Page 5 of 651 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R Observations and Questions

I prefer no silver on mine but I don't think I'd even notice after a while.

Does anyone here have a manual golf R? i just wanted to know how it drives b/c the only review so far on a manual one is from
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/71438/vo...golf-r-review/ how does it compare the other manual cars like a honda s2000 etc

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by oshuyi View Post
    Does anyone here have a manual golf R? i just wanted to know how it drives b/c the only review so far on a manual one is from
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/71438/vo...golf-r-review/ how does it compare the other manual cars like a honda s2000 etc
    YouTube - VW Golf R - DSG versus manual by autocar.co.uk
    Only of interest for the stop light GP... but still.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Moz View Post
    YouTube - VW Golf R - DSG versus manual by autocar.co.uk
    Only of interest for the stop light GP... but still.
    Well, if you view it ONLY in that context, obviously. But viewed in the overall context, which is - no matter how good you are at driving a manual (and that guy can flat shift!) you still are not going to beat the speed and efficiency of a DSG. Yes, that means from the traffic lights. But it also means in any other situation requiring you to change a gear swiftly....

It's still like splitting hairs compared to other mods and against faster/slower cars.

Just depends how much driving involvement you want and if you drive in traffic etc (and laziness).

Users Country Flag

Golf R - some questions before final decision

Hi,

Took a Golf R with DSG for a test drive yesterday and have a few questions:

1. What's with the delay when you put your foot down off the line - is that delay just turbo lag? It almost felt more like the throttle-by-wire has a delay or slow response. But dear God it launches hard when it finally does.

2. I'm a left foot braker, I've heard that some of the VW/Audi's don't like it if both are used at the same time and that when braking (even just slightly) it will cut all all throttle. Is this the case with the R? My test drive was in peak hour traffic so I couldn't really stuff hard through any corners.

3. Standard cloth seats - do these have the electric lumber support? The other half, she really liked that feature but isn't fussed on the leather ones.

As for the rest of the R, I thought the build quality was fantastic and the sound of the exhaust was brilliant, best stock sound of any car I can think of. The pop on the gear change is very nice.
    The steering is OK. I'm in a MX-5 at the moment so anything else feels vague off center and has too many turns lock-to-lock. You never need to let go of the steering wheel in the Mazda to make a turn.
    But that engine is something else. My biggest grip against the MX-5 is the gutless engine and the R with DSG is what I've always wanted in a light(ish) non FWD car.

I plan to take another test drive later this week but would really appreciate any first hand experience before that.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by oshuyi View Post
    Penrith VW have one.
    (Nepean Motor Group)

I drove it, and preferred it to DSG.
    (drove S3, MKVI GTi and MKV R32 with DSG as comparison and this is my personal opinion only)

I don't dispute the "speed" of DSG, but for me, i want to be involved in driving the car,
    flicking paddles makes me feel disconnected, like a computer game.

Power delivery in the manual definately feels different. I felt a bigger rush of acceleration
    Perhaps a contrast to the lack of power while changing gears, this may be a testament to how smooth the DSG is
    But for me, this feeling in the manual put a smile on my face

Whilst the 0-100 is unarguably faster, this is partly due to launch control and the prediction of next gear change is clearcut.
    It's not always the case when the amount of throttle varies dynamically when you're fully committed in the twisties.
    e.g. at high RPM, you back off to half throttle for a kink, preparing to nail it on the exit, it preselects downshift,
    when you hit the throttle, it's not ready for the upshift that's required.
    the gear change is no longer as fast as the 0-100 tests.
    even in such a situation, it may not be slower than a manual.

My other concern is that if i can't predict which gear it'll select mid-corner, then i won't be comfortable committing to 8/10ths or more.
    With a manual, i can drive to my full ability, as i know how much compression braking i'll get, and how much acceleration i'll get on exit.

The ideal situation would be to have a DSG gearbox with a gear shift like a manual gearbox instead of flappy paddles. I too dislike how you can't skip gears on paddles.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by G-rig View Post
    It's still like splitting hairs compared to other mods and against faster/slower cars.

Just depends how much driving involvement you want and if you drive in traffic etc (and laziness).
    I don't know about that G-rig.
    To get to 100kph, the guy there changes gear twice and that gives him a 6.4, 6.3 and 6.6 second run in the manual. In the DSG it was 5.7 seconds each time. So he's an average of 0.73333 slower in the manual. Lets assume that I'm not as talented a manual driver as he is and say 1 second slower for two shifts or 0.5 seconds slower each gear change.
    On the way to work each day I change gear an average of 98 times. That adds up to 49 seconds. So in an entire week we're talking 8 minutes. Across a year we're talking 7 hours! Over 5 years, the time saved to and from work by optioning the DSG has like paid for itself!

*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    I don't know about that G-rig.
    To get to 100kph, the guy there changes gear twice and that gives him a 6.4, 6.3 and 6.6 second run in the manual. In the DSG it was 5.7 seconds each time. So he's an average of 0.73333 slower in the manual. Lets assume that I'm not as talented a manual driver as he is and say 1 second slower for two shifts or 0.5 seconds slower each gear change.
    On the way to work each day I change gear an average of 98 times. That adds up to 49 seconds. So in an entire week we're talking 8 minutes. Across a year we're talking 7 hours! Over 5 years, the time saved to and from work by optioning the DSG has like paid for itself!

*cough*
    I knew there was I reason I liked DSG.. lol... PS I love launch control and the Golf R very cool..
    Phillip Fairhall
    Brand Manager
    Rolfe Renault / Audi Centre Canberra
    Melrose Drive Phillip ACT

Page 5 of 651 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast