Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Users Country Flag

Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

10 mins ago I was driving on my way home and I heard a rattle sound from behind the firewall (from the engine bay) and a plume of unburnt fuel spewed from my Golf's exhaust.

This has happened before only this time the engine warning light AND EPC light came on. 30 seconds after the rattle the engine's running became VERY rough and uneven. Lucky I was close to home.

I rang VW assist, but of course being 5:50pm the workshops are closed & nothing can be done about it until Monday.

So the car is at home, but parked on the street (for fear it will break down & be difficult to remove from the garage).

I've read about 118TSI engines "blowing up" in Golfs in Sydney... but fortunately for me this was a gradual meltdown. I unfortunately won't be able to drive this weekend and take chickie babes out for a ride

Thanks VW.

I had this rough idling before from my 2.0FSI and in that instance it was a defective magnetic coil used to trigger some kind of engine internals. This may account for the 118TSI rough running, but the rattle suggests a supercharger issue as well. Check (if you live in usa): Publix Weekly Ad, or Supercheap Auto Catalogue.

We'll see what VW have to say on Monday, but in the meantime I'm going to stew without the car & start thinking about whether I want to follow Tommy's path.

Sorry for the bad news folks
    Last edited by h100vw; 12-09-2020 at 02:25 AM.
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

When was your car built? I was wondering to myself today whether all these faults coming up on the forum are just a case of early batch vehicle syndrome, or if the "MY10" latest batch are suffering problems too.

Users Country Flag
    That sounds serious. Bad luck mate. Hope it is repaired properly and quickly.

Damn! you are making me apprehensive about my car.

Hey mate, so sorry to hear that, hope your car will be fine. Let us know.
    Platin Grey Skoda Octavia Scout Premium

Users Country Flag
    It's very odd that people are having problems with the new TSI, given the "old" TSI had very little problems that I'm aware of really, and was indeed a "first" time engine. I'd be spewing if a new car did the same to me, very disappointing!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    looks like MK6s are breaking down a lot. VW is starting to make unreliable cars. I was going to look for a Jetta or a Passat for my gf but im having second thoughts now...
    1991 BMW 318is RED E30

Quote Originally Posted by cktsi View Post
    My 118TSI blew up
    With any luck it hasn't really blown up. Probably a zillion things could bring on the EPC light and rough running. The fact that you were able to keep driving it sounds promising. Also the fact that "This has happened before.." and it apparently cleared itself sounds like it is not terminal. When I read blew up I was thinking of my old holden firing 2 conrods going through opposite sides of the block and expiring instantaneously. Doesn't sound like anything serious like that. Fingers crossed hey...
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Rattle from behind the firewall might suggest a faulty catalytic converter.

Did you experience 1) Engine light flashing. 2) Power loss?

This could be caused by a couple of things but the main culprits would be ignition coils/ignition leads/spark plugs. If raw fuel is unburnt, it would lead to the catalytic converter to go superhot and will melt away and cause a blockage.

The funny thing when this happens is that people tend to keep driving the car. Flashing Engine Light means it should be parked and get a flatbed truck and get it looked at straight away.

On point 2 above with power loss, most people would depress the accelerator pedal to WOT. This should not be done as more unburnt fuel will enter through the cat converter and might cause the exhaust pipes to overheat as well. This might also cause some of the plastic parts around the exhaust outlet to melt away.

I don't think your engine has blown. Please let the community know what did go wrong with your car so that we could at least know what to expect.

I'm a track addict and catalytic converters are not made for constant track use. Looking back, I should've bought that No-cat midpipe.

On that note, my track car is running like new.

Ohhh... I bought a diesel, so no ignition coils/spark plugs to worry about.

Hmmm wow thats not good. Hope it gets sorted for you.

I am now worried about my car too...since i have engine noises which does not sound normal. I have described the noise symptoms in the other threads. Hopefully its not a poorly designed supercharger...
    Volkswagen Golf MK7 R Wagon Wolfsburg Edition Lapiz Blue

Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast