Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Control for GTI and GTD

Users Country Flag

Adaptive Cruise Control for GTI and GTD

Hey guys. There has already been some discussion in the Mk6 Golf forum on this subject, specifically in the Golf GTD Thread. So I thought I'd quote the information here, and start this so that it's easier for people to find information on this new and exciting feature (well, new and exciting for a car in the price range of a Golf!).

Quote Originally Posted by dencar View Post
    My VW dealer rang VWA today and was told May '10 is the planned release for the GTD. VWA also said I could specify adaptive cruise control in my options list
    Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    If you check out the original press release for the MK6 Golf GTI, you'll see that they dicuss Adaptive Cruise Control in there.

Adaptive Cruise Control is likely to be an option worth at least a few hunred dollars though - I wouldn't just expect a feature like that to be included as free.
    Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    Dynamic Cruise control is the same price in the UK as the Dynaudio option. $1300 approx?
    Quote Originally Posted by dencar View Post
    Adaptive cruise control is in my order at $2000. I think the benefits are worth it, but it is top price IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Is anyone able to get confirmation if the GTI builds from June/July onwards will have this as an option?

As most of us ordering GTI's now wont get ours till after this date, it makes sense to be asking now if its going to be avaliable?

So as you guys can see - the information is still a bit sketchy. It's likely to be priced at $2000, and information will hopefully appear in the next week or two along with the official launch of the GTD.
    Last edited by Corey_R; 11-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Another option for certain people to worry about

Discussion topic:

Do you think Adaptive Cruise Control is better than the Dynaudio option?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    lol pologti18t

I've tried the adaptive cruise briefly on a Passat CC. It was a very cool gadget, but to be honest I think it crosses the line for me between useful assistance and taking too much control.

I also noticed that when bringing the car to a complete halt, the last 10km/h or so of speed was wiped off in a very rough/shuddery manner. Perhaps the system isn't really designed to bring the car to a complete halt, so I won't put this down as a flaw per se.

My father (has a CC V6 with ACC on order) mentioned that a car so equipped will hit the brakes hard if it detects you're about to hit something, even if the system is disabled. I think this would be very important in the case that you forget you've disabled it and the car in front brakes heavily, but you wouldn't want it to malfunction!

If you did a lot of freeway driving, especially in areas with fairly dense traffic, I'd say it could be very useful. Normal day-to-day driving though... I'd rather pass.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

It would be a great option to have for $1300. But for the suspected $2000 price... its abit expensive (same price as Xenon's).

However the more gadgets the better haha.

I called my VW Dealer today to see if this was indeed true, he said that he was not able to comment, but it was highly likely, and that he would contact me next week regarding this.

So if I find out, ill post it here too.

Although I did forget to ask about the LED Taillights... damn...

Users Country Flag
    Dermot, are you able to shed some light on this? (Adaptive Cruise Control as well as the LED's)
    Golf Mk6 GTI | Deep Black Pearl | 6MT | 5dr | 18" Detroits |

Mods Ordered: RTR ECU Remap | 3" Milltek TBE | VW Racing Intake | Revo Intake Pipe |
    Accessories: Gloss Black rear VW badge | OSIR Foot Rest | P3 Gauge | GTI Scuff Plates | Yellow LAMIN-X fog light tint | PIAA Yellow Fog Light Globes |

too many options called the same thing Adaptive Cruise Control/Adaptive Chassis Control etc.

I don't see a need for half of them and less interaction at the wheel could mean falling asleep etc. Nice to have all this technology though..

Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    Another option for certain people to worry about

Discussion topic:

Do you think Adaptive Cruise Control is better than the Dynaudio option?
    Faced with such a choice, I picked dynaudio. But now I wished I ticked both lol.
    MY10 Passat CC V6 - RNS510, GPS, RVC, self park, dynaudio, cooling seats!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post

My father (has a CC V6 with ACC on order) mentioned that a car so equipped will hit the brakes hard if it detects you're about to hit something, even if the system is disabled. I think this would be very important in the case that you forget you've disabled it and the car in front brakes heavily, but you wouldn't want it to malfunction!

If you did a lot of freeway driving, especially in areas with fairly dense traffic, I'd say it could be very useful. Normal day-to-day driving though... I'd rather pass.
    Ticking ACC on the CC as an option automatically means that you get "front assist". This gives you a warning (including a brief jolt) if you are about to rear end another car. However it does NOT brake for you. It warns you (assuming it is on).

If you are NOT using adaptive cruise control, it will NOT brake heavily as suggested. You better warn your father!

The manual contains a number of warnings with respect to these driving aids. He better read them!

I actually did not get ACC due to your point about ACC's limited usefulness in day to day driving unless you do a lot of freeway driving. Ultimately, i did not order ACC as I felt I would not use it very often, though I sometimes wish that I did if for no other reason than the cool factor.
    MY10 Passat CC V6 - RNS510, GPS, RVC, self park, dynaudio, cooling seats!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Leagle View Post
    though I sometimes wish that I did if for no other reason than the cool factor.
    Especially in combination with the CC's "Lane Assist"...

"Look ma, no hands or feet"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast