Support VWWC

Thread: Golf 90TSI Golf 1.4L 2011 Failure

Golf 90TSI Golf 1.4L 2011 Failure

Help needed:
    90TSI Golf 1.4L 2011. At about 140k kms. 3 months out of warranty.

Been having issues with it for the past two years - engine light and epc light would constantly turn on and when I took it to service, they initially said it was a sensor issue. Last year they said it was a gearbox issue and had that fixed. These were temporary fixes as a couple of months (and sometimes a week or so) after service the engine light would turn back on as well as the EPC light. I've had similar issued with some other people in this forum with the car jerking when EPC light turned on, white smoke coming from the exhaust and the car skipping gears on take off. Car would also shudder as soon as I turned into a freeway and went above 80 km/hr.

In addition to all this, after being services last month and being told that the car is able to be driven, the engine light and EPC light all turned on at the same time. After leaving it at home for a couple of days, tried turning it on to see if issue remained only to find that it wouldn't even turn on. Took it to VW and they said engine was misfiring and 3 pistons were dead. There was also a problem with electronic controls. Gave me the option to trade the car in for a new one or buy a second hand engine and sell the car.

Wondering if I have any right to consider going to head office/ACCC for this as I had repeatedly told them about the issue and clearly the issue still remained after each service until the warranty had run out and them saying that I had to cover the cost of a replacement engine or trade it.

Users Country Flag

Hi sux2sux,

Quote Originally Posted by sux2sux View Post
    Help needed:

Been having issues with it for the past two years - engine light and epc light would constantly turn on and when I took it to service, they initially said it was a sensor issue. Last year they said it was a gearbox issue and had that fixed. These were temporary fixes as a couple of months (and sometimes a week or so) after service the engine light would turn back on as well as the EPC light. I've had similar issued with some other people in this forum with the car jerking when EPC light turned on, white smoke coming from the exhaust and the car skipping gears on take off. Car would also shudder as soon as I turned into a freeway and went above 80 km/hr.

In addition to all this, after being services last month and being told that the car is able to be driven, the engine light and EPC light all turned on at the same time. After leaving it at home for a couple of days, tried turning it on to see if issue remained only to find that it wouldn't even turn on. Took it to VW and they said engine was misfiring and 3 pistons were dead. There was also a problem with electronic controls. Gave me the option to trade the car in for a new one or buy a second hand engine and sell the car.

Wondering if I have any right to consider going to head office/ACCC for this as I had repeatedly told them about the issue and clearly the issue still remained after each service until the warranty had run out and them saying that I had to cover the cost of a replacement engine or trade it.
    Yes you do have a case to go to fair trading ie ACCC.

Your first step is to email Jason Bradshaw and explain your case. Then when they refuse lodge a complaint with fair trading.

Under consumer law this is a major fault and therefore entitled to full repair, replacement, or refund. VWA will quote the age of the car being the reason they will not contribute. The recent precedent case of ACCC V Panasonic deemed the expected life of large TV to be at least 7 years despite the warranty being only 2. The TV had a major fault and Panasonic had to fully replace at this age, despite being well out of warranty. With a car there has not been a precedent set on the expected life, but I would have to guess common law would deem this greater than 10 years. Add that it is a known fault with the pistons which VW stopped using in 2013, and tried to work around with a software fix instead of a proper and expensive recall, means we all have a very good case.

We are undergoing the process of reporting to fair trading at the moment.

Seeing VWA has fobbed us off, I am going to help everyone who has had this issue to raise cases against VWA.

I note that a law firm has a class action against VWA for problems with another engine and its timing chain. If I do not get any luck out of fair trading I shall pursue a class action remedy against VWA. I see many members here have had some contributions from VWA earlier on in the past but recently they have stopped all contributions citing the age of these cars. As mentioned earlier in this thread it is VWA`s statutory obligation under ACCC laws to fully remedy the fault so even members who have had part payment would be able to seek recompense.

The basic premise that VWA had a known fault with the Mahle pistons and stopped using them in 2013 but did nothing to fix the problem with existing cars except for a software patch which would only postpone the inevitable failure should be a good basis for a class action. VWA also stating that they only expect a reasonable life for their major selling car is less than 10 years would be damaging publicity for their already tarnished brand. I am confident that this could be successful.

I advise all member to keep on eye on this thread even if they have had some consideration by VWA already.

Quote Originally Posted by sux2sux View Post
    Help needed:

Hi, I am in a very similar situation (golf 2010 VI 96k kms).

I went to vw village and they said that one for the pistons is misfiring. So, they recommend me to rebuild the engine and change the pistons. the total cost would be between 5-7k. They reckon that might be 6k as the car still running and works fine. Also, they offered me a 2 years warranty.

Now, I do not know what to do. my wife does not want to see the car any more, as we bought it like 3 years ago.

Was wondering what did you end up doing? Also, vw offer you to trade the car knowing the current situation of the car?