Support VWWC

Thread: CAVD Engine Clattering

Users Country Flag

CAVD Engine Clattering

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a clattering noise coming from my CAVD engine. The noise sounds to be coming from the top left corner of the engine, if facing the engine from the front. Here is a video of the sound I can hear, If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. THANKS!

Clattering noise CAVD engine - YouTube

Users Country Flag
    Not being super familiar with the 1.4 twincharge engine im struggling to see exactly where you are with the camera in the engine bay. I know the supercharger and supercharger clutch assembly is up the back there somewhere and these are known to cause issues on these engines....so this is a possibility?

If you end up needing a mechanic in the Newcastle region, I can recommend Newcastle VW Centre @ Wickham or Twilight Automotive @ Cardiff. Both really competent and honest VW/Euro mechanics.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Supercharger would be idle. Could be a tensioner, there are 2 I believe. Mine was making noises similar and both got replaced with the serpentine belt.
    MY08 Golf MkV GT-Sport

Users Country Flag
    I have heard nasty noises from the waterpump/supercharger clutch. I didnt watch to the video. But if its never had one fitted. I'd be sticking a fiver each way on that!!

Is the CEL on?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey mate, to my knowledge those havent been replaced, The CEL light turns on and off with the code P0238 which is the boost sensor. I have been trying to figure out whether the clattering goes away on acceleration, but havent been able to determine if the sound goes away.
    Last edited by JZULU; 07-10-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    If you are a bit handy, maybe you could take the belt off and see if the supercharger clutch/waterpump pulley is moving excessively ? If you do, don't drop the belt, its hard to reinstall. Even just backing off the tension enough to poke at the pulley with a screwdriver to determine play might be enough

I had a minor waterpump/clutch leak recently on our Beetle and it contaminated the idler pulley on the serpentine belt. Altogether making a clattery/squeaky noise which was hard to pinpoint. Fortunately mechanic found some water stains below that helped.CAVD Engine Clattering-img_0658-jpg
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cheers mate, My old man I think diagnosed the noise by using a couple extension bars as a stethoscope and found that the supercharger clutch was making the clattering sound, I think that might be the problem. also on idle the supercharger clutch would catch every so often and turn the belt 3mm, But am unsure if that is normal, or it is linked to the problem.