Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic recirculation HVAC fault - doesn't switch on poor air quality

Users Country Flag

Automatic recirculation HVAC fault - doesn't switch on poor air quality

As a result of a change to my daily commute I now drive through a toll tunnel and noticed that my 118 TSI wasn't switching the ventilation to recirculation regardless of how bad the air quality was. I dropped the vehicle off at the dealer to have it looked at and on picking up the car was told that the fault was caused by a equipment connection/network fault that they had been unable to diagnose. They told me they were going to need the car back for three days to locate and fix it!

At least they volunteered a courtesy car for the duration. The service rep also said that I was getting a better deal on a courtesy car (free fuel) because my vehicle was less than 12 months and 15000 km old.

What puzzles me is why a dealer with the diagnostics equipment at their disposal would need three days to diagnose and repair a non intermittent HVAC fault unless they have to send test results back to head office for analysis.

The cars due to go back in a weeks time so I'll let you know what they found. It's also a reminder to check that all the little extras work.
    Last edited by prise; 27-08-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typo

Users Country Flag
    Cools, at least they've got a courtesy car for you man

Let us know how it goes

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by prise View Post
    As a result of a change to my daily commute I now drive through a toll tunnel and noticed that my 118 TSI wasn't switching the ventilation to recirculation regardless of how bad the air quality was. I dropped the vehicle off at the dealer to have it looked at and on picking up the car was told that the fault was caused by a equipment connection/network fault that they had been unable to diagnose. They told me they were going to need the car back for three days to locate and fix it!

At least they volunteered a courtesy car for the duration. The service rep also said that I was getting a better deal on a courtesy car (free fuel) because my vehicle was less than 12 months and 15000 km old.

What puzzles me is why a dealer with the diagnostics equipment at their disposal would need thee days to diagnose and repair a non intermittent HVAC fault unless they have to send test results back to head office for analysis.

The cars due to go back in weeks time so I'll let you know what they found. It's also a reminder to check that all the little extras work.
    Good job on the courtesy car... better than most would offer I suspect.

And I can add another thing to the list I didn't realise the Golf did... guess I really should properly RTFM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by prise View Post
    What puzzles me is why a dealer with the diagnostics equipment at their disposal would need three days to diagnose and repair a non intermittent HVAC fault unless they have to send test results back to head office for analysis.
    Because not everything is monitored by ECU, so it can take longer to diagnose it. Also unless they have several diagnostic units, they can't be working on more than one car at the time.

How can you tell?

I didn't realise there was some sort of indication when the auto-recirc switched on. I've never noticed anything on the display when entering a polluted environment. What is supposed to happen?
    2010 MkVI GTI | 5 door| DSG | Detroits | Sunroof | MDI
    Formerly 2001 Bora V6 4motion

Users Country Flag
    i use dto work a dealership. i will tell you a story. when the car comes in to the dealer it is booked in.now since the tech thats is under huge load and the forman says just plug it in and see what you get and a quike look under the dash and have a findall and try some buttoms on the dash and if nothing well it might be a pull out dash job.just a idea what that thay might do. sorry if i scare you mate

Quote Originally Posted by passatstef View Post
    i use dto work a dealership. i will tell you a story. when the car comes in to the dealer it is booked in.now since the tech thats is under huge load and the forman says just plug it in and see what you get and a quike look under the dash and have a findall and try some buttoms on the dash and if nothing well it might be a pull out dash job.just a idea what that thay might do. sorry if i scare you mate
    You've scared me.....

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Users Country Flag
    sorry mate if i did. but thay will might do it or not mate.keep me informed of what thay are going to do.i used to work for vw and volvo.by the way nice ride mate and good luck.stef

Quote Originally Posted by galtaforce View Post
    I didn't realise there was some sort of indication when the auto-recirc switched on. I've never noticed anything on the display when entering a polluted environment. What is supposed to happen?
    Apparently the system switches automatically to recirc when air quality decreases to a certain level. The light on the recirc button doesn't come on though according to posts on VW vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
    You've scared me.....
    Me too..... I think.
    GTI MKVI Candy White | 5 door | DSG | ACC | 18" Detroits | Leather | Electric Seat | Sunroof | RNS510 | Dynaudio | Park Assist | RVC | MDI

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast