Thread: Gearbox Judder

Users Country Flag

Gearbox Judder

Just bought a 2010 MY2011 Golf 118tsi Comfortline with 50,000klms on the clock.

In any gearbox mode (Drive, 'Manual', or Sport mode), there is judder from standstill / before it goes into 2nd gear, and again after it goes into 2nd gear.

The 2nd gear judder occurs less often than from standstill.

I had a look through the forums, and couldn't find this specific issue (I have no squealing / noise other than the judder).

I checked the VW website and all recalls have been carried out, including replacement of the mechatronics unit, and reprogramming the gearbox control unit (way back in 2012 and 2013).

I tried those youtube videos that claim how to reset the gearbox by pushing accelerator to floor before start etc.

From what I understand, most likely cause is glazed clutch plates. I'm thinking of getting a fluid change to see if that helps.

Anyone experienced this issue in this model?

I'm wondering if it may be the throttle body causing it.
    Last edited by BTL; 16-10-2023 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add info

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No-one else suffers from judder in low gears? Im surprised.

Users Country Flag
    Everybody has it to a certain degree. It will cost you dear to chase it down. Fluid wont help.

Users Country Flag

The 118TSI is riddled with issues, both engine and transmission related. These cars have bitten their 1st owners, 2nd owners, 3rd owners etc etc and just keep getting sold off to the next person. Sorry to be the one to tell you this - but its true. There are literally hundreds of threads on this forum alone about the 118TSI. Did you do any research on this car before purchasing?

Your shudder is probably related to worn clutches in the DSG transmission which is very common on these gearboxes. My brother has a Skoda with the same 7 speed DSG transmission and has had the clutches replaced twice already and the car only has about 60,000km on it.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler