Support VWWC

Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1378

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Quote Originally Posted by Alrightm8 View Post
    Dear all,

I appreciate your inputs and guidance in dealing with VW, I only wish I'd found out about this forum a bit earlier in my life as I've unfortunately had to go through the pain of being charged $2000 for the repair of a cracked piston on my 118 TSI, as VWA only agreed to cover the parts. I'm not sure if it's still worth tracing VWA for a refund for this repair bill since I've already paid them.

Here's my story:
    1.MK6 2012 118 TSI, purchased as pre-owned from a VW dealer in 2015 (32k).
    2.First pump replaced by local mechanic in 2016 ($800)
    3.Second water pump replaced under goodwill in 2019 (labour $400)
    4.DSG replaced under goodwill in 2019 (free)
    5.93k now in 2020, with a cracked piston, VWA came back and said they would only cover the parts, the labour was $2000, which I agreed to it.

Now by reading your experience, maybe I should have been more persistent and determined when dealing with them.
    Unfortunately once you have agreed to an offer then there’s not so much you can do about it. Your ability to negotiate from the position you’re in once they have your commitment to go ahead with repairs is greatly reduced. Also if you’ve paid for it then they’ll probably just laugh at you. It doesn’t cost anything to try but I can almost guarantee you that they’ll say you were lucky to get what you did.

I think the amount of $ VW has provided outside warranty on this car is significantly more than what you’ve spent. Now you know the sad reality of this engine/transmission it’s time to seriously consider your ownership position. I can’t see VW continuing to fix these for “free” for much longer to be honest.

If you have a running car it’s worth $8-10k but if an engine or DSG replacement is required it’s practically worthless. It just depends how lucky you feel and whether you just want to run the car until it dies which could be anywhere from 10km-100,000km. It’s a bit of a lottery to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 05-06-2020 at 08:34 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Hey all

Back in mid-2018 I posted here about my experiences: #1214. Long story short, engine failed interstate in NSW, thanks to this thread I emailed VW (Jason) and they quickly and comprehensively looked after me. Free hire car while the repairs were done, and delivered my car back to my door in VIC a month or so later after a free engine rebuild.

Now, a bit less than 2 years and 20,000 kms later comes a surprise. After routine service it turns out the timing chain is throwing faults and is very very close to EOL. My question is - how do you rebuild an engine and reuse the old timing chain? A new one should give me 100,000km or so. Every mechanic I've spoken to it really surprised about this fault so soon after an engine rebuild, seems that it's dodgy as to reuse an old chain.

I'm looking to go back to customer care on the issue but wanted to get some opinions and advice.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bgp10 View Post
    Hey all

Back in mid-2018 I posted here about my experiences: #1214. Long story short, engine failed interstate in NSW, thanks to this thread I emailed VW (Jason) and they quickly and comprehensively looked after me. Free hire car while the repairs were done, and delivered my car back to my door in VIC a month or so later after a free engine rebuild.

Now, a bit less than 2 years and 20,000 kms later comes a surprise. After routine service it turns out the timing chain is throwing faults and is very very close to EOL. My question is - how do you rebuild an engine and reuse the old timing chain? A new one should give me 100,000km or so. Every mechanic I've spoken to it really surprised about this fault so soon after an engine rebuild, seems that it's dodgy as to reuse an old chain.

I'm looking to go back to customer care on the issue but wanted to get some opinions and advice.
    Definitely should have been a new timing chain kit/guides/tensioner fitted when the new engine was put together. But they may have kept your existing parts and fitted them to the new engine to keep costs down (for them).

Don't put off the timing chain repairs any longer than necessary because if the chain slips or breaks you will ruin your new engine (will need another rebuild). So replacing the chain/guides/tensioner, although not cheap, will be much cheaper than not replacing it.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    From what I understand it's possible to simply replace the pistons without removing the engine or timing chain so they don't replace it. I don't believe mine was done when they rebuilt it, although I was also only at 31k (and am still only at 38k three years later). Reding through the parts list from the rebuilt there is no mention of chain anywhere.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I have recently purchased a 2011 1.4 twincharger with the 7 speed dsg. Is there any way to check what recalls/work has been done to my car? Car I take it to VW and they will check and perform free of charge?
    Is there anything I need to be aware of? From reading threads here it seems a lot of the problems would be fixed by the time my car was made (plate June 11).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I have recently purchased a 2011 1.4 twincharger with the 7 speed dsg. Is there any way to check what recalls/work has been done to my car? Car I take it to VW and they will check and perform free of charge?
    Is there anything I need to be aware of? From reading threads here it seems a lot of the problems would be fixed by the time my car was made (plate June 11).
    For recalls, there should be small stickers on the inside of the driver door jamb area. They are silver in colour with the recall number written/stamped on them. Size-wise, they are a bit smaller than a business card. Here is an example of what one looks like What's does this recall sticker mean? Got it after first service

You can then Google the recall code and it should tell you what that code refers to.

As for any mechanical work/repairs (outside of a recall) hopefully your service history paperwork will have this info.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Enter vin into link below which will reveal recall history.

VIN Checker | Volkswagen Australia

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    MY 09 JETTA 118 TSI 7 spd DSG

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    From earlier in this thread:

Jason Bradshaw is the head of Customer Service for Australia, there seems to be pretty good responses when people have escalated to him. I agree that I wouldn't want to invest $1,500 only to be told my only option was another $6k or so out of my own pocket or a car in pieces. For that sort of money you would likely consider other options.

A polite email should at least get a response, I would include your back story as well as the advice provided by your dealer and see what comes back. Given the positive results only a few weeks ago it's definitely worth a shot.
    Thanks for help - unfortunately didn't work. Ended up getting shot of car, and as promised I bought a new non VW group car. VW can shove their cars where the sun doesn't shine. Terrible customer service and pathetic build quality.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Standard dealer response and it depends on how lucky you feel.

You have to go into it with a plan for all possible outcomes - not just hoping for the best.

Just depends whether you want to roll the dice and toss $1,500 at it.
    I think after 10 years, you run out of your luck. Ten years is just too old in the car’s life.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I have recently purchased a 2011 1.4 twincharger with the 7 speed dsg. .
    Why? What insanity would lead anyone to purchase that drivetrain? Did you buy first, research later?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast