Support VWWC

Thread: Easter Drive

Easter Drive

Wife booked a last minute stay in Sydney and I was game for a leisurely drive so we took the 1.2T 77TSI Golf MY11.5 for its maiden out of state drive.

We left Brisbane at 6am but hit traffic reaching Sydney so it took close to 12 hours for the entire trip. There were cops all over so tried very hard to keep under the speed limits. Especially with the double demerit warnings.

The 1.2T engine was very frugal. We averaged 5.8l per 100km for the journey. And was still zippy enough for overtaking and getting off the lights. Much better than my old 1.6NA Focus on all counts.

This morning my GPS set itself to avoid motorways for some weird reason so on the way to The Entrance we were on the old winding Pacific Highway running parallel to the Sydney Newcastle freeway. It was all twisty and winding. Which gave the DSG manual mode a nice workout.
    Last edited by DoggieHowser; 08-04-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Users Country Flag
    For once a GPS mistake made the trip better.

Don't get me started about when the hire car GPS sent me though the guts of Edinburgh no matter how hard I tried to change it to the surrounding ring road. I ended up having a comprehensive (and unplanned) self guided scenic tour of the city.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Had a blast running through the manual mode gears even at the speed limits. The Golf chassis is just very reassuring and corners well. Might have a bit more fun with a stick shift but overall it's been great fun.

The "drivers'" GPS struck again.

This afternoon on the way back to Brisbane, it took me off Pacific Highway and I ended up driving on Summerland Way and through the Border Ranges National Park. The GPS also said I could do 100km/h downhill through the twisty bits on Mount Lindsey Highway. I think it was trying to kill me.

But it was a great drive down the winding roads though. If only I had an R