Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking Engine Oil Level / Oil Consumption / Oil Light On

Mate - take it to your nearest dealer. They should do a "top up" service for free.

A bottle of VW approved castrol is about $30 from VW spare parts. I bought a bottle about 2 years ago. When empty I take it back to Essendon VW. They top up the car and also the top up bottle. No charge.

I'd be checking the oil before the light comes on too...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsock View Post
    Hey guys,

As in subject title, I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff. Am trying to learn one step at a time from the very beginning

So my GTI DSG has got the oil warning light on. I figure this is pretty urgent I'm just wondering which oil you guys recommend for use in topping it up? I looked up the shell and castrol sites and they recommend the 5w-30 for this model, but I've seen other sources saying 5w-40. What's the difference? Does it matter which?

Is there a particular place in Melbourne CBD you go to?

Thanks for your help
    You should use a VW APPROVED OIL PENRITE ENVIRO+ is one and available at Autobarn or Supercheap.

There is a list of APPROVED OILS here https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/vo...0400_50700.pdf

The dealers normally use this Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III which is about $94 for 5 L
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by millo View Post
    Mate - take it to your nearest dealer. They should do a "top up" service for free.

A bottle of VW approved castrol is about $30 from VW spare parts. I bought a bottle about 2 years ago. When empty I take it back to Essendon VW. They top up the car and also the top up bottle. No charge.

I'd be checking the oil before the light comes on too...
    Problem is my gf drove it around for a while (maybe an hour or two) during the week with the light already on before I got to take a look, so I'm pretty paranoid about driving it any more. The car is pretty new <4k km so I'm surprised it ran out this fast, I would imagine it wouldn't usually need an oil top up at least until 5k?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You should use a VW APPROVED OIL PENRITE ENVIRO+ is one and available at Autobarn or Supercheap.

There is a list of APPROVED OILS here https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/vo...0400_50700.pdf

The dealers normally use this Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III which is about $94 for 5 L
    Thanks a bunch! There's an autobarn a few minutes walk from the house so I will go check it out.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsock View Post
    Problem is my gf drove it around for a while (maybe an hour or two) during the week with the light already on before I got to take a look, so I'm pretty paranoid about driving it any more. The car is pretty new <4k km so I'm surprised it ran out this fast, I would imagine it wouldn't usually need an oil top up at least until 5k?

Thanks a bunch! There's an autobarn a few minutes walk from the house so I will go check it out.
    The thing to do is open the bonnet. Pull the dipstick out and see if it has oil on it.

If its in the area with the hash marks Take it to a dealer IF not walk down to Auto barn and get some Penrite ENVIRO+ NOTHING ELSE

Autobarn and Supercheap dont sell the correct Castrol oil DO NOT let them talk you into NULON as its NOT APPROVED

Users Country Flag
    You can use VW504.00/507.00. Penrite & Shell have approved oils at most SCAs, autobarns, etc. There are usually a few European boutique brands in stock as well. It only comes in 5w-30.

You can also use VW502.00. The range is greater. It comes in a variety of grades but I'd stick with 5w-30 at this time of year.

504.00 is a "better" oil. It's designed for variable service intervals (change periods up to 2yrs/30,000km) which are used overseas.

502.00 is fine for fixed service intervals (1yr / 15,000km).

Most people use 504.00/507.00 because it's "better".
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks guys!

I checked the dipstick and it was just below the bottom end of the measurement so I topped up myself. Went down to Autobarn and the guy was trying to sell me some random oil. I bought the Pentrite Enviro+ 5w-30 instead and topped up about halfway. Purring like a kitten now

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You can use VW504.00/507.00. Penrite & Shell have approved oils at most SCAs, autobarns, etc. There are usually a few European boutique brands in stock as well. It only comes in 5w-30.

You can also use VW502.00. The range is greater. It comes in a variety of grades but I'd stick with 5w-30 at this time of year.

504.00 is a "better" oil. It's designed for variable service intervals (change periods up to 2yrs/30,000km) which are used overseas.

502.00 is fine for fixed service intervals (1yr / 15,000km).

Most people use 504.00/507.00 because it's "better".
    Its nothing to do with it being "better" 504/507 is brewed especially for DPF fitted vehicles and is the only approved type for them.
    As such it is also suitable for petrol engines.

The Polo manual says 502 for TSI for 15,000k changes and 504/507 for longlife changes which dont apply in australia.

Dealers however seem to say use the 504/507 in everything from 2009 as they did with my 2010 Polo

Supercheap in my area sell only The Enviro+ for VW approved as the only Shell is Helix ultra extra which they dont have

Nulon sell " recommended" for VW but it is not approved

Read this it Is the full list of VW APPROVED oils

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...GM&usp=sharing
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 15-06-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Its nothing to do with it being "better" 504/507 is brewed especially for DPF fitted vehicles and is the only approved type for them.
    As such it is also suitable for petrol engines.

The Polo manual says 502 for TSI for 15,000k changes and 504/507 for longlife changes which dont apply in australia.

Dealers however seem to say use the 504/507 in everything from 2009 as they did with my 2010 Polo

Supercheap in my area sell only The Enviro+ for VW approved as the only Shell is Helix ultra extra which they dont have

Nulon sell " recommended" for VW but it is not approved

Read this it Is the full list of VW APPROVED oils

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...GM&usp=sharing
    The OP has a petrol engine. He stated this quite clearly. DPF doesn't come into it. I used the term 504.00/507.00 to reduce confusion because that is how the bottles will be marked.

So why did you recommend 504.00 if you know perfectly well that it is for variable service regime which is not offered in Australia? Because it's "better" than 502.00.

In the past I've told people to use 502.00 for top-ups but have given up because I'm over arguing with people that can't read a service manual.

SCA sell the Shell product. I've bought it from SCA in the past. Maybe your local doesn't stock it due to lack of demand.

While your posting of the VW list is appreciated, who's going to look through 30 individual files where 90% of the product isn't available in Australia? It's also been proven that some oils that are 504.00 approved in Europe are only 502.00 in Australia (Castrol edge sport was one).

I was simply trying to give the guy more options than 1 brand & 1 spec because he was in a bind.

I'm not sure why you are emphasising about the Nulon & recommended - I mentioned neither the brand or the term.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The OP has a petrol engine. He stated this quite clearly. DPF doesn't come into it. I used the term 504.00/507.00 to reduce confusion because that is how the bottles will be marked.

So why did you recommend 504.00 if you know perfectly well that it is for variable service regime which is not offered in Australia? Because it's "better" than 502.00.

In the past I've told people to use 502.00 for top-ups but have given up because I'm over arguing with people that can't read a service manual.

SCA sell the Shell product. I've bought it from SCA in the past. Maybe your local doesn't stock it due to lack of demand.

While your posting of the VW list is appreciated, who's going to look through 30 individual files where 90% of the product isn't available in Australia? It's also been proven that some oils that are 504.00 approved in Europe are only 502.00 in Australia (Castrol edge sport was one).

I was simply trying to give the guy more options than 1 brand & 1 spec because he was in a bind.

I'm not sure why you are emphasising about the Nulon & recommended - I mentioned neither the brand or the term.

I recommended only the Penrite because it is approved and know that Autobarn and Supercheap sell it I mentioned NOT to buy that Nulon because I have been pushed towards it by a salesperson and it is not approved.

As the OP is a professed newb I was trying to make sure he got the right stuff and wasnt pressured into something else and he posted later that he was. "Went down to Autobarn and the guy was trying to sell me some random oil."

He didnt say exactly it was a petrol he said "So my GTI DSG has got the oil warning light on." Petrol or Diesel, I dont know so

was covering all bases by recommending what I did and not confusing him too much hopefully

Users Country Flag

I recommended only the Penrite because it is approved and know that Autobarn and Supercheap sell it I mentioned NOT to buy that Nulon because I have been pushed towards it by a salesperson and it is not approved.

As the OP is a professed newb I was trying to make sure he got the right stuff and wasnt pressured into something else and he posted later that he was. "Went down to Autobarn and the guy was trying to sell me some random oil."

He didnt say exactly it was a petrol he said "So my GTI DSG has got the oil warning light on." Petrol or Diesel, I dont know so

was covering all bases by recommending what I did and not confusing him too much hopefully
    GTI is petrol.

GTD is diesel

Tell me about Nulon again?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast