Support VWWC

Page 32 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 265coupe View Post
    Oh, and I asked my mother about the petrol for her Golf. She said see just read the book. If the book said 95 then that's what pump she filled from. She's prudent. Always buys name brand Baked Beans and throws out deli meats after 2 days in fridge, just to be sure. But start talking Sulfer ppm or BPs better than Caltex and she laughed. 'They're all the same' she says. And you gueseed it, she doesn't subscribe to internet forums. Hasn't quite got a handle on the whole www thing.
    So I don't know what your book says, but mine says "follow the instructions on the fuel filler flap". And when you open up the fuel cap, it has written in very large letters "98" and "super premium unleaded" with a much smaller "(min 95 ron)" underneath it. My interpretation of that is "use 98 whenever you possibly can, or 95 if you can't get it". Hopefully that's how other people would read it, too.

While BP advertise a low sulfur content for their Ultimate 98 fuel, that 50 ppm that they quote is actually what's required by law for all 95RON and 98RON fuels in Australia. Personally I've had no problem taking an "all fuel brands are the same" approach here in Western Australia; but all of our fuel comes from the local BP refinery and I haven't seen anybody selling petrol diluted with ethanol here yet.
    Golf 118 TSI DSG, white with sports pack.

Users Country Flag
    265coupe, this is what warranties are for.
    What car company HASN'T had an engine and/or gearbox fail and have had to replace it?

Toyota and Honda are well known for their very reliable engines... and if you like their current product, then go and buy them. I personally had a toyota gearbox fail, and have a friend with a Honda gearbox fail. Subaru had many engines fail in Australia in the recent years... they did the same as VW have done - replace the entire engine. That's what warranties are for.

Users Country Flag
    This whole episode with the failed engines is very unfortunate. I've had my car reflashed with the supposed fix. Once that is rolled out completely to all TSI cars here in AU, I hope it puts an end to the issue. It wont help with resale if the real story gets out to the public. I only keep my cars (daily drivers) for no more than a year or two max so resale is important to me.

This will be my first and only VW - moving to an Audi S5 at the end of the year. Whole experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth, although my car has been fine, it only has 4000km on it. I had the squeeky water pump fixed a month ago - two days after the fix, I noticed that car was down on power big time. Lifting the bonnet, I found the boost pipe coming off the turbo loose. Turns out, a bolt had fallen out holding the boost pipe to the turbo and most of the air was being vented to atmosphere.

Mark

This situation is bad, very bad. Discount the VW apoligists on this forum and look at the facts of VW recent history.

DSGs in the States with free extended (10year) warranties cos they blow up. No such offer in Oz though. Seems a little bad PR isn't enough to make VWA look after buyers. And don't think that just because you intend to flick you DSG eqipped Golf in 2 years it won't hurt you. Who would pay good money for a grenade ($15000 rebuild just waiting).

Now we have the most popular model with the potential to also grenade. Requires a new crate engine to at least get back to where we were when we bought the car just a few short months ago. Not to mention 4-6 weeks off the road and the concerted repair efforts of a bunch of mechanics that some of you won't even trust with doing an oil change on your own pride and joy.

Plenty of mention that no ones perfect, recalls happen all the time blah, blah. Bullshix! these aren't floor mats that foul the pedals or mufflers too close to the exhaust or power steering lines rubbing or headlights misting up. Engines and gearboxes are fundamentals. They must be completely right before production can commence.

Oh, and I asked my mother about the petrol for her Golf. She said see just read the book. If the book said 95 then that's what pump she filled from. She's prudent. Always buys name brand Baked Beans and throws out deli meats after 2 days in fridge, just to be sure. But start talking Sulfer ppm or BPs better than Caltex and she laughed. 'They're all the same' she says. And you gueseed it, she doesn't subscribe to internet forums. Hasn't quite got a handle on the whole www thing.

She'll be mightily pissed off if the Golf starts the death rattle. I can hear her now. "But they said it was [World]Car of the Year"
    This is a way over the rant top especially from someone whose car is OK.

Users Country Flag
    Please keep in mind the new POLO GTI, using the same TSI motor, but power output now (From memory) about 132KW
    So VW have faith in the design.
    Just have to compensate for Australia 'Dirty Fuel??
    OR, was there a mistake not correcting for possible use of 92RON?
    Wonder how much problems are caused by dirty fuel affecting Lambda probes?
    Apparently was an issue, reported by Daily Telegraph two or three months ago.
    Hope any corrections take place before my car is built!
    MY13 Passat 130TDI Sedan. Autumn Brown Metalic, Desert Beige seats. Sat nav, Rev camera, Dynaudio, 12way adj seats. No ACC Previous Golf 118 TSI with ACC given to my son

Quote Originally Posted by PassatB6 View Post
    This is a way over the rant top especially from someone whose car is OK.
    No need to get personal VW Apoligist Number 'PassatB6'. And how do you know mine's OK. I've got the letter so obviously mine could go bang anytime.

I didn't make the big spend to get into a quality VW to end up in the queue at my VW service desk with the friendy attendant checking the planner and offering me a date in August to pick up my 'new' TSI118 Golf.

I guess it easy being smug when your car is not affected.

No need to get personal VW Apoligist Number 'PassatB6'. And how do you know mine's OK. I've got the letter so obviously mine could go bang anytime.
    Yeah sure it could but the chances of that are incredibly remote.

I didn't make the big spend to get into a quality VW to end up in the queue at my VW service desk with the friendy attendant checking the planner and offering me a date in August to pick up my 'new' TSI118 Golf.
    You might want to lower your unrealistic expectations next time and suck it up.

Going over the top much? Sheesh.

Not meant to be personal but you're talking like it was your car that had already blown. We all own VWs here. I guess any of them could explode at any time. But they probably won't. I'm not losing any sleep.

Don't mean to rile you but its just that people here usually complain about problems they already have. Its bad for the people who have had problems but neither you or I are one of them.

.... I've got the letter so obviously mine could go bang anytime.
    ... my VW service desk with the friendy attendant checking the planner and offering me a date in August to pick up my 'new' TSI118 Golf.
    By this, do you mean they cannot reflash your ECU with the SC24S4 update until August? If so can just a suggestion. Pick up the phone and ring around a few dealers. My local dealer offered a 3 week wait, so I rang another dealer and was able to get it done the very next day. If you are genuinely concerned, getting the fix applied quicker SC24S4 may ease your worries.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Users Country Flag

Toyota and Honda are well known for their very reliable engines... and if you like their current product, then go and buy them. I personally had a toyota gearbox fail, and have a friend with a Honda gearbox fail. Subaru had many engines fail in Australia in the recent years... they did the same as VW have done - replace the entire engine. That's what warranties are for.

Toyota have had to apologise big time in USA. Luxury Prius and Lexus very serious safety problems
    My present Corolla required wheel bearings LH side, 20K later, had RH side bearings replaced.

Yes, possible problems are a big worry. That's why I decided to purchase the extended warrenty after reading of problems via this forum.
    MY13 Passat 130TDI Sedan. Autumn Brown Metalic, Desert Beige seats. Sat nav, Rev camera, Dynaudio, 12way adj seats. No ACC Previous Golf 118 TSI with ACC given to my son

Page 32 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast