Support VWWC

Thread: Engine replacement

Engine replacement

Hey everyone,

I just need some advice in regards to what to do with my 2011 118tsi golf.

took it last week to my family friends mechanic shop then to my local VW dealership and they diagnosed the same thing.

cylinder 1 piston ring is worn out and cylinder 4 is low in compression. their recommendation was to replace the engine.

how much would an engine replacement cost going through VW?

trying to contest them rejecting goodwill (silly, i know) but why not try.

thanks guys

Hi Ligs,

I had a similar issue recently. My partner was driving the car (2009 Golf MK6 TSI) and it suddenly started to idle rough. Code indicated a misfire in cylinder 2. Eventually ended up doing a compression test and cylinder 2 was less than half of the other 3.

After some research I figured it was likely a broken piston land between the rings. Long story short, it was. The mechanic who obtained the engine fault codes said to get rid of the engine and cut my losses. But I decided to strip it all down. I pulled all pistons over Xmas and when it came to piston 2, the rings just broke apart in my hand and a chunk of piston came loose.

I have a rebuild kit which includes new pistons and rings and I've order some parts from my local VW parts dude. The cylinder bore is fine thankfully. Once I get these outstanding part from VW I'll start reassembling everything.

As for your question relating to engine costs, I did consider this and have seen people mention anything from 3k to 6k. It seems to vary. Would be best for someone who has replaced their engine to comment on price. By the time I finish I would have spent around $1500 but I had to buy some tools so if I were to do it again it would be less. It's more about the time. This Xmas leave was used stripping the engine and cleaning everything. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.