Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Golf 118TSI - dodged a bullet?

2009 Golf 118TSI - dodged a bullet?

I foolishly made an offer on a 2009 Golf 118TSI with the 7 speed DSG before reading these forums.

I just pulled out of the deal and lost my deposit which seems fair. But surely this is better than the alternative?

The car was immaculate and felt amazing while test driving...but I just can’t bear the thought of having to pay literally the price of the car or more on repairs if something goes wrong.

A learning curve I guess

Would a 2011 Golf 103 TDI with 6 Speed DSG be a better option? I have seen one of these available in my local area. My budget is around 10k

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder80 View Post
    Would a 2011 Golf 103 TDI with 6 Speed DSG be a better option? I have seen one of these available in my local area. My budget is around 10k
    Yes you most certainly dodged a bit bullet by avoiding the 118TSI, even if you did lose a deposit. The 103TDI with the 6 speed DSG is a much more robust and reliable combination, although diesels do not like short drives (stop/start city driving etc). So my advice would be to not get the 103TDI unless you regularly do 30+ minute drives on the motorway to let the diesel engine warm up properly and this will also allow the DPF (special filter in the exhaust on modern diesel cars) to do a clean off burn when required.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Ok thank you for your reply. I feel a bit better about losing my deposit.

The car is primarily for longer trips on weekends out of town. I'm sure there'll be a few infrequent short trips (maybe once a week), but I live in an area where nearly everything is accessible on foot. It will spend a good chunk of the week just parked. Is a diesel suitable for this?
    Last edited by rangefinder80; 23-02-2021 at 03:40 PM.

I foolishly made an offer on a 2009 Golf 118TSI with the 7 speed DSG before reading these forums.

I just pulled out of the deal and lost my deposit which seems fair. But surely this is better than the alternative?

The car was immaculate and felt amazing while test driving...but I just can’t bear the thought of having to pay literally the price of the car or more on repairs if something goes wrong.

A learning curve I guess
    Dodged a bullet? Two actually, twincharger and DQ200!
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Ok thank you for your reply. I feel a bit better about losing my deposit.

The car is primarily for longer trips on weekends out of town. I'm sure there'll be a few infrequent short trips (maybe once a week), but I live in an area where nearly everything is accessible on foot. It will spend a good chunk of the week just parked. Is a diesel suitable for this?
    In this scenario a diesel will be fine. Its just if you did a lot of short drives then i would not recommend a modern diesel.

But for the occasional city drive, mixed with longer trips on weekends a diesel will be fine and you can enjoy the torque of the diesel engine and great fuel economy.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I keep saying the same thing... they are a beautiful engine right up until they aren't. But yeah, not going there is the best choice. I hope it wasn't too bad of a hit.

I think the diesel is a cracking buy, great power and economy as long as you're giving it a decent run and not just going to and from the local shops. Otherwise the GTIs are coming down in price and get close to your budget, although on the low end they are usually older models with high km.... although looking at the options, most things seem to be in the mid 100,000 range anyway with a few options under 100,000. In all cases it's worth checking the service history and what the next one on the agenda is going to be.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag

A learning curve I guess
    I personally think you have made the right decision. Did you lose very much? The other thing with that particular car is that the DSG gearbox was also a massive lemon in this era as well so you would have had double the misery. Whatever you may have lost deposit wise I would suggest that it was a lot less than it would have cost you long term...

Users Country Flag
    well, I was just looking at a 2010 golf tsi118 wagon with a full-service history. And it's walk away time! Is there an mk6 that are worth buying ?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shafs View Post
    well, I was just looking at a 2010 golf tsi118 wagon with a full-service history. And it's walk away time! Is there an mk6 that are worth buying ?
    Depends on you budget really. MK6 R, MK6 GTI and MK6 TDI are all viable options, with the best really the R or the TDI (GTI of some years can have timing chain/belt issues). Stay away from anything with a the 1.4twincharge or the 7 speed DSG.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast