Thread: Catatrophic Failure Oil Non Return Valve

Users Country Flag

Catatrophic Failure Oil Non Return Valve

Hi guys I thought I would make a post after a pretty awful first experience of VW. A few months ago I purchased a 2010 golf GTI and straight away got the timing chain and tensioner changed by a mechanic to get that all out the way which went smooth and easy. After that I proceeded to get a interesting metallic hissing kind of noise which after a week of not much driving started throwing two error codes being P0011 and P0341 being camshaft and timing related. This ended up being due to a oil non return valve/check valve in the header of the engine. Part number - 06H 103 175. This part failed and started jamming shut at random intervals, this can determine how much damage is done as if the valve jams completely the top of your engine will be starved of oil. Pre purchase inspection did not find this issue prevalent so unfortunately seems like my luck happened within the few months of my ownership.

This is a very rare and completely random issue but unfortunately due to its placement it is a very expensive fix to get the head off etc. Another issue is that if this issue occurs for too long you will get major engine damage which could go near $7000 in repairs. This part was also never updated so after getting it fixed there unfortunately is a chance it could happen again.

So be careful TSI owners if you start hearing strange metallic hissing sounds be very careful and if anything like this starts occurring for you get the car into a shop ASAP for it to get tested, this is done by a pressure test through the cam bridge.

If anyone has had this happen to them before please let me know because of how rare it is there is nearly no documentation on the issue.
    Last edited by zaRu; 09-05-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaRu View Post
    If anyone has had this happen to them before please let me know because of how rare it is there is nearly no documentation on the issue.
    Not a good situation and costly at that, but I don't recall ever hearing a case of this item failing previously.
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Yeah I have been looking around and it seems like a very rare issue. I have found a couple of bulletins on the issue with the best write up being from a cylinder head company in Queensland. Ill link it here as it is an interesting read: Bulletin: VW & Audi Oil Non-Return Valve - Southside Cylinder Heads