Support VWWC

Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1378

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Yeah I normally do use manual mode as quite frankly I have always had manuals and like them, the computer seems really weird and wants to use 7th going uphill at 70kph, but in sport mode holds gears too long (imo) and I don't want to risk anything breaking at high rpm. Right now I wouldn't have the $1200ish for a tune anyway but it is a good point if it can definitely help extend its life, just don't want to drop the money and then it all blows up. Really regretting my purchase at this time and have a pit in my stomach the more I read about it.
    You just have to make the most of it for now. Use 98 fuel, drive in manual mode, keep the oil fresh will good quality VW504/507 spec oil etc. And as you mentioned, have VW look over it and see if any outstanding recalls can be done.

And yes, normal D mode for the DSG is silly (eg 70kph in 7th gear) and I agree sport mode is also stupid. A DSG tune makes normal D mode less docile and sport mode less hectic.

In Melb, if you want to pursue a tune, go see Alex from Underground Performance. I know some tuners wont tune the 118TSI anymore due to their reliability issues and the blame going to the tuner, but some still will. Not sure if Underground will but have a chat to them. They do sales every now and then for 10-15% off so that brings the price to <$1,000.

Another tune option is Superchips for $775. I had one of these tunes my Golf R and the stage 1 tune gave a reasonable bump in power (measured 20kw increase at the wheels on my local dyno) (VW) Volkswagen Golf MK6 118 TSI Tune, Stage 1 ECU Tuning & ECU Remapping
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Are these a similar engine to the MkV GT Sport? 125KW twin-charged?
    Mine has 155K on it and still drives well. I asked about a DSG and/or ECU tune and was told not to touch it. They are too fickle and closely integrated.
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdManFJ View Post
    Are these a similar engine to the MkV GT Sport? 125KW twin-charged?
    Mine has 155K on it and still drives well. I asked about a DSG and/or ECU tune and was told not to touch it. They are too fickle and closely integrated.
    Same engine but in the Mk5 they are much more reliable. When they were put in the Mk6 (and Polo GTI) they were tuned to run very lean (use less fuel) which makes them run very hot, and the pistons were bad quality - eventually the pistons will crack or burn a hole in a piston which requires a rebuild.

Use 98 octane fuel (good quality from BP or Shell etc - not no-name service stations), keep the oil fresh and you should be ok.

Regarding the tune, most places wont tune these anymore due to the reliability issues. The DSG in the Mk6 is equally as bad (7 speed dry clutch), but im not sure if the Mk5 GT had this same version of the DSG.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-08-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Same engine but in the Mk5 they are much more reliable. When they were put in the Mk6 (and Polo GTI) they were tuned to run very lean (use less fuel) which makes them run very hot, and the pistons were bad quality - eventually the pistons will crack or burn a hole in a piston which requires a rebuild.

Use 98 octane fuel (good quality from BP or Shell etc - not no-name service stations), keep the oil fresh and you should be ok.

Regarding the tune, most places wont tune these anymore due to the reliability issues. The DSG in the Mk6 is equally as bad (7 speed dry clutch), but im not sure if the Mk5 GT had this same version of the DSG.
    You’re right about the fuel quality. We use only BP in our 118TSI. The engine oil and filter gets changed every 6 month and I always put 2.9L of oil with 0.7L of Morey’s Oil Stabiliser. So far so good. The Golf is 9years old now.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The DSG in the Mk6 is equally as bad (7 speed dry clutch), but im not sure if the Mk5 GT had this same version of the DSG.
    The MKV GT has the 6spd wet clutch DSG
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport

SO I had the pressure accumulator recall done, no issues there and they also scanned the car (apparently) and said there was no evidence of misfires or loss of compression. They also confirmed all other recalls had been done including the software update to fix misfires.I think a move to the recommended BKR7 plugs and checking the oil is needed.
    On the downside they identified a few issues; a coolant leak from a loose hose (no my coolant level in the container looked fine, I checked), a wiring harness had rubbed on the radiator and been slightly damaged, and an oil leak from the sump.
    How the **** did this car get a roadworthy a little over a month ago? Given they only had 2 guys in the workshop due to stage 4 restrictions they said thats all they could do on that day and thats fine with me, but it will still cost a lot to get this fixed, do I have any legal recourse? I don't really want to take it back to the guy who did the roady as I have no guarantee he will do a good job anymore.

Users Country Flag
    No issues today is no indicator that it won't blow up tomorrow, especially for these engines. Ask anyone who has had one die and they will tell you it was perfect on the way to work and dropped a piston on the way home. Sadly just the way they seem to go which is a real shame since (as I keep saying) they are beautiful engines while they are working.

"No Misfires" is a relative term for these engines. They seem to be pretty common and consistent and nothing that causes errors (or any real concerns). I'd totally believe that there are no errors logged and once all the lockdown is over I'm more than happy to scan the car for you (I'm in Kilsyth).

I haven't done one on this particular model, you could always DIY it! Sump gaskets are usually pretty simple and cheap to DIY, hoses and clamps are usually easy too but often expensive in the VAG world if they are more than a single straight length. Wiring... well that's a bitch. I'd be looking to re-wrap and repair as best as possible while also trying to secure it away from the radiator so it doesn't continue to rub.

Wait and see what the cost estimate comes back as, if it's done as part of a service, maybe it won't be too bad since they sound like relatively quick and simple issues (except maybe the wiring).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    No issues today is no indicator that it won't blow up tomorrow, especially for these engines. Ask anyone who has had one die and they will tell you it was perfect on the way to work and dropped a piston on the way home. Sadly just the way they seem to go which is a real shame since (as I keep saying) they are beautiful engines while they are working.

"No Misfires" is a relative term for these engines. They seem to be pretty common and consistent and nothing that causes errors (or any real concerns). I'd totally believe that there are no errors logged and once all the lockdown is over I'm more than happy to scan the car for you (I'm in Kilsyth).

I haven't done one on this particular model, you could always DIY it! Sump gaskets are usually pretty simple and cheap to DIY, hoses and clamps are usually easy too but often expensive in the VAG world if they are more than a single straight length. Wiring... well that's a bitch. I'd be looking to re-wrap and repair as best as possible while also trying to secure it away from the radiator so it doesn't continue to rub.

Wait and see what the cost estimate comes back as, if it's done as part of a service, maybe it won't be too bad since they sound like relatively quick and simple issues (except maybe the wiring).
    Thanks for the offer, I'll look into coming over some time as I'd love the advice. Mechanically I'm rather a novice so the sump gasket still sounds a bit out of my depth. They said they reclamped on the hose and moved the harness out of the way, I'll wrap it in tape when I can but I just don't know how it got a roady with an oil leak, surely this is looked at?
    Yeah I think keep it 3 years and then I'll be on a good wage at work and look for an R wagon ( I hope hahaha)
    Last edited by Nolan; 11-08-2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: clarity

Users Country Flag
    So my car is at the dealer currently, they haven't diagnosed it or anything yet (yet to contact me) but I've pretty much feel inclined my car has finally joined the party.

I'm the original owner - bought it brand new back in 2011. Its been working fine with basically no issues since other than having regular servicing. The timing tensioner and chain were all replaced back in late 2019 per-emptively at the dealer recommendations.

Driving today up the M1 to central coast (1hr in a 1.5hr drive) - felt lost of power. Sluggish to climb up hills and wouldn't go past 3,000 RPM - it wanted to stay in Gear 7 for everything lol. Anyway, got to my destination, decided to let her rest. My heart stank basically.

Started her back up after 2 hours and same symptoms - no change. No engine light yet on dash.

Managed to get home after driving 2 hours with no problems - though still sluggish on power as before and 3,000 RPM limit - cruising at 110km/h. My intention was to get the drive down and go straight to the dealer basically.

Got home, parked THEN the engine light came on. Left it at dealer.

I've seen youtube videos of others having a higher instantaneous fuel consumption on the trip computer when their misfiring. Mine usually at idlem consumes 0.8-0.9l/hr with air conditioning. Today, idle fuel consumption was 1.1-1.2l/hr with air-con.

I'm secretly hoping its some valve thing, but deep down, I know....

Its done 162k so far and just had new tyres replaced too....
    MY11.5 118TSI - Reflex Silver Metallic, RNS-510, RVC + Park-Assist.
    Delivered March 2011 and on the road

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dribs View Post
    Mine usually at idlem consumes 0.8-0.9l/hr with air conditioning. Today, idle fuel consumption was 1.1-1.2l/hr with air-con.

I'm secretly hoping its some valve thing, but deep down, I know....

Its done 162k so far and just had new tyres replaced too....
    Those idle numbers look about right for either really!

Good luck with the diagnosis, if the worst happens you can ask for good will, but at 162k and 11 years I don't know how far that will get you. Still probably cheaper to just get a second hand CTTH and get that put in or even a crashed CAVD with the updated pistons *if* you could actually find and confirm that's what it was.

Here's hoping for some random boost pipe or DV that's simply failed! *fingers crossed*

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138 LastLast