Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castrol edge 5w30 LL or A3/A4 for mk6 gti

Castrol edge 5w30 LL or A3/A4 for mk6 gti

Hi guys, just wondering which one is applicable for mk6 GTI?

Castrol site says LL, but other have told me LL is for diesel cars?

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    The one on the right (A3/A4). On the back of the bottle it should say that it meets VW 502/504 spec which is the spec for modern VW/Audi petrol and diesel engines.

Regarding Longlife, we generally don't use that spec in Australia as we have shorter service intervals.

Another option (although not on sale at the moment so its quite a bit more expensive than the Castrol) is Penrite Enviro+ which actually meets a higher/newer spec for VW engines which is VW 504/507. I have used the Penrite Enviro+ for a number of years in my Mk6 R, Mk6 GTI and now an Audi SQ5 and prefer the Penrite over other brands.

Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-30 5 Litre | Supercheap Auto
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The one on the right (A3/A4). On the back of the bottle it should say that it meets VW 502/504 spec which is the spec for modern VW/Audi petrol and diesel engines.

Regarding Longlife, we generally don't use that spec in Australia as we have shorter service intervals.

Another option (although not on sale at the moment so its quite a bit more expensive than the Castrol) is Penrite Enviro+ which actually meets a higher/newer spec for VW engines which is VW 504/507. I have used the Penrite Enviro+ for a number of years in my Mk6 R, Mk6 GTI and now an Audi SQ5 and prefer the Penrite over other brands.

Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-30 5 Litre | Supercheap Auto
    Actually the one on the left is the better choice (Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL (VW 504/507))...

Here is Castrol's Lube Guide; Castrol Australia - NetLube

Here is Penrite's Lube Guide; Penrite Australia - NetLube

Both state VW 504/507 for the MK6 Golf GTI.

Infact, most VW Vehicle now days can use the VW 504/507 spec.

I have been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL in all my VAG cars over many years...

From the castrol site; Castrol EDGE is exclusively recommended by Volkswagen, and EDGE 5W-30 LL is approved for use in petrol and diesel VW Group vehicles requiring a VW 504 00 / 507 00 SAE 5W-30 lubricant. This includes diesel vehicles equipped with a diesel particulate filter as well as fulfilling the former VW 503 01 specification.

Manufacturer Approvals:

MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51
    Porsche C30
    VW 504 00/ 507 00 (also fulfils the requirements of the former VW 503 01 specification)
    Last edited by ope126; 10-12-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    I stand corrected - i assumed the one on the left was a diesel specific oil based off the description. Turns out (when i actually look the product up on the Supercheap site) that this oil is actually the better choice for you (although the other one would also work).

The problem with Castrol is that they have so many variations/versions of the Edge product, but they all look exactly the damn same unless you very carefully read the label. They need to introduce some colours or variations in the the bottle/label to allow customers to easily identify which oil they need. For example, with the Penrite i use, my Lexus uses HPR5 5w40 which has some purple colouring on the label. So i go straight to the Penrite section with the purple labels and find the one i need. With my Audi i use Enviro+ 5w-30 which has some green colouring on the label - once again easy to find.

PS - that Castrol doesnt have the best reviews.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    The truth is taht teh right hand one is suitable for PETROL engines only

and the LEFT one is suitable for BOTH PETROL AND DIESEL as it is a higher spec oil

The Penrite Enviro+ is what I have been using since both my cars were new and is usually cheaper whn on special than the Castrol.

Just make sure it the Plain + version and not the GF5 which is for GM cars
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Actually the one on the left is the better choice (Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL (VW 504/507))...

Here is Castrol's Lube Guide; Castrol Australia - NetLube

Here is Penrite's Lube Guide; Penrite Australia - NetLube

Both state VW 504/507 for the MK6 Golf GTI.

Infact, most VW Vehicle now days can use the VW 504/507 spec.

I have been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL in all my VAG cars over many years...

From the castrol site; Castrol EDGE is exclusively recommended by Volkswagen, and EDGE 5W-30 LL is approved for use in petrol and diesel VW Group vehicles requiring a VW 504 00 / 507 00 SAE 5W-30 lubricant. This includes diesel vehicles equipped with a diesel particulate filter as well as fulfilling the former VW 503 01 specification.

Manufacturer Approvals:

MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51
    Porsche C30
    VW 504 00/ 507 00 (also fulfils the requirements of the former VW 503 01 specification)
    Thanks for clarifying that. I thought this was the case, but some people on facebook said LL was for diesel, so just wanted to clarify.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dj88 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. I thought this was the case, but some people on facebook said LL was for diesel, so just wanted to clarify.
    Your petrol engine requires an oil of 502/505 spec which is the right hand one but can use a higher spec oil which is the left one and that is primarily for diesels but can also be used in petrols. It does however cost more for no great gain The 504/507 is usually well over $70 at RRP

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Your petrol engine requires an oil of 502/505 spec which is the right hand one but can use a higher spec oil which is the left one and that is primarily for diesels but can also be used in petrols. It does however cost more for no great gain The 504/507 is usually well over $70 at RRP
    Ah ok great, so can use either. That's the main thing I wanted to clarify haha

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dj88 View Post
    Ah ok great, so can use either. That's the main thing I wanted to clarify haha

Yes they are both "Approved" Vw oils so check on the bottle it has that as there are lots of olis similar but not Approved

Can we use Castrol Magnatec Diesel DX5W40 in MK6 GTI? Car feels a bit heavier on acceleration immediately after the service. I don’t know if it’s related or something is wrong again with fuel gauge but fuel consumption for 41km of freeway driving was abnormally high - needle went up 2 lines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast