Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discount on demo prices?

Discount on demo prices?

Hi everyone.

Ok, we have established that when buying brand new Mk6, you can expect around 10-12% off the RRP.

What kind of percentage would we be looking at if the car is a Demonstrator?

From my research, it seemed like if i compared side by side, a new to a demo, the new would most certainly come out cheaper at 10%.

For example. Stock GTI RRP $47835 - 10$ = $43,051.50.
    Most demo's ive seen are around the $45,000 mark. But thats without bargaining.

So what kind of margin would there be on demo cars?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    So what kind of margin would there be on demo cars?
    It's too hard to determine.

A new car is 'new'. What is the definition of a 'demo'. It could be practically and never driven but was on display on the showroom floor. It could be the 'thrash-the-****-out-of-it' test driver which has been abused by every man and their dog and has 8,000k on it.
    It could be the 'dealer manager's' car which was generally taken care of whilst driving and has been washed every day.... but it has been 'washed every day' by the dealer employees with sponges and has swirl marks all over it etc etc.

Basically to me there is no difference between a demo and a 'very low kms' 2nd hand car from a dealer. You have to negotiate based on it being 2nd hand rather than a new car.....

Users Country Flag
    100% agree with corey there.

Demo = used car. Plain and simple. Should be priced as such.
    2019 BMW M3 CS

All "demo" (test drive cars) stock GTI's (i've seen) are around the $45k mark (dealer). I know that a brand new, one can be bought for approx $43k.

I told the dealer this, and they had no response, and we not interested in dropping the "demo" price.

Demo has a limit on how many kilometres it has before it is classified as used/pre-owned/other wanky terms. I think its 2000kms or 5000kms, almost certain its the former. A car can be called new with up to 200kms or 500kms on the clock (again I think its the former?).

This is useful reading on demo's (various kinds - factory, dealership, etc).
    http://helpcentre.carsales.com.au/bu...e/2912504.aspx

Im pretty sure Toyota is 3000km before they release their test drive car as a "demo".

Yep, when i was test driving a Holden SSV, it had only 20kms on the clock. The dealer said dont take it too long for a test drive, cause "we still have to sell it new".

Quote Originally Posted by KWICKS View Post
    Demo has a limit on how many kilometres it has before it is classified as used/pre-owned/other wanky terms. I think its 2000kms or 5000kms, almost certain its the former. A car can be called new with up to 200kms or 500kms on the clock (again I think its the former?).

This is useful reading on demo's (various kinds - factory, dealership, etc).
    http://helpcentre.carsales.com.au/bu...e/2912504.aspx
    Great article by the way. Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    The other thing to remember is that a 'demo' car price would more than likely have it listed as 'on the road' whereas a 'new GTI' would probably have the price listed before on-roads etc.

Either way, you'd never pay more for a demo than the equivalently spec'ed new car.

Dealerships are able to save some dollars by registering cars as demos in that they are not subjected to paying stamp duty for that car (NSW anyway).

So if you are looking at a demo, first find out how much the stamp duty would have cost and then factor that into the demo’s price.

You will be surprised that the savings you make on a demo is not really that great in the overall picture, also factor into this what is the car’s history: ie how hard was this car flogged before you had a look over it.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag

In NSW the purchaser will be required to pay the stamp duty to the RTA. Just like you do with a 2nd hand car etc. The stamp duty payable is still 3% to $45k and then 5% for each dollar above that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast