Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch is slipping!

Users Country Flag

Clutch is slipping!

Ok just what I didn't need so close the Christmas. 108000klm's, I have never ridden the clutch but don't know how it was treated for the first 40000klm of it life. Only slips in 4th 5th or 6th when you open the throttle up and the most boost is created.

Anybody had these issues yet?

Ozzy
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Ok just what I didn't need so close the Christmas. 108000klm's, I have never ridden the clutch but don't know how it was treated for the first 40000klm of it life. Only slips in 4th 5th or 6th when you open the throttle up and the most boost is created.

Anybody had these issues yet?

Ozzy
    Your car is a manual, I'd assume the clutch is slipping due to wear and tear or the previous driver was a horrible shifter and had ridden the clutch too many times in traffic / lights.
    Last edited by Hail22; 09-11-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Users Country Flag
    IMHO I think you have done ok with it, we usually see clutch slippage from about the 120k mark in my job, but if it is definate slippage then it's time for a replacement, and maybe an upgrade!
    Last edited by GTI4ME; 09-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    '77 Golf mk1 GLS - ground up resto - Sold
    '97 Golf mk3 GL Wolfsburg Edition - JOMs, daily driver - Sold
    MY17 Golf GTI 40 Years Edition - DSG
    2010 GSX-R 750 - Daily rider

Don't continue driving with a slipping clutch — it will cause other problems such as wrecking the flywheel.

Regarding the bluefin, if you revert back to the factory settings, does the clutch still slip under the same conditions?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Aaarrrrgh Clutch is slipping!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies and helpful hints. Never thought about it damaging the flywheel. I will stop driving it now, it's booked in for Tuesday for a new clutch. Regarding an upgrade I haven't had time to research and get one, as I need it fitting this week as I'm going away at the end of the week. I will revert back to stock and see how it goes, I think there will be less slippage as it only slips when I open it up and boost comes on.

Ozzy
    Last edited by Reedy; 09-11-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Ok, not good news. Just put the car back to stock and now I can't make the clutch slip, which can mean a couple of things,
    The clutch is on its way out and can't now handle the boost but can handle stock boost,
    Or the bluefin just chews clutches for fun.
    I'm hoping my clutch is just on its way out. Had no time do research for a better one so a stock one is going in tomorrow.
    Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated and always some words of encouragement.
    Cost for this, not through VW of course is around $1100 approx.
    Cheers
    Adam

Ozzy
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    The stock won't cope with all that much more torque. The first thing I noticed with the Golf R was how light the clutch felt compared to the WRX, and knew it wasn't going to cope with much more. Read vwvortex forums, as the US guys only get manual Golf R so have plenty of experience with different better options. I think the best compromise solution is to go a slightly uprated pressure plate and clutch plate, with same dual mass flywheel.
    Stock will just die again too soon. It just doesn't have a very strong clamping pressure (probably to give a soft feel), so once the surface of the clutch plate wears a bit, the clamping ability worsens and then slippage. Once slippage happens, it will begin to overheat eventually in there and glaze it all up= even worse slippage.
    Some vwvortex info:
    General

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=6855266

Sachs

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=6130844

Thread about clutches:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=5957838

Etc
    Last edited by tonymy01; 11-11-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    ---
    Manual MY12 RB Golf R | Bluefin Stg2 | Milltek turbo-back

New clutch has been in now for 2 weeks. Just replaced with a stock one as I had no time to wait for an upgraded one. Feels good just hope it holds out.

Ozzy
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag

If the original didn't cope with the extra HP, then replacing it with stock it is only a matter of time.
    ---
    Manual MY12 RB Golf R | Bluefin Stg2 | Milltek turbo-back

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast