds like normal behaviour when you have the air conditioning running? Did you try it without the AC? Also maybe it uses humidity sensor to run fans longer after stop to try to dry system out a bit to inhibit mould growth from memory.
    ---
    Manual MY12 RB Golf R | Bluefin Stg2 | Milltek turbo-back

Users Country Flag
    My Mk6 R has notched up 150000k's and being 11 years old I was thinking if to stick with the Castrol LL 5W-30 or go with another Full synthetic oil,,Also where do I find a well priced Charcoal Canister which I think is in need of replacement...Cheers
    Golf Mk6 R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfR64 View Post
    My Mk6 R has notched up 150000k's and being 11 years old I was thinking if to stick with the Castrol LL 5W-30 or go with another Full synthetic oil,,Also where do I find a well priced Charcoal Canister which I think is in need of replacement...Cheers
    With 150,000km's it might be time to look at moving to a slightly thicker 5w-40 oil, but it depends on whether your car consumes much oil between oil changes. The Mk6 R engines were hit and miss - some burn oil and some don't.

I got a charcoal canister from ebay (came from China) and it worked well for the year or so I had it before I sold the car. So cant comment on long term reliability.

Here is a locally available part, obviously not genuine. But it saves you having to wait 4-6 weeks for it to come from China: Carbon Charcoal Canister for Audi A3 TT Skoda Octavia VW Golf Jetta 1K0201801E G

And here is a genuine one: 1K0201801E - Evaporative Emissions Canister (EVAP) - Audi 8P, 8J & Vol
    – VAGPARTS Australia

Edit. Found a cheaper option that is in Australia on ebay: For VW Golf Jetta MK6 Seat 2010-2013 1K0201801E Carbon Charcoal Canister Hose AU 6458056156051 | eBay
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 14-03-2022 at 08:18 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    With 150,000km's it might be time to look at moving to a slightly thicker 5w-40 oil, but it depends on whether your car consumes much oil between oil changes. The Mk6 R engines were hit and miss - some burn oil and some don't.

I got a charcoal canister from ebay (came from China) and it worked well for the year or so I had it before I sold the car. So cant comment on long term reliability.

Here is a locally available part, obviously not genuine. But it saves you having to wait 4-6 weeks for it to come from China: Carbon Charcoal Canister for Audi A3 TT Skoda Octavia VW Golf Jetta 1K0201801E G

And here is a genuine one: 1K0201801E - Evaporative Emissions Canister (EVAP) - Audi 8P, 8J & Vol
    – VAGPARTS Australia

Edit. Found a cheaper option that is in Australia on ebay: For VW Golf Jetta MK6 Seat 2010-2013 1K0201801E Carbon Charcoal Canister Hose AU 6458056156051 | eBay
    Thanks for the tips

My R doesnt look to sip much oil at all still sitting a tad under the mark and only drive as a weekender with only 4000ks put on in 9 months

Cheers
    Golf Mk6 R

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the tips

My R doesnt look to sip much oil at all still sitting a tad under the mark and only drive as a weekender with only 4000ks put on in 9 months

Cheers
    Nothing wrong with sticking with the Castrol if you like it, otherwise there are many other options depending on how deep your pockets are.

Most of the good quality synthetic oils with the correct VW504/507 spec will be $80-90 for a 5L bottle. Just wait until Supercheap/Repco etc have a sale on and buy a few bottles.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the tip

With my car at its mid life would you recommend a 5W-40 grade oil and which brand would you consider

Also as This is my first R full mark is it on the dot on the dipstick?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Nothing wrong with sticking with the Castrol if you like it, otherwise there are many other options depending on how deep your pockets are.

Most of the good quality synthetic oils with the correct VW504/507 spec will be $80-90 for a 5L bottle. Just wait until Supercheap/Repco etc have a sale on and buy a few bottles.
    Golf Mk6 R

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the tip

With my car at its mid life would you recommend a 5W-40 grade oil and which brand would you consider

Also as This is my first R full mark is it on the dot on the dipstick?
    It wont hurt to move to a 5w-40 if you want to, but I would normally only suggest this if your engine is burning oil as the 5w-40 is slightly thicker when hot so it can help slow down/stop the oil burning.

I have used Penrite Enviro+ for years, they have the correct VW approvals and come in both a 5w-30 and 5w-40 spec. I used to use the 5w-30 in my Mk6 R as it was brand new, then when I had my Mk6 GTI I switched over to the 5w-40 as it was older and used to consume a bit of oil. Now I have a Mk7 GTI and use 5w-30 again.

Supercheap/Repco etc all stock the Penrite range so its super easy to get, and they do sales every month or two where the oil will be 20-30% off. So I always buy a few bottles when it's on sale.

5w-30: Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-30 5 Litre | Supercheap Auto

5w-40: Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-40 5 Litre | Supercheap Auto
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 22-03-2022 at 10:57 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 650 of 651 FirstFirst ... 150550600640648649650651 LastLast