Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake Servo Defect

Users Country Flag

I have this indication on my new Mk3 Scirocco 1.4TSi.

The link above is sound. To add.......

1) This indication should only be ignored if it is on start-up and lasts for no more than 2 to 3 seconds otherwise consider it to be a fault and discuss with the dealers/garage. Also, if on the move and it appears, consider it to be a hard fault and take precautions because the efficiency of the brakes may be affected.

2) The reason it appears is ECU software timing. The Brake Servo Vacuum sensor is checked on start up before the engine has had time to fully build up the brake vacuum assistance circuit. If the vacuum hasn't dissapated enough since shutting down the engine the last time, the check passes and no indication is seen by the owner. Hence why on start-up it only appears randomly.

3) My "intelligence" leads me to believe that VW are planning to release a software update to the 1.4TSI this month (January 2010) to fix the problem, but it has been delayed from December already, so read as imminent! It will just change the timing (delay) of the initial check the software makes on the sensor.

4) Don't know how updates are completed in Australia but in UK, it would be on owner making comment to the garage or art the annual service as part of all software updates released since last service update. The 1.4TSi had no new updates from October 2009 build as of 22nd December 2009.

C.
    Last edited by RW1; 02-01-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Additional note 4)
    VW SCIROCCO 1.4TSI - DSG (MY2010) UK, East Cheshire.
    Build Complete October Wk43/09, Driving 4th November - Wk44/09. Sorted !

I have the same "defect brake servo" warning on my 118TSI.

The warning, with no chime, has come up probably a dozen times over the last two months (i.e. ever since new).

I also had a failed speedometer when the car had only done about 150km. Yes, the needle went erratic then stopped, started, stopped, started etc. etc. then finally STOPPED for good.

The dealer said that the "defect brake servo" probably had something to do with the broken speedo and would wait until the instrument cluster was replaced. Well, lucky for the digital backup because ...

... 5 weeks later, the speedometer got fixed but the "defect brake servo" warning has since reappeared.

I've called the service manager from the dealer yesterday to again report the fact but he hasn't returned my call ...

Has anyone had this problem fixed?

Cheers,
    MY10 Golf VI, 118TSI, DSG

Quote Originally Posted by vwsp View Post
    I have the same "defect brake servo" warning on my 118TSI.

The warning, with no chime, has come up probably a dozen times over the last two months (i.e. ever since new).

I also had a failed speedometer when the car had only done about 150km. Yes, the needle went erratic then stopped, started, stopped, started etc. etc. then finally STOPPED for good.

The dealer said that the "defect brake servo" probably had something to do with the broken speedo and would wait until the instrument cluster was replaced. Well, lucky for the digital backup because ...

... 5 weeks later, the speedometer got fixed but the "defect brake servo" warning has since reappeared.

I've called the service manager from the dealer yesterday to again report the fact but he hasn't returned my call ...

Has anyone had this problem fixed?

Cheers,
    Thanks for sharing - that is very interesting! Exactly the same symptoms as me (since posting, I get the warning every few weeks, no chime) - although luckily my speedo is fine, for now (4200kms).

Please post once you get a response/action from the dealer (if any!). I discussed it several times with my dealer (Essendon Volkswagen) and beyond doing a visual inspection, they had nothing to say.

Basically I'm just comforting myself with the conclusion that all symptoms make it very very likely to be "just" an electronic glitch, and not actually a problem with the hardware. Of course if my brakes fail, I suddenly won't be so blissfully ignorant.

Users Country Flag
    I'm booked in for my 1st service next Friday and have this on my list of warranty repairs required. I'll let you know how I go on.

I'm thinking of printing out the german translated page and showing them.

GTI MY16.5 PURE WHITE | LAKIN PLATE HOLDER | TINTS |

If it is a timing thing, then pressing the brake pedal several times before starting the engine (to use up all the vaccum in the servo) might make the warning message appear more frequently, thus confirming the problem is the timing of the check at startup.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by cwcarruthers View Post
    Thanks for sharing - that is very interesting! Exactly the same symptoms as me (since posting, I get the warning every few weeks, no chime) - although luckily my speedo is fine, for now (4200kms).

Please post once you get a response/action from the dealer (if any!). I discussed it several times with my dealer (Essendon Volkswagen) and beyond doing a visual inspection, they had nothing to say.

Basically I'm just comforting myself with the conclusion that all symptoms make it very very likely to be "just" an electronic glitch, and not actually a problem with the hardware. Of course if my brakes fail, I suddenly won't be so blissfully ignorant.
    I will certainly post when this finally sorts but, hey, my current dealer (who I bought the car from and who has serviced it so far) is also yours ... Need I say more? If I don't hear back from the service manager on mon I will then start taking it to camberwell where I had my old Golf V serviced (with
    much better service).

Btw I also think we will find out that it is a pure software glitch because I have not had any noticeable braking problems. But, VW has these warnings in their cars for a reason and a VW dealer should take our reports seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    If it is a timing thing, then pressing the brake pedal several times before starting the engine (to use up all the vaccum in the servo) might make the warning message appear more frequently, thus confirming the problem is the timing of the check at startup.
    Thanks for the tip. I will check that out and see if it happens more frequently.

Users Country Flag
    Did this on mine at around the time it occurred. Had no effect by pressing the brake pedal/depleting the brake vacumm. Had it 5 times when the Scirocco was under 1,000 miles from new. All random and no obvious reason why. Cold starts first thing in the morning and car only left for 5 minutes. Not seen an occurance since and now at 2,200 miles.

C.
    VW SCIROCCO 1.4TSI - DSG (MY2010) UK, East Cheshire.
    Build Complete October Wk43/09, Driving 4th November - Wk44/09. Sorted !

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by cwcarruthers View Post
    The only other thing is the brakes do make a noticable noise at very low speed - the last 5km/h -> 0km/h I can hear them make a ssshhhhh noise,
    Don't know if this is the same problem that I'm having on my Tig, but I'm about to have my 3rd servo/booster put in!

Although I'm not getting the MFD warning, I noticed the shhhh noise. I couldn't work out what was going on then I touched the brake pedal and it went away. Pulled over and stuck my head down near the pedals and sure enough there it was. Just touching the brake pedal it disappears. Anyway, had it replaced. But bugger me, 3 months later and it's doing it again. Back to the dealer and another new one on the way!

I should add that I didn't notice any diminished braking abilty, they still work fine.
    Last edited by clip; 20-02-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RW1 View Post
    2) The reason it appears is ECU software timing. The Brake Servo Vacuum sensor is checked on start up before the engine has had time to fully build up the brake vacuum assistance circuit. If the vacuum hasn't dissapated enough since shutting down the engine the last time, the check passes and no indication is seen by the owner. Hence why on start-up it only appears randomly.C.

There's an easy way to create the right conditions to trigger this condition. With the engine off, pump the brake pedal until you feel the pedal go hard (at this stage all the vacumn in the booster will have used up. Start the engine and see if you get the light. If you do, wait for it to go off, let the engine idle for a few seconds, turn the engine off and restart it without touching the brake. The light should stay off for the second restart.

It is normal for brake boosters to loose vacumn slowly when the car is turned off, but if its losing vacumn over a few minutes without the brake being activated, then it would indicate a slow air leak in the brake servo that needs to be looked at. Most cars will hold vacumn in the brake booster overnight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast