Support VWWC

Thread: 118TSI Preventative Maintenance?

Users Country Flag

118TSI Preventative Maintenance?

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'm new to VW. I've been driving Japanese all my life and a few days ago, I purchased my first, EVER (bought with my own money) car, a 2010 118TSI Golf Comfortline.

I've read about all the DSG and the engine failures here and I'm hoping that my first ever car wont come to that and will actually last a little bit longer to get me through the years until I can buy a new one in the future.

It's currently sitting at 97kms.. I noticed that I cant hear the engine from inside (very different experience from Toyota's, etc).. Shifting is smooth and nice, Brakes are super sensitive, No rattle, squeaking, ticking, or any sounds when turning, bumps, even stationary idling.

Service log books were up to date, was recalled three times with these codes,
    Recall code 24S4 - ECU upgrade, Recall code 37G7 - DSG software update, and Recall code 35c1 - DSG clutch recall..

It's also due for the Takata airbag future recall which I'm also gonna be vigilant on doing.

Now, I want to maintain this to the fullest as it seems to be a very clean car, apart from one (shopping trolley) dent and a couple of paint chips, possibly coming from highway debris (owner was from Geelong).

Are there any preventative maintenance that I can do to preserve the DSG working in tiptop shape and also the engine? I know every car is different.. I'm hoping mine is built good. I have a friend who has a scanner to check if there are any error codes in my car next week.

Since I'm new to everything VW.. What do I need to have to service right away, or be checked right away.

Thank you so much for your help, I bought into this brand and I'd like to stay with the brand as I fell in love with the Golf.

Users Country Flag
    The only think i can think of to help "preserve" the DSG is to try not to creep it forward in traffic as this slips the clutches and as a result, transfers heat into the gearbox. The clutches either want to be engaged or disengaged so try to keep that in mind if you are frequently in heavy traffic.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The only think i can think of to help "preserve" the DSG is to try not to creep it forward in traffic as this slips the clutches and as a result, transfers heat into the gearbox. The clutches either want to be engaged or disengaged so try to keep that in mind if you are frequently in heavy traffic.
    I will keep this in mind! Thank you so much! I drove manual for all my life, and I treat automatic transmission the same thing. I go neutral when on standby, waiting for the light or stop and go. I dont switch to Drive and step on the gas pedal right away, I wait as I would do on a manual transmission, approx time to shift to first gear, then go forward.

I hope that my driving practices and style would in turn translate into a working DSG for a longer period of time. I understand that these things costs an arm, leg and liver to repair. I just hope that mine's built well. I dont speed and mainly keep to the limit and try to be a sensible and defensive driver for the car and my passengers.. (I have a newborn riding as well).. so yeah..

Any other items to take care of?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingGTI View Post
    I will keep this in mind! Thank you so much! I drove manual for all my life, and I treat automatic transmission the same thing. I go neutral when on standby, waiting for the light or stop and go. I dont switch to Drive and step on the gas pedal right away, I wait as I would do on a manual transmission, approx time to shift to first gear, then go forward.

I hope that my driving practices and style would in turn translate into a working DSG for a longer period of time. I understand that these things costs an arm, leg and liver to repair. I just hope that mine's built well. I dont speed and mainly keep to the limit and try to be a sensible and defensive driver for the car and my passengers.. (I have a newborn riding as well).. so yeah..

Any other items to take care of?
    Treat the DQ200 7spd DSG as a manual, yet one that will destroy its own clutches in trying to feel like a regular auto. Basically avoid:
    - pointless low speed creeping forward in traffic - this slips the clutches to slowly creep
    - reversing uphill (try this and you'll smell burnt clutch very quickly)
    - keeping the car stationary on a hill with the throttle
    - when you come to a stock, press the brake firmly and you'll notice the revs drop slightly, this is DSG recognising that you're stopped and putting itself into neutral (eliminating the need to change into N).

As for the 1.4 twincharger engine, I'd change the oil more frequently than the VW service intervals and only use 98RON.
    2018 Golf 7.5 110TSi Comfortline | Drivers Assistance Package | Retrofitted: Traffic Jam Assist | Emergency Assist II | Light Assist | OEM Vienna Leather Sports Seats with full Highline Interior | Power Folding Mirrors

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    Treat the DQ200 7spd DSG as a manual, yet one that will destroy its own clutches in trying to feel like a regular auto. Basically avoid:
    - pointless low speed creeping forward in traffic - this slips the clutches to slowly creep
    - reversing uphill (try this and you'll smell burnt clutch very quickly)
    - keeping the car stationary on a hill with the throttle
    - when you come to a stock, press the brake firmly and you'll notice the revs drop slightly, this is DSG recognising that you're stopped and putting itself into neutral (eliminating the need to change into N).

As for the 1.4 twincharger engine, I'd change the oil more frequently than the VW service intervals and only use 98RON.
    thank you!

The oil has been changed a couple of months ago, Im trying to recall if it's been a year already. Just waiting for my payday and I will get the oil changed right away.

and yes I just filled it up with 98 Premium last weekend!

I will keep these all in mind!