Thread: DSG Problem on 2009 TSI

Users Country Flag

DSG Problem on 2009 TSI

Hi,
    I have recently acquired a 2009 Golf 118 TSI, good news is the pistons are ok, bad news is there is a shudder in the car when accelerating, mainly in the lower gears.
    Sometimes it is fine, depending on how you drive it, aggressive seems to work better than taking off slowly.
    I took a VW mechanic for a drive in it and his first thoughts were the clutches needed replacing, but he wants me to bring it back for more testing.
    My question is - has anybody else had this drama and is it pointing more to the clutches or is there a problem with the Mechatronics unit?
    The handbrake warning light flashes and beeps after it has been driven for a while, not sure if this is related but i thought I would mention it.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Users Country Flag

DSG Problem on 2009 TSI

Id bet my left nut your clutches are shot. They slip quite badly on hills and in stop start traffic etc and then they start shuddering badly.

My sister in law has a Skoda Yeti 77TSI (same DSG gbox as your car) and she is due for her 3rd set of clutches, and the car only has 70,000km on it. They have a short but quite steep driveway and the clutches slip so badly that you can easily smell it when you stop the car.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 09-07-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Lucas,
    I think you're right, it has done over 180,000 kms so I'm expecting that is the clutches that will need changing.
    The mechanic at VW was very helpful and is going to try a software change next week. He said that it won't fix it but it can improve the shudder. I will wait for their diagnosis before doing anything.
    I am thinking of tackling the clutches change myself. I have done a bit of research and there is an excellent video on Youtube on it by an Australian company, this is the link to the video - CLUTCH TECH: Dual Clutch Transmission Clutch Assembly Removal and Installation Guide - YouTube They sell the kits for the DQ200 and you can get them from Autobarn for around $850, better than the $3.5k that VW are talking about.
    Has anybody used these kits, any feedback would be appreciated.

Users Country Flag

Bumping to see how this turned out?

I have just bought a 2009 118 TSI myself and have the same issue. The shudder is only intermittent, and just as you said tends to be when taking off slowly. Besides that it runs great.

Did you end up doing a refit yourself as you said?

Cheers