Support VWWC

Thread: Golf cabrio 118 TSI engine - are there any that are OK?

Users Country Flag

Golf cabrio 118 TSI engine - are there any that are OK?

Hi all - newbie here. I have checked the threads but have not found a similar question ....
    I currently have a 2008 diesel EOS and a mid life crisis .
    Unfortunately the kids (twins) are now taller than I am and I need a car with more rear space. I am still having my mid life crisis and love my convertible. From when I bought my EOS, I checked out rear leg room and surprisingly, the Golf cabrio had the same amount of room (when my seat is in the driving position) as my old subaru, hence want to get one of those. Sadly , they don't come in a diesel here in Aus only the 118 TSI.
    I've read (and heard) about the spectacular engine failures with the timing chain stretching.... in the CAVD one I think.
    I've also read that later on the chain was changed to a belt with less problems (??)
    My question is .... is there a variant here in Aus that is less prone to the spectacular failure and which year or engine code should I be looking for? Have found a used 2012 manual Golf with 119k on the clock and a perfect service history and a rear camera - bonus!
    Thank for your time and knowledge in advance!
    Last edited by Jess et al; 07-05-2022 at 10:55 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The short answer is no, they have all the same issues as the other Mk6 118 TSI's Twin Charged Golfs. The pistons crack. VW used to fix them under warranty/goodwill, but I don't like your chances on that anymore.

In short, if it hasn't broken yet, it will. KM, service history and all that make zero difference. The fix was new pistons that last longer, but it's still no guarantee that it wont fail again, although there does appear to be less noise around engines that have failed a second time after being rebuilt with those newer pistons.

It's a bloody awesome engine, especially when tuned, but not one I would recommend most people buying into... except if you really want the Cabriolet and know the issues.... and I say that as an owner of one from new in 2011 which has also broken and been rebuilt. Mine is manual and under 50,000 too The manual being the choice over the DSG which also was one of the model with more issues.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply, still learning, another question?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    The short answer is no, they have all the same issues as the other Mk6 118 TSI's Twin Charged Golfs. The pistons crack.
    Thanks for the fast reply! I was under the impression (from reading) that the issue was the timing chain stretching and skipping and then you get bent valves and therefore changing the chain helped? I also read that in later years the TSI engines had the chain changed to a belt which sorted the problem out ?? Is that true? ....yes, I know you can't believe all on the net but I have a problem with WHICH bit !!

But otherwise .... basically it's Russian roulette and your number will come up sometime?
    Perhaps I need to google Audi/BMW convertible common problems?
    Last edited by Jess et al; 08-05-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Here is some reading for you:

Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

MK6 118TSI no compression in cylinder 4

**URGENT** Needing 2011 Mk6 Golf 118 Tsi engine advice!!

The Notorious 1.4 CAVD twin charge... a story

Short version, yes this engine has far more issues than others.

Mine was covered thankfully covered by VW so didn't cost me anything. But if it fails again and I was spending my money the plan would be an engine and gearbox transplant from a GTI or something like that rather than trying the same sort of fix again. If it was just another Golf it would be a different story, but the Cabriolet I think is special enough to want to keep around.

The Audi version is the A3 Convertible and it comes with a 1.8T (is there a 2.0L option?) but I don't know a lot about them and any underlying issues.
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 08-05-2022 at 01:49 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Thanks again Hawk. Lovely reading .
    My Dad, the die hard VW fan (air/old only) would have been be horrified

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess et al View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply! I was under the impression (from reading) that the issue was the timing chain stretching and skipping and then you get bent valves and therefore changing the chain helped?
    This is more so relating to the 2.0L TSI engine used in many VW's such as the Golf GTI, Tiguan, Passat etc. They have lots of timing chain related issues.

As mentioned above, the issues with the 118TSI are cracked pistons and gearbox issues (with the automatic (DSG) transmission).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks as well Lucas - that makes it clearer. When I've heard 'stuff' about timing chains the engine size was never mentioned.

Users Country Flag

Golf cabrio 118 TSI engine - are there any that are OK?

I would heavily advise against a Golf 118TSI cabrio due to their spectacularly bad reliability.

I would also advise against any car other options that are convertible/cabrio and a diesel engine, because the rattle/gruffness of a diesel engine plus the smell of diesel fumes in a car with no roof is not pleasant in my experience. A much quieter and less smelly petrol engine is a much more attractive option.

Without knowing your budget etc, have a look at some of these option. The Audi A5 in particular is a fantastic looking car, but its a fair bit bigger than your Eos.

Audi A3 convertible carsales.com.au

Audi A5 convertible carsales.com.au

BMW 2 series convertible carsales.com.au

BMW 3 series convertible carsales.com.au
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 25-06-2022 at 07:48 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler