Page 133 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1378

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Quote Originally Posted by morgs RS View Post
    Very helpful reply as i am also in SA. Thanks. My wifes 2011 118TSI was diagnosed with a compression issue on cylinder 3 this week. Only 49,000km. Solitaire yesterday quoted $10k for new engine or $6k if existing motor is repairable. Weighing up my options.
    Please to now report that the car has been repaired as a goodwill repair by VWA. Once the engine was stripped down and a cracked piston was diagnosed they came to the party with a loan car and had the repair completed in within 1 week. Very happy and relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by morgs RS View Post
    Please to now report that the car has been repaired as a goodwill repair by VWA. Once the engine was stripped down and a cracked piston was diagnosed they came to the party with a loan car and had the repair completed in within 1 week. Very happy and relieved.
    Good result and great to hear the positive outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Great to hear VWA are still coming to the party on these engines. I do wonder what the cost of repair vs replacement with an alternative would be. I also wonder what the longevity of the repaired engines is...

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonbash View Post
    So many of these sale too going cheaper than other engines
    only people in the know steering away from them
    Sadly the Cabriolet only came as a 118TSI, I had a friend looking at one just this week where I had to point her in another direction. On the upside, that was an Audi A3 Cab (although at a cost).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag

thanks eveyone, best outcome VWA came to the party

Hi All,

Best result; VWA contacted me shortly after email to the top. immediately organised a hire car for me (had 5-6 weeks) towed the vehicle across town to the local dealer, and diagnosed at their cost. (diagnosis; timing chain stretched, slipped off, total destruction of pistons, valves, rods, turbo) Goodwill application was accepted, engine and turbo replaced after waiting for a month or so for engine to arrive from factory. Barely driven it yet but looking good so far. We have been very happy with VWA who were extremely attentive. I know others have not been so lucky, not sure what made the difference. Fortunate our claim was accepted before covidf19 hit I suppose. Anyone who has this issue, maybe try bypassing the dealer and go straight to the top, with an email showing you know your facts and history of this engine.
    See svondas emails, (thanks! a big help)

Cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by alexw1958 View Post
    Hi apewearingclothes

Same issue happened to my daugthers 2010 118TSI in Oct last year. I took it to a VW dealer in Adelaide and was advised that it would be unlikely that VW would provide a goodwill repair.

VW would not commit to a goodwill repair unless I agreed to pay approx. $1,000 to get it fully diagnosed. I was concerned that I could outlay $1,000 and then have VWA refuse to provide any assistance.

I took my time and spoke to a number of independant VW mechanics and basically was told that it was 99.9% certain to be a cracked pistion in cylinder 3.

The dealer rang me in early Dec and I rolled the dice and indicated I would pay for the full diagnosis. The diagnosis confirmed a cracked piston in cylinder 3 but no bore damage. The dealer put forward a request for a goodwill repair to VWA and much to my surprise I was informed that VWA agreed to do the goodwill repair at no cost whatsoever to me. All up the pistons replaced plus the timing chain and tensioner.

We got the car back at the end of Dec and it is running perfectly and we are very happy with the repair.

In this instance VWA came to the party and covered the entire cost of the repair. I can only say thank you very much to VWA. They have received a lot of bad press in the past but I can only speak highly of them.

All the best. Good luck. One tip. Get the goodwill repair request submitted early in the month.

Hope that helps.

Hi All,
    New to the forum,and new Mk6 owner Golf with a blown TSI 118KW engine.
    Was aware there where a few issues with this model when I purchased the car didn't realize the extent of the problem. This 1 has cracked the piston on # 4 and has minor scoring on the bore engine was stripped and diagnosed by our local VW dealer the previous owner decided to off load the car cheap.
    The cars service history is good and has been done by VW dealers.
    My Question is will the next series engine CTHD series fit my 2011 model golf (Found a 2014 engine low ks) and will i need to change ECU ect. Mine is an auto, would this also present any problems ?

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread, has been really useful. Have just rolled dice on our Golf. Has been diagnosed by independent mechanic and also VW this morning. Have now written to VW. Will let you know outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
    Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread, has been really useful. Have just rolled dice on our Golf. Has been diagnosed by independent mechanic and also VW this morning. Have now written to VW. Will let you know outcome.
    Not looking encouraging. Car is just over 10 years old, dealership implying I'm wasting my money having the inspection done and they are asking $1500 to strip the engine down and have basically said they don't think VW would pay out even if they submit a goodwill request.

VW replied to me and stated they would only assess based upon dealership advice (meaning I have to agree to $1500 + rebuild cost). Really don't want to lose out on this car and doesn't feel right that VW get away with this. Really frustrating.

Was about to buy second car, will definitely not buy VW group if this is the way they treat customers.

Users Country Flag
    From earlier in this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Axyl View Post
    Jason Bradshaw is the head of Customer Service for Australia, there seems to be pretty good responses when people have escalated to him. I agree that I wouldn't want to invest $1,500 only to be told my only option was another $6k or so out of my own pocket or a car in pieces. For that sort of money you would likely consider other options.

A polite email should at least get a response, I would include your back story as well as the advice provided by your dealer and see what comes back. Given the positive results only a few weeks ago it's definitely worth a shot.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
    Not looking encouraging. Car is just over 10 years old, dealership implying I'm wasting my money having the inspection done and they are asking $1500 to strip the engine down and have basically said they don't think VW would pay out even if they submit a goodwill request.

VW replied to me and stated they would only assess based upon dealership advice (meaning I have to agree to $1500 + rebuild cost). Really don't want to lose out on this car and doesn't feel right that VW get away with this. Really frustrating.

Was about to buy second car, will definitely not buy VW group if this is the way they treat customers.
    Standard dealer response and it depends on how lucky you feel.

You have to go into it with a plan for all possible outcomes - not just hoping for the best.

Just depends whether you want to roll the dice and toss $1,500 at it.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

I have a 2011 118tsi wagon which has already had the piston cracking issue repaired (VWA Goodwill organised by the dealer) a few years ago, but it was rear-ended a couple of weeks ago and the insurance assessor says the repair cost+salvage is about the same as the insured value and has asked me if I would prefer a write-off. I really like my car, but if the piston issue could recur, write-off might be the best option.

So, does anyone know if the piston cracking issue is completely fixed by the repair or if it happens again?

Page 133 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast