Support VWWC

Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Users Country Flag

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd imagine they would have removed the injector to do the compression tests through the hole in the head where the injector sat. If they had no compression when it was dry, putting oil in the cylinder would act as a seal around the rings. Therefore if the wet test is good that indicates - as gerhard stated - that the rings are at fault.

An injector that was stuck open would leak compression back into the fuel rail regardless of whether the test was wet or dry.

I hope you get a quick and proper repair done mate. I'm a bit worried about my 118 now. You don't have many kms on it do you?

If the rings / piston has failed in #3 cylinder I would seriously be pushing VW for a brand new engine, not a repair.

Good luck cktsi, keep us posted.

GTI MY16.5 PURE WHITE | LAKIN PLATE HOLDER | TINTS |

Could the ring failure have been caused by driving too far after the coil pack had failed? Coil pack failure = no spark = cylinder filled/washed with unburnt fuel.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozram View Post
    Doesn't make sense to me. I'd imagine they would have removed the injector to do the compression tests through the hole in the head where the injector sat. If they had no compression when it was dry, putting oil in the cylinder would act as a seal around the rings. Therefore if the wet test is good that indicates - as gerhard stated - that the rings are at fault.

An injector that was stuck open would leak compression back into the fuel rail regardless of whether the test was wet or dry.

I hope you get a quick and proper repair done mate. I'm a bit worried about my 118 now. You don't have many kms on it do you?

If the rings / piston has failed in #3 cylinder I would seriously be pushing VW for a brand new engine, not a repair.

Good luck cktsi, keep us posted.
    I've been thinking the same thing... new engine rather than just the rings because it's a deep seated & critical engine component. Failing that, they'd better extend the warranty for a VERY long time.

I have about 4,200 kms and the car is only 3 months since purchase. I can't recall the exact build date... but I'm sure it's MY09. I'd have to look it up when I get the car back.
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    Could the ring failure have been caused by driving too far after the coil pack had failed? Coil pack failure = no spark = cylinder filled/washed with unburnt fuel.
    I drove only 1-2km when the "rough" running occured. If it was a coil pack, they should have known that by now - but there was no mention of a coil pack.
    Skoda Octavia Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    A friend in the bush has an 8 year old Audi Quattro. On two occasions it has lost ignition on one cylinder and Audi has had no concern about the vehicle being drive carefully the 200km to MELB on 3 cylinders for repairs. So I doubt it.
    Golf Mk6 118 TSI DSG |APR Stage I ECU Upgrade | HEX-USB+CAN

Just my 2 cents. I am not a mechanic, however I am a mech eng and I have done the wet and dry test on my old alfa a few times due to blown head gaskets.
    In a normal car you don't pull the injector, as this is difficult, you just pull the spark plug. I am presuming that the twin charger engine still has normal spark plugs. You only need to pull the fuse on the injector set up to stop it firing fuel.
    This is quick an easy. You put the compression meter in the spark plug hole and crank the engine. This is a dry test and will let you know what the compression is. If one cylinder is low it could only be leaking valve, head gasket or rings. You then do a wet test which eliminates the rings as a cause of the leak, as the oil seals any ring damage for the duration of the test.
    Thus if you identify a low compression in a cylinder using the dry test you know you have a problem. If the wet test on the bad cylinder gives the same result as the dry then it is not the rings. If the wet test is different then it can only be the rings.
    Caveat: this may be a little different with direct injection, but I doubt it. The injectors are tiny and run at really high psi to atomize the fuel. It is my (inexperienced) view that there is no way air from a compression test could leak into a direct injector in the cylinder and cause a low test result. Even if it did, it would also occur when the wet test was conducted, and therefore there would be no difference in result.
    So: wet test different to dry = shot rings. Shot rings may mean scored bores and possibly damaged piston. Rings are cheap. Piston is not too bad, but scored bore as well means a lot of work. In any case you would need to completely disassemble the engine. That is why we do a wet test. If the wet test is same as dry you only need to pull the head off, which is much easier.
    I would get a copy of the mechanics report faxed to you, showing the compression test results.

...and a copy of their diagnostic scan.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by logger View Post
    A friend in the bush has an 8 year old Audi Quattro. On two occasions it has lost ignition on one cylinder and Audi has had no concern about the vehicle being drive carefully the 200km to MELB on 3 cylinders for repairs. So I doubt it.
    Driving a missfiring motor is the fastest way to burn out a catalyctic converter.
    Whenever these things burn out (meltdown internally) it is usually a sign of a problem with the tuning, whether in the past at some stage or present.
    I hope that you get good news on your problem ASAP cktsi.
    Andrew
    Par 6 Golf GTI. Coilovers, BBS CH Wheels, APR'd
    Caddy van 05/07 (colourcoded) (BRIGHT! orange!) coilovers, Konis 18in. wheels, Oettinger tuned

Quote Originally Posted by skyva View Post
    So: wet test different to dry = shot rings. Shot rings may mean scored bores and possibly damaged piston. Rings are cheap. Piston is not too bad, but scored bore as well means a lot of work. In any case you would need to completely disassemble the engine. That is why we do a wet test. If the wet test is same as dry you only need to pull the head off, which is much easier.
    I would get a copy of the mechanics report faxed to you, showing the compression test results.
    What you are all saying makes perfect sense. Unfortunately when I spoke to the service manager just then, he ran the usual VW line that they've contacted VW & this was the prescribed course of action.

I explained what you wrote but unfortunately they're just going to have to waste time & see for themselves that it is the ring & not the injector port.

Apparently it's a big job to change the port. They have to remove the inlet manifold (I've been under the bonnet of a Mark V 2.0 FSI and know there isn't much room).

So they will only know friday afternoon if it's been successful. Evidently they're really busy with booked work & trying to fit this warranty job in as best they can.

In the meantime they're having difficulty with loan cars because 2 are being repaired & the rest are on loan. It will soon make things very inconvenient for me!
    Skoda Octavia Mk3

If they think it is a tough job taking the inlet manifold off, they are in for a real treat dissassembling the entire block.

I am no expert, but on the positive side, if it is the rings, then I cannot think of anything they can as a half measure, they will have to fix it "properly". Properly can mean anything from pulling the piston out and putting in new rings, to pulling the whole engine apart, or just dropping in a new engine. I would not be happy unless they replaced the whole engine, as you just never know what they did. If they tell you that they replaced a piston, or bore (it may be a sleeved engine) then I would want to see it and take the old bits home when I go to pick up the car. This is so they think hard about trying to pull the wool over your eyes about what they have done. If they are professional they will put the old bits in the box that the new bits came from, so you can see that it is all above board. After getting the car back I would also try to find someone to do a compression test. It is pretty simple on most cars, I am just not sure about these new engines. It would be handy if a forum member who knows these engines could give you some info on what it is like to try to replace the rings.
    Also if it is the rings you may be in for a very long wait to get the car back. I would definitely be trying for a loan car you can live with long term (2-4 weeks+), especially if they need to get parts in from Germany. When you take apart an engine, you need to replace the gaskets, oil, oil filters and other miscillaneous crap as well. They may not have spares readily available as they probably didn't count on replacing major internals so early in the life of these engines.
    I hope for your sake they have all the parts and it is merely an injector port problem.

Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast