Page 136 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1378

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I think after 10 years, you run out of your luck. Ten years is just too old in the car’s life.
    Agree the manufacturer is only responsible for so long.

I think even ACCC would have a hard time with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    The twincharger is a beautiful engine right up until the point it is a boat anchor. Us mere mortals don't have the stats to say what percentage of the vehicles fitted with this engine exploded? Was is 5%, 10% 50% 90%?? Given there has been no total recall I would have to assume it's on the lower end the scale making repairs a viable alternative.... but what do I actually know?

We are definitely getting to (if not at) the point where there will be no more freebies.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Agree the manufacturer is only responsible for so long.

I think even ACCC would have a hard time with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't get me worng, for a normal car I would quite agree. The problem here is these engines should have had a full recall and VW should have taken the hit to put them right, not us the owners. That should have happened as soon as the issues showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    The twincharger is a beautiful engine right up until the point it is a boat anchor. Us mere mortals don't have the stats to say what percentage of the vehicles fitted with this engine exploded? Was is 5%, 10% 50% 90%?? Given there has been no total recall I would have to assume it's on the lower end the scale making repairs a viable alternative.... but what do I actually know?

We are definitely getting to (if not at) the point where there will be no more freebies.
    Hearsay.... But my mechanic reckons he's seen 25 die in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
    Hearsay.... But my mechanic reckons he's seen 25 die in the last year.
    Sounds like there may be not that many on the road in a few more years - through sheer attrition!!

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Why? What insanity would lead anyone to purchase that drivetrain? Did you buy first, research later?
    Pretty much. I previously had a 08 GTI so I trusted on reputation and a quick look indicated the problems were with earlier models. I wasn't in a situation where I could sit around without a car and this was the best option available in my budget (I believed).
    To be fair I haven't had any issues with it yet and quite enjoy it. Yes if a manual was available I would have had it but that was what I had at the time.

Sell it immediately! They can go at any time. Ours was purring like a kitty cat and suddenly went. Wasn't a slow deterioration.

Quote Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
    Sell it immediately! They can go at any time. Ours was purring like a kitty cat and suddenly went. Wasn't a slow deterioration.
    Not really in a financial position to do that after having just bought it. Taking it to VW tomorrow to get the pressure accumulator thingo checked and will see what other recalls they can do there and if they would be willing to do a trade in or something.

I'm most likely abandoning my plans to do even very limited mods such as GFB DV+ and a tune to try to increase its lifespan.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Not really in a financial position to do that after having just bought it. Taking it to VW tomorrow to get the pressure accumulator thingo checked and will see what other recalls they can do there and if they would be willing to do a trade in or something.

I'm most likely abandoning my plans to do even very limited mods such as GFB DV+ and a tune to try to increase its lifespan.
    A tune is a good idea on these engines as it makes them run richer and therefore cooler with less detonation, but who knows how much damage is already done with x amount of years being driven by someone else. A tune may well end up being nothing more than a waste of your hard earned cash.

If the car is a DSG then do yourself a favour and drive it in manual mode as much as possible so that you control the gearchanges and you can avoid the engine from labouring (which when left in normal auto mode it shifts up far too quickly and leaves the engine labouring which causes detonation and unnecessary load on the engine at very low RPM which isn't good and engine). Controlling the gears yourself allows you to keep the engine in its desired RPM range (eg 2,000-4,500rpm) where it can spin freely and make good power and torque without over stressing itself. You will use a bit more fuel driving it in this manner but its much better for the engine and your wallet in the long run.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 05-08-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    A tune is a good idea on these engines as it makes them run richer and therefore cooler with less detonation, but who knows how much damage is already done with x amount of years being driven by someone else. A tune may well end up being nothing more than a waste of your hard earned cash.

If the car is a DSG then do yourself a favour and drive it in manual mode as much as possible so that you control the gearchanges and you can avoid the engine from labouring (which when left in normal auto mode it shifts up far too quickly and leaves the engine labouring which causes detonation and unnecessary load on the engine at very low RPM which isn't good and engine). Controlling the gears yourself allows you to keep the engine in its desired RPM range (eg 2,000-4,500rpm) where it can spin freely and make good power and torque without over stressing itself. You will use a bit more fuel driving it in this manner but its much better for the engine and your wallet in the long run.
    Yeah I normally do use manual mode as quite frankly I have always had manuals and like them, the computer seems really weird and wants to use 7th going uphill at 70kph, but in sport mode holds gears too long (imo) and I don't want to risk anything breaking at high rpm. Right now I wouldn't have the $1200ish for a tune anyway but it is a good point if it can definitely help extend its life, just don't want to drop the money and then it all blows up. Really regretting my purchase at this time and have a pit in my stomach the more I read about it.

Page 136 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 LastLast