Thread: Early GTis - Oil Consumption / rings an issue?

Early GTis - Oil Consumption / rings an issue?

Hi All,

As we know our VAGs do like to consume oil. Friend of mine has found an excellent example 2010 GTI but knows that the EA888 powerplant can be oil hungry. Are they any better / worse than a later mark 6?

I know my MY13 Mk6 GTi at around 60,000km was using around 1L per 4-5,000km...

Users Country Flag
    Its a well known issue on that engine. I had a Mk6 GTI (2010 model) that I bought with 55,000km on it and it used to burn oil at about the same rate as your car (I used to check it every 1,500km or so and add a few hundred ml).

Switching to a slightly thicker (when hot) 5w-40 oil seemed to slow the oil burning down a little bit, but it still did it. I used to use Penrite Enviro+ 5w-40.

The issue with the earlier Mk6 GTI's is less so the oil consumption and moreso the dodgy timing chain tensioners which are a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I heavily suggest your friend factors about $1,600 or so into his bargaining to have the timing chain, timing chain tensioner and other associated parts replaced soon after buying the car. A good number of Mk6 GTI's (and other VW/Audi cars with the same engine) have had timing chain issues resulting in very expensive repairs (eg new engine, or at very least a new head).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

245,000km down and reasonably consistent still at 1L per 4-5,000km.
    GTI | Carbon | Man | 5 door | Leather | 18" Detroit | Bluetooth | MDI | Bi-Xenon

Users Country Flag

switch to a 5/40 oil and it drops to about 700mL every 5000k, I generally change oil when the warning of low oil comes up as it's close enough to 5000km or right on 5000km, I have done about 150k from new, first 3 years I used the Castrol oil recommended then switched to Penrite 10/10

what is misunderstood is the fact this engines were supposed to eat oil, in fact all euro cars that need to pass specific emissions went to low tension rings in order to pass emissions at idle as well as fuel consumption norms imposed by Euro testing, their quick fix was to use low tension rings which would use more oil but pass all the tests

If a MK6 GTI does not use any oil there is something wrong or someone is lying, BMW did the same thing, so yes they use oil and it's normal as it was intended

Apart from that they are pretty bulletproof cars mine only needs minor major maintenance every 70.000k. like water pump and DSG service

So far in 10 years of ownership I have only replaced oil and filters, 1x DSG service (next one due now) and 1x water pump at 70.000km (new one due now) and 1x set of spark plugs (one new set due at next service), 1x set of front rotors and pads, rear rotors due at next service as I have seen a few hairline cracks, they do use the rear brakes a lot when you give it some stick through the mountains

Imho pretty reliable cars when you think about it, done 150.000km or so and I think it will hit 200k without major issues, engine still pulls like the day I got it