Support VWWC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf 77 TSi Converted to "R"?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Keep in mind that you can probably negotiate a bigger $$ discount off the R than you can the 77TSI as they have more margin in it.
    pfft you try it.. I would argue the reverse is true as there are more available

No arguement that the R is overpriced but the care factor is low given what you can get for that money of equivilent quality
    Current Ride: MY 16 Daytona Pearl Grey Audi S3- Performance Pack 1, Sunroof and Driver assist

Users Country Flag
    You can definitely negotiate a larger discount on a Golf R, both in % and a pure $ figure....
    As for the R being overpriced... I disagree. Compared to the GTI, GTD, or its sister cars such as the S3, TT-S etc, it's a relative bargain.

Users Country Flag
    Its all about justifying your choice of car to yourself and then seeking others to agree. We probably all do it.

If you buy a 77 TSI when you should have bought an R, you might have some regrets.

If you buy an R when you should have bought a 77 TSI, you might have some regrets, but the smile on your dial would last longer behind the wheel with the “R’” on it!

Users Country Flag
    Amusing thread.

I had a mate who bought a brand new automatic BMW 318is back in 1998 when he could have bought an M3 new.

10 years and at least $150,000 - $200,000 on mods later (on top of the purchase price of $75,000 AUD in 1998 ) he has a dated car that isn't road registerable and has literally spent more time in workshops than generating friction on bitumen. An M3 would have been a much better buy in the first place.

It's a slippery, expensive and frustrating slope and I learnt a valuable lesson from his experience - you're better off buying the car you want in the first place, than purchasing a lower model and trying to upgrade it to the same status.

I'm not criticising people who take their cars to tuners because they desire more performance, but if you want R performance, buy an R.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    Amusing thread.

I had a mate who bought a brand new automatic BMW 318is back in 1998 when he could have bought an M3 new.

10 years and at least $150,000 - $200,000 on mods later (on top of the purchase price of $75,000 AUD in 1998 ) he has a dated car that isn't road registerable and has literally spent more time in workshops than generating friction on bitumen. An M3 would have been a much better buy in the first place.

It's a slippery, expensive and frustrating slope and I learnt a valuable lesson from his experience - you're better off buying the car you want in the first place, than purchasing a lower model and trying to upgrade it to the same status.

I'm not criticising people who take their cars to tuners because they desire more performance, but if you want R performance, buy an R.
    So true on so many levels
    Current Ride: MY 16 Daytona Pearl Grey Audi S3- Performance Pack 1, Sunroof and Driver assist

100-150K on mods... Wow! Do you know what was done to it?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brimway View Post
    Its all about justifying your choice of car to yourself and then seeking others to agree. We probably all do it.

If you buy a 77 TSI when you should have bought an R, you might have some regrets.

If you buy an R when you should have bought a 77 TSI, you might have some regrets, but the smile on your dial would last longer behind the wheel with the “R’” on it!
    Or if u live in Melbourne where it is a total Nanny State when it comes to ridiculous speeding and impounding laws - then any more power than a 77TSI is just an unfortunate waste ( not to mention the harder suspension of the R or GTI on our shocking Melbourne roads).

True.....I got done for going 65 on a 60 on a four lane road at 12.30 at night with no cars on the road, if you head out of the city u can find small single lane roads with speed limit of 110

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Audi A3 1.8 T
    aiming for 200kw atw
    http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...-8t-71747.html

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger11 View Post
    Or if u live in Melbourne where it is a total Nanny State when it comes to ridiculous speeding and impounding laws - then any more power than a 77TSI is just an unfortunate waste ( not to mention the harder suspension of the R or GTI on our shocking Melbourne roads).
    Know what you mean, our law enforcers are pretty tough, They have all the goodies like point to point speed detection etc. This Christmas, they are driving HSV Clubbies on the highways, what a waste.

I was in Melbourne earlier this year and thought the roads were far better than the crap we have here, to be fair a bigger area to cover.

Can't agree with you about more power being a waste, that's why car makers don't just make a "one size fits all" model

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Njay View Post
    True.....I got done for going 65 on a 60 on a four lane road at 12.30 at night with no cars on the road, if you head out of the city u can find small single lane roads with speed limit of 110

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    You just have to be selective of where and when you go over the posted limited.

My nightly commute home from Dandenong South to Mill Park, via Eastlink/Monash/Tunnel/Bolte/Tulla/Ring Rd... Very rare for anyone to be less than 20k over the 100kp/h limit.
    -2011 Nissan 370z Coupe Manual-
    -2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast