Page 121 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1378

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Hi all,

Just wondering whether rebuilding these 118tsi engines is actually a solution or simply a bandaid (ie; replacement parts are the same as the faulty ones).

I’m looking at possibly purchasing a MY11 118tsi which has been rebuilt by a VW dealership with 2 years warranty.

While the warranty is somewhat of a safeguard, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the longevity of a rebuild.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not just the motor in these that are a ticking time bomb. The 7 speed DSG is only slightly better...

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by sajochi View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering whether rebuilding these 118tsi engines is actually a solution or simply a bandaid (ie; replacement parts are the same as the faulty ones).

I’m looking at possibly purchasing a MY11 118tsi which has been rebuilt by a VW dealership with 2 years warranty.

While the warranty is somewhat of a safeguard, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the longevity of a rebuild.

Cheers

If it's been rebuilt by VW then it should have stronger pistons (post 2012 pistons). You'd think that would be the case but it may not be. If that is the case then it is much less likely to have a decompression failure. This is simplifying it but the engines as designed ran too hot and too lean from the factory. The air-fuel ratio was adjusted by VW but they still ran too hot and kept popping.

To avoid catastrophic failure, you either have to strengthen to first point of failure (pistons) or address the root cause (temperature). The rebuild should have eliminated this problem for you IF they used the uprated pistons.

If you go ahead with the purchase you'd do very well to find yourself a Mk6 Golf R intercooler and get it installed to lower the intake temperature of the engine. That's not a particularly expensive exercise, it fits right in and should be viewed as appropriate for our hot climate. These cars should have come like that from the factory. I'd highly recommend doing that even if you have no intention of tuning the car for performance.

You should only use good quality 98 octane fuel and do 5,000km oil changes but that stands for any turbo charged engine you want to keep in good shape.

Issue is actually resolved by VW with an update. Early CAV equipped vehicles were running ~14.7:1 a/f whilst under load, after updating that dropped found to around 11.7:1 if i recall.

I was actually looking to do exchange low cost rebuilt motors from home, however arranging shipping for a blown motor continued to be too difficult with the owners so i eventually gave up. This is going back to years but pretty sure i had worked the part cost down to ~1000, including timing chain kit and the vvt cam sprocket.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Hi everyone,

My 2011 118TSI engine has low compression in a cylinder and planning to contact VWA to pursue a potential goodwill repair.

My concern in this process is that I have a few modifications: namely a cold air intake, a tune, Polar FIS advanced and other non-engine things (eg. control arm kit, upgraded stereo). My car is generally in good condition and driven <90K.

Do you think this would kill my chances with VW? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sim118 View Post
    Hi everyone,

My 2011 118TSI engine has low compression in a cylinder and planning to contact VWA to pursue a potential goodwill repair.

My concern in this process is that I have a few modifications: namely a cold air intake, a tune, Polar FIS advanced and other non-engine things (eg. control arm kit, upgraded stereo). My car is generally in good condition and driven <90K.

Do you think this would kill my chances with VW? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks.
    Yes, you'd do well to go back to your tuner and have them do their best to get the ECU returned to stock (for the purposes of the engine repair goodwill) as far as is possible. Should only cost you labour to get the tune taken off and then put back on again after your claim. If they check it out and say it's been messed with, claim ignorance.

The other mods could be argued as being unrelated. Once it's fixed get yourself a golf r intercooler and downpipe so you run cooler intake and exhaust temps.

Before you take it in make sure you do a full battery drain to clear the codes etc.

If you get stonewalled hit me up with a DM, I've got links galore to forged engine internals, parts, wreckers etc.
    Last edited by Mk R; 02-07-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Hi guys,

My late 2010 Jetta 118TSI has started to flash the engine / catalytic converter light and is idling very rough, same symptoms as described here.

I'm going to take it to VW on Monday for a diagnosis. After reading many of the pages here I'm a bit worried.

If it is a piston / engine rebuild I'll try to get it repaired by VW as some have for free / goodwill.

Is it possible for those who have written letters / emails to VW and have been successful to post examples and also the email addresses to which they sent those letters.

Would also be good to know which dealerships did repair under goodwill etc.... would help others in the future as many of these engines are approaching 100k++

I'm in VIC so any suggestions on which dealer to take the car too would be appreciated, can town it fair distance so thats not an issue.

In my case the car has 97k and always serviced with VW. Also have receipts for pretty much all petrol purchases past 2 to 3 years which show 98 premium always used.

Hopefully this will support any future cases..

Yapa

I have a 2012 MK6 118tsi manual which I have owned since new. Is there anyway to determine if my engine could be susceptible to failure?

Hi Yapa,

I think you should contact VW Experience about your situation once the dealer confirms your engine is misfiring. VW Experience has been sympathetic and helpful in my experience recently (I'm currently dealing with them regarding my Golf - no payment needed and loan car given). Your dealer should submit a claim on your behalf too. Hopefully they will extend the goodwill that was given to me to you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapa View Post
    Hi guys,

My late 2010 Jetta 118TSI has started to flash the engine / catalytic converter light and is idling very rough, same symptoms as described here.

I'm going to take it to VW on Monday for a diagnosis. After reading many of the pages here I'm a bit worried.

If it is a piston / engine rebuild I'll try to get it repaired by VW as some have for free / goodwill.

Is it possible for those who have written letters / emails to VW and have been successful to post examples and also the email addresses to which they sent those letters.

Would also be good to know which dealerships did repair under goodwill etc.... would help others in the future as many of these engines are approaching 100k++

I'm in VIC so any suggestions on which dealer to take the car too would be appreciated, can town it fair distance so thats not an issue.

In my case the car has 97k and always serviced with VW. Also have receipts for pretty much all petrol purchases past 2 to 3 years which show 98 premium always used.

Hopefully this will support any future cases..

Yapa

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sim118; 10-07-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metzy View Post
    I have a 2012 MK6 118tsi manual which I have owned since new. Is there anyway to determine if my engine could be susceptible to failure?
    You could get a compression test which may tell you if there's early signs of failure. The engine code (which should be in your owners manual) should tell you what revision engine you have (earlier models have CAVD and later 2013+ is CTHD). Though if you read posts ealier in the thread the pistons got upgraded in the 2012 CAVD engines which are a lot better.

I'm not sure how you tell if the pistons you have in a CAVD engine are upgraded but if you spoke to VW they may be able to tell you.

Though you dodged a bullet by buying a manual....

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 121 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast