Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Control for GTI and GTD

hmm..so in the (very real) scenario of someone seeing a gap and slicing in front of you (Qldr's rarely give appropriate distance when cutting back in, it's a game to see how close to wiping off your bonnet they can get !) does that mean the detectors will slam on the brakes to avoid an accident?
    legit question as I can see this feature being more dangerous than good personally particularly if this happens and the idiot tailgating behind joins you in the front seat.
    Mini Cooper S Chilli- when I can pry the keys
    Carbon Steel GTi 19" BE by Breyton,LED tail lights, NEW 8" Nav !
    Facelift Daytona Grey A5 Sportback, S-line 19" Titanium Rotors

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    From what I've read on this subject, they're using some type of laser / optical device for measuring the distance of the car in front of you (not sonar like parking sensors). This is running fast enough that it can probably tell the difference between a car approaching fast, or a car moving in front of you from another lane and then either holding distance or pulling away.
    Either way it'd probably slow you down, but I'm not sure they'd have it jumping on the brakes immediately.

Does anyone know where the is some detailed documentation on how this actually all works? Or maybe tests done in real life with different scnearios, such as the one GHW mentioned?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    Does anyone know where the is some detailed documentation on how this actually all works? Or maybe tests done in real life with different scnearios, such as the one GHW mentioned?
    The version in the Passat is a radar based system... A guess is that it works on a similar basis to an aircraft's radar altimeter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMCW

Regards,
    - Anthony.
    VW Tiguan 110TSI Life | Tungsten Silver

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by coreying View Post
    How about this?

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms/maste...stems/acc.html

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dencar View Post
    I'm pretty sure the system in the Golf is laser based.

Volkswagen Mk VI Golf GTI – Icons of Sportiness

Users Country Flag
    I'm pretty sure the system in the Golf is laser based.

Volkswagen Mk VI Golf GTI – Icons of Sportiness
    Now that you mention it, there are quite a few references to it being laser-based in the Golf. Strange there is no description of the laser system on the VW assistance systems page. Having ordered it, I hope it is not laser-based because it will be much more subject to weather, dust and smoke than radar.

Hardly necessary though.

Quote Originally Posted by G-rig View Post
    Hardly necessary though.
    Rear enders make up a large percentage of accidents with around 50,000 last year in NSW alone.

You could say that ABS isn't necessary and the same about stability control but they're both common on cars now and we don't think twice about them. This only has to save you once in the time you own the car and it's paid for itself.

I have always been interested in the option on the Golf. So back to the question on the title of the thread - "Adaptive Cruise Control for GTI and GTD". As far as I know this is not an option from the dealers for the Golf (a real shame). The ACC option for the Golf is Adaptive Chasis Control not Adaptive Cruise Control. I guess my question is - Can Adaptive Cruise Control be retrofitted on the Golf by the local dealer? Can this be purchased after market? Any updates on this?
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2014 GTI PP/Pure White/DAP+Leather
    2010 TSI 118/DSG/Reflex Silver/SP+ACC/Sunroof/Dyna/MDI/SatNav /PA+RVC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast