Thread: 2010 Manual 118 TSI engine replacement?

Users Country Flag

2010 Manual 118 TSI engine replacement?

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a manual MK6 118 TSI, and have been informed by a mechanic that the engine is losing compression in cylinder 2 causing a misfire. They've checked coils/spark plugs etc and the only solution they have suggested is to pull the engine apart and recondition it. It goes without saying that this would be costly, and I'm not sure that its worth paying for.

Is there anyone out there who could provide any suggestions/advice with regards to having this done? Or is anyone able to suggest where I might be able to purchase a replacement engine? I have the means to replace the engine myself, so the latter is probably preferred in this case.

Cheers!

Users Country Flag
    It more than likely has a cracked piston which is very common on the 118TSI engines. Personally i would fix it and sell it, but if you want to fix and keep then try and get the newest year model engine you can find as 2012-2013 onwards models apparently have updated pistons and a few other little things.

There are huge amounts of 118TSI's on the roads, so i wouldnt think that finding a replacement engine would be too hard, but finding an engine thats not about to crack a piston might be the hard task.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Hi Harry1,
    I am in the same boat.
    I would like to know what did you end up doing?

Cheers