Page 122 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1378

Thread: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

Unfortunately i just confirmed mine is FEB 2102 build with CAVD engine.

I have been reading through previous posts and have also experienced misfire with a large plume of black smoke, it's not very regular. I have previously spoken to my local VW dealer and they said the spark plugs could just be dirty and need replacing, well know I'm thinking otherwise.

I also experience temporary total loss of turbo compression, has anyone else experienced this? It generally happens if I'm sitting in 3rd gear or higher with low engine revs and I accelerate then the turbo doesn't seem to kick in. I'm not sure if this is just a manual thing and owners with DSG might not experience this

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Though you dodged a bullet by buying a manual....
    I certainly did. When I was buying it everyone thought I was crazy even the dealer. Happy I didn't cave in and buy the DSG

Quote Originally Posted by sim118 View Post
    Hi Yapa,

I think you should contact VW Experience about your situation once the dealer confirms your engine is misfiring. VW Experience has been sympathetic and helpful in my experience recently (I'm currently dealing with them regarding my Golf - no payment needed and loan car given). Your dealer should submit a claim on your behalf too. Hopefully they will extend the goodwill that was given to me to you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Update:

My suspicions were correct and it was a cracked cylinder causing the engine light and rough idle.

The dealer checked the car and ruled out any other possible cause, saying it could be compression failure on the cylinders but would not know until they took the engine apart.

To look further it would be $1500 to $2000 to take it apart. At that point I told them to wait and contacted VW Customer Experience.

They were very good, giving me a hire car immediately and liaising with the dealer about the repair. It's been a few weeks but today I got the confirmation of a goodwill repair.

Overall very happy with VW customer care and how its been handled by them, gives me confidence in the brand and would recommend and buy another VW.

I hope any others in the future experience the same support, good luck.

I signed up here to share my experiences with this issue.

Late 2012 Golf 118TSI, had a few sporadic misfiring issues after about 60k which seemed to have been resolved by rotating the coil packs between cylinders. No other major issues. Always used quality RON98 and serviced as per schedule.

Last month with about 85k on the clock the engine began misfiring badly as we were travelling between Melbourne and Sydney, about 150kms from our destination. Limped into town to find we'd gone through 2.5L of oil in two days. Got the codes read and then a compression test which confirmed we'd lost compression in cylinder 1.

I emailed some of the executives at VW (Jason, the MD, etc) and received a call within two hours from customer experience. They immediately offered to collect the Golf, conduct a goodwill repair, and once completed they would deliver the car back to our home address in Melbourne. They also offered a hire car to drive back to Melbourne and keep until our car is delivered back. All at no cost.

Obviously this engine issue is far from ideal but I can't fault the way VWA have handled this for us. Their support and communications have been absolutely exceptional. Compared to other horror stories I've heard from other manufacturers, I'm pretty stoked with the outcome.

Users Country Flag
    Great to hear some more positive stories.

While there was a dark period of uncertainty around the 118TSI a few years back, VW Australia and the Customer Service people (led by Jason) have been pretty fantastic in adressing these faults with the minimum of fuss. As you said, it's not ideal that it happens in the first place, but the fix gives me all the confidence I need to buy another VW in the future (not only because I've been obsessed since way back ).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post

While there was a dark period of uncertainty around the 118TSI a few years back, VW Australia and the Customer Service people (led by Jason) have been pretty fantastic in adressing these faults with the minimum of fuss. As you said, it's not ideal that it happens in the first place, but the fix gives me all the confidence I need to buy another VW in the future (not only because I've been obsessed since way back ).
    Yeah, the level of customer support has been crazy good. It’s certainly restored my confidence in the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapa View Post
    Update:

My suspicions were correct and it was a cracked cylinder causing the engine light and rough idle.

The dealer checked the car and ruled out any other possible cause, saying it could be compression failure on the cylinders but would not know until they took the engine apart.

To look further it would be $1500 to $2000 to take it apart. At that point I told them to wait and contacted VW Customer Experience.

They were very good, giving me a hire car immediately and liaising with the dealer about the repair. It's been a few weeks but today I got the confirmation of a goodwill repair.

Overall very happy with VW customer care and how its been handled by them, gives me confidence in the brand and would recommend and buy another VW.

I hope any others in the future experience the same support, good luck.
    Hey mate

I am 100% in the same situation.

Got a 2011 Golf, 61,000km on the clock, had it since 43,000. Have only had it one year and owe quite a bit.

Had it inspected and got told cylinders 1 & 4 had compression loss and suspected cracked piston. Immediately got in touch with VW, they said get the inspection etc etc. Took it to a dealer, they reckon 4 week wait and were overly keen on selling me a car. Got in touch with VW again about my bad experience with that dealer, saying this is a known issue and they should be doing a goodwill replacement. Said that I'm more than happy to explore all my option if they don't want to fix it, without threatening. But I did finish by saying that I really enjoy my Golf and got one over a Renault because my brother and niece both have one and they are extremely happy, concluding by asking if we can just make this as smooth as possible so I can get back into the car I enjoy.

After a few quick messages they had offered to get a loan car, but when the dealer didn't have one, they like with you have paid for a hire car for me until the issue gets sorted - initially for 2 weeks and further if need be. Funnily enough it's a brand new Golf. Now even though I'm sick to the stomach about the outcome 24/7, if that isn't good customer service I'm not sure what is.

It does actually give me confidence they will come to the party and fix it. Got confirmation from dealer yesterday it is compression loss in cylinder 1, and they wanted my authorisation to pull the engine down. They said they "can't guarantee VW will come to the party", but I definitely can't afford dropping $6000+ on a new engine. Seriously what can go wrong with my Golf that's my fault when it's been regularly serviced and always had premium? Like I said I just hope their customer service so far is a good indicator of their goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post

Yes mate need a bit of positivity right now - see my post...

Edited.
    Last edited by Ranger; 06-09-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Hi all, OK I've got some awesome, awesome news, but just want to wait until I pick the Golf up to explain fully. But yeah it's good

Page 122 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast