Thread: Code P0087 - Car stuttering under acceleration/No power in throttle

Exclamation Code P0087 - Car stuttering under acceleration/No power in throttle

Hey guys,

Had this problem with my 2010 mk6 GTI (118000 kms) ever since I bought it. Started as a harsh 'jolt' upon WOT and now after a month its gotten to the point where the car nearly stalls under acceleration, and I need to pull over, turn the car off and then its fine for a while again. Been scanned numerous times and it throws the same P0087 - Fuel Rail/System pressure too low, intermittent code every time. It seems as though it only wants to do this issue when I have a lot of fuel in the tank (> 1/2 full). Today I had the HPFP replaced under extended warranty, and on my way home it did the exact same thing. Could barely get up the hill, the car dropped into second gear as it realised it was struggling but I was getting absolutely no response from the throttle and the power wasn't there. This happened under even light acceleration (around 2k rpms). Very annoyed as it seems as though its going to be a never ending problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    There's some sort of blockage/supply issue with your fuel system. Have you had the fuel filter replaced? Cheap and easy to do yourself and that will eliminate 1x possibility.

The fuel line runs up the drivers side of the car (and fuel filter is just in front of rear drivers side wheel) so might be worth checking fuel lines arent bent/damaged in any way from hitting road debris etc? They are pretty well protected but you never know.

The in-tank low pressure fuel pump might be weak also. This feeds fuel up to the engine then the HPFP pressurises it to be direct injected into the cylinders.

Makes sense that it only appears when you go WOT as this is when the fuel system is under max demand so any issues will arise at this time.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-04-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Pics from my old Mk6 GTI showing fuel filter location/setup and new filter part number if you wanted to change it.

Code P0087 - Car stuttering under acceleration/No power in throttle-xw51z-1-jpg

Code P0087 - Car stuttering under acceleration/No power in throttle-wi5u-1-jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-04-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    There's some sort of blockage/supply issue with your fuel system. Have you had the fuel filter replaced? Cheap and easy to do yourself and that will eliminate 1x possibility.

The fuel line runs up the drivers side of the car (and fuel filter is just in front of rear drivers side wheel) so might be worth checking fuel lines arent bent/damaged in any way from hitting road debris etc? They are pretty well protected but you never know.

The in-tank low pressure fuel pump might be weak also. This feeds fuel up to the engine then the HPFP pressurises it to be direct injected into the cylinders.

Makes sense that it only appears when you go WOT as this is when the fuel system is under max demand so any issues will arise at this time.
    Yeah mate will make sure the mechanic checks the in-tank components out. Fairly sure the fuel filter was replaced not long ago by the previous owner but I'll check that out too. However, the issue has gotten much worse and now it can happen even under light acceleration (2k revs). At the start it was only noticeable on WOT but now it seems to happen quite often.
    Last edited by gtimk6001; 15-04-2020 at 05:05 PM.