Page 67 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Just had the CEL and EPC light go on with the horrendously rough idle. Started idling worse than my high compression cammed 8v MK2 (idles like a harley). I will be getting it towed to a VW dealer in the upper north shore (Sydney). I'm pretty nervous, as the car is now 3.5 years old. I'm hoping statutory warranty covers it, as it has only done approximately 40,000kms.

We've had it since new, and had the DSG clutches replaced.

So.... class action?
    Holy moly! Only 40k kms!!!! I would have thought you would have been in the clear after 3.5 years.

You know the drill re root cause... Coil pack or injector.

Have you always erviced your car with VW dealers? Hopefully if you have they fix it under goodwill.

Keep us posted.

P.s. sounds like you need to enjoy the car more with only 40k kms :-p
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures: Resolved via Service Campaign 24S4

Recall for a over eager fan

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in...itemId/1046339

Wonder what it will take to have the 118tsi recalled

Users Country Flag
    Just had the CEL and EPC light go on with the horrendously rough idle. Started idling worse than my high compression cammed 8v MK2 (idles like a harley). I will be getting it towed to a VW dealer in the upper north shore (Sydney). I'm pretty nervous, as the car is now 3.5 years old. I'm hoping statutory warranty covers it, as it has only done approximately 40,000kms.

We've had it since new, and had the DSG clutches replaced.

So.... class action?
    You have my sympathy. My engine died at 39k, and I'm not confident that the "fixed" version has actually solved the problem.

I would hope it doesn't come to legal action, but VW really ought to do something about this. The 118TSI was their flagship model, Car of the Year, and so on. They should realise how much it will hurt their reputation if they don't fix it.

Users Country Flag
    That's really scary about the December 2010 build tsi 118 having the same engine issues. One would assume the patch applied at the factory has fixed things. I for one never even got close to the published fuel consumption numbers , so i'm assuming my august 2010 build was also patched before being dispatched.. bugger its still a ticking time bomb.

We're, or at least 'I' am a lazy one. I'm probably not going to kick up a fuss with letters to the vw management. Simply put, i'm getting rid of it before the warranty expires and going to tell anyone who can be bothered to listen about the engine & dry 7 speed issues. I would have been happy to step foot into another VW, but on principle, I probably won't.
    MY11 118TSI - sports kit/sunroof/Mdi - United Grey

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dood View Post
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

exact problem I had. It got worse. Then the light on the dash came on (something about exhaust). it got worse. I took it in and they found loss of compression on cylinder one. It was booked in for a full check but before I got there it got a lot worse (jerky ride, loss of power). Warning came on to take the car straight to the service centre. Turned out to be the dreaded fuel injector - cracked piston issue. I finally got the car back last week after about a month in the garage.
    Oh crap. i thought it was my imagination but the car has been feeling a little less grunty of late :S. time to turn off the tune and see if that helps. F@rk!

Only grain of hope I can take is that I haven't felt the shake at all this week? So possibly mine is an alternative intermittent issue
    Last edited by bugsalanko; 23-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Golf MK VI Silverleaf 118TSI
    Installed
    |APR Stage 1 |MDI| RNS 510| K&N 57S series Intake|Golf R32 Pedals| | Audi S3 Intercooler | Detroits|

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsalanko View Post
    Only grain of hope
    Good luck. Or wait til the misfire is really bad to guarantee the new motor vs new piston. Bring on the recall.

Users Country Flag
    So.... class action?
    I'd contribute if there was enough interest! What's involved?

Quote Originally Posted by bugsalanko View Post
    Oh crap. i thought it was my imagination but the car has been feeling a little less grunty of late :S. time to turn off the tune and see if that helps. F@rk!

Only grain of hope I can take is that I haven't felt the shake at all this week? So possibly mine is an alternative intermittent issue
    mine started to shudder a little last tuesday, it was due for a service so i brought it into VW village at Kensington. asked them to check the engine whilst servicing. get a call from them, the guy on the other end sounded like he'd seen this a few times. told me engine was misfiring, and that it was best to bring it back to the dealer and hope for a fix under goodwill (car's warranty ran out in Feb). really worried about it atm, car's not even paid off yet and if they decide to reject the goodwill, i dont know what i will do. plus the last 2 services werent done at a dealer.

Users Country Flag
    Good luck. May you not need goodwill for a pre-existing problem.

Users Country Flag

New thread for 118 TSI engine failure stats

Is it time to start a thread devoted solely to documenting the number of 118TSI engine failures?

I see numbers round 500 on the threads here, and comments such as 'Dropping like flies', but not hard numbers. So, is a thread listing Year/Month build, delivery date, kilometers driven, date of failure, dealer, VW response, (what have I missed) worth while? The mutterings about Class Actions need this sort of stats, I'd think.

Page 67 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast